Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

LAJ 10-29-21 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22288405)
I've watched this multiple times and can't make it out. What is that sticking out into the corner/roadway? And why does the guy in front of you move towards the wreck and not follow the guy in front of him?
Jeezly crow was your bike ok? Which bike? (I shouldn't have watched so much lol)

They used barricades to narrow the corner up so folks in the business section of that town could watch. Likely a barricade, or something. No clue on the why's on the other riders. I was gun shy enough on that corner to know it was trouble. It was the NeilPryde, and it did just fine. Some stuff had to be replaced, but surprisingly little. The rear rim was crash replaced at November, though it wasn't a Rail. It got whacked so hard it split in center channel. It wasn't apparent until I got mystery flats, and did some forensics. I used spreaders, and put enough pressure between the beads to watch a crack become visible.

ls01 10-29-21 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22288058)
"I'm not the most perceptive coffee taster at 6 in the morning"

Sold! I haven't used the auto start function in any brewer, but I just may have to start.

I used to use my Mr. Cofee as my alarm clock. Hard to sleep when the whole house smells like coffee. But Tim Hortons ruined me.

BillyD 10-29-21 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22288409)
No. No sir I do not.

You would think the term “crits”, as in critical condition, would be enough to scare most people off.

genejockey 10-29-21 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22288303)
My cadence depends on how I feel and what kind of effort I'm doing. Sometimes it takes me a little bit of time to settle in to how I want to skin a particular effort. The easy 12 minute efforts? Yeah, low 90s is comfortable. The 1m efforts slightly above FTP at the end, though, I prefer to be slightly higher, closer to 100.

And I know that it should be the same and, with my penchant for hunting for the right cadence, ERG should be beneficial... but it just doesn't shake out that way for me. If my stop for a second to adjust myself and my cadence drops, the trainer'll jack up the resistance and I'll momentarily feel like I'm a sled dog, trying to break free some runners that are frozen in the ice. If my mind wanders and my cadence increases, the trainer adjusts, making it easier and I spin even faster until consciously slow down. But none of these are seamless and transparent for me, even on the micro side of the scale, so I'm adjusting, waiting for the trainer adjustment, then adjusting again. In dumb-dumb mode, if I need a little more power, I spin a little faster. If I need to adjust myself, I do so and then I spin back up. My cadence doesn't tend to need as much attention to keep from wandering, either, because it's more obvious to me that the effort is harder or easier. *shrug*

I'm not saying that others shouldn't use ERG, but it's pretty obviously not for me.

You're also used to training with a PM, so you're experienced at hitting a particular power and staying there. Me, without Erg mode in structured workouts, I spend the whole time bouncing between "More Power!" and "Less Power!" The other thing is, if I want to change cadence, I change gear, so I'm instantly at the cadence I want and within seconds I'm at the same power.

Also, as datlas says, Erg mode is merciless, but that's why I find it useful. No hiding. But that's also one of the biggest differences between riding in Zwift and riding in real life - no coasting and no stops. Most of my rides IRL have very few stops - like maybe 8 in 25 miles, and that's including yields - but still, they are a change from seated spinning. You coast down to a stop, then maybe you have to wait for a few seconds up to a minute or two, then you stand up on the pedals to get back up to speed. I suppose I could do that on Zwift, but there's not a natural-feeling way to do it.

rjones28 10-29-21 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22288422)
I think yes to some extent, but I’ll ask. She’s on an organic kick lately. Why not, everything else is organic. smh

The rjones28 Cidery produces organic, single-origin apple cider. ;)

genejockey 10-29-21 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22288480)

Sure, but it is cage-free?

rjones28 10-29-21 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22288483)
Sure, but it is cage-free?

Sure. No fence on the rjones28 estate.

rjones28 10-29-21 12:35 PM

It's also vegan, gluten-free, and non-GMO.

LesterOfPuppets 10-29-21 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22288480)

You forgot small-batch and artisanal. :)

genejockey 10-29-21 12:38 PM

I'm a firm believer in having coffee available as soon as I can stumble out to the kitchen, so I don't have time for ritual. I use a drip machine with a timer and a stainless carafe, because I don't always stumble out to the kitchen at the same time every day.

Years ago, Mrs. GeneJockey decided she should give up coffee - I forget why - so for a while I was going through the whole ritual of filling the kettle and putting it on the stove, grinding the beans and putting them in the French press pot, pouring the water in and stirring, setting the timer for 5 minutes, and then pressing. It made two big cups, with the second one being still a tolerable temperature when I finished the first.

Then came the day - and it didn't take long - when Mrs. GeneJockey said, "Where's mine?", and that was the end of my flirtation with coffee rituals.

rjones28 10-29-21 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22288492)
You forgot small-batch and artisanal. :)

Handcrafted. Local. Exclusive.

genejockey 10-29-21 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22288491)
It's also vegan, gluten-free, and non-GMO.

Since I grew up in apple country and apples kept us fed, sheltered, clothed, and put 4 out of the 6 of us through college, I've always had a special place in my heart for them. So I really enjoyed the apple part of Michael Poulan's "The Botany Of Desire", where among other things he debunks what we were taught as kids about Johnny Appleseed, spreading the apple through the wilderness ahead of the settlers so they'd have something to eat. As you may know, all the apple varieties we have are clonal, that is they're made by grafting cuttings onto root stock. The seeds of the apples that grow on the trees will not produce apples like the tree they came from, indeed many if not most apples grown from seed are damn near inedible. BUT they all seem to make good cider, and by 'cider' I mean hard cider, since cider is only NOT hard for a very short time after pressing unless refrigerated if not frozen.

So, Johnny Appleseed was spreading booze ahead of the settlers. Which was good, because the water would kill you, after their livestock had crapped in it.

DougRNS 10-29-21 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22288497)

Farm Fresh

indyfabz 10-29-21 12:50 PM

Happy National Cat Day!

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bd4f111c7.jpeg

WhyFi 10-29-21 12:51 PM

Dumb trainer sold! Thanks, craigslist!

Also, pie crust has been rolled out and is chillin' ahead of blind baking (I'll be bringin' a pecan pie to the group's EOY party).

Velo Vol 10-29-21 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22288400)
OMG, I'm listening to the Southern Command Change of Command ceremony, and Milley just said ...Seamen, Marines, Airmen, Space Guardians...

They're guarding space from humans?

Velo Vol 10-29-21 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22288513)
Farm Fresh

Farm to table.

genejockey 10-29-21 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22288517)
Dumb trainer sold! Thanks, craigslist!

Also, pie crust has been rolled out and is chillin' ahead of blind baking (I'll be bringin' a pecan pie to the group's EOY party).

Please, sir. I want some more!

indyfabz 10-29-21 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22288497)

Fair trade and cruelty-free?

Velo Vol 10-29-21 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22288504)
Since I grew up in apple country and apples kept us fed, sheltered, clothed, and put 4 out of the 6 of us through college,

I've not seen anyone wearing apples.

WhyFi 10-29-21 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22288495)
I'm a firm believer in having coffee available as soon as I can stumble out to the kitchen, so I don't have time for ritual. I use a drip machine with a timer and a stainless carafe, because I don't always stumble out to the kitchen at the same time every day.

Years ago, Mrs. GeneJockey decided she should give up coffee - I forget why - so for a while I was going through the whole ritual of filling the kettle and putting it on the stove, grinding the beans and putting them in the French press pot, pouring the water in and stirring, setting the timer for 5 minutes, and then pressing. It made two big cups, with the second one being still a tolerable temperature when I finished the first.

Then came the day - and it didn't take long - when Mrs. GeneJockey said, "Where's mine?", and that was the end of my flirtation with coffee rituals.

I'm functional enough in the morning that I don't have a problem managing grinding, pulling a shot, and frothing milk. What I can not abide is a 30+ minute warm-up time for the machine, so I do have it on a timer.

In terms of the Mrs, she thought that I was pretty silly with all of this nonsense, at first, but now she's completely addicted and has a hard time functioning without the morning latte. I usually take the airplane oxygen mask approach to the morning coffee, though - I help myself before assisting others in need. :D

Velo Vol 10-29-21 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22288527)
I've not seen anyone wearing apples.

Correction.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6031e9dde2.png

rjones28 10-29-21 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22288513)
Farm Fresh

Estate-bottled.

rjones28 10-29-21 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22288523)
Fair trade and cruelty-free?

No middle-man. There is pruning involved, so...

datlas 10-29-21 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22288495)

French press is SO MUCH BETTER but I agree it's time consuming. So we have French Press on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays (non work days) and stupid dumb drip on work days.

#compromise