Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Harris Cyclery Last Day (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1232610)

livedarklions 06-13-21 12:54 PM

Harris Cyclery Last Day

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0b6b6a425b.jpg
Just now, Harris family on the last day of Harris Cyclery. They wanted me to tell everyone that the Sheldon Brown archives are going to stay online, and thank the bicyclists on this forum for all the expressions of appreciation and support over the years. They are justifiably proud that two generations of Harrises have been so important to the community over the decades. He also said that if Sheldon had lived, the website would be about 10 times bigger!

flangehead 06-13-21 01:45 PM

Thank you for that photo.

himespau 06-13-21 01:47 PM

Oh no, I've bought a few things from them over the years, and have used Sheldon's resources many times. Too bad.

livedarklions 06-13-21 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by himespau (Post 22100299)
Oh no, I've bought a few things from them over the years, and have used Sheldon's resources many times. Too bad.

He wants everyone to know that Sheldon's resources will be there.

Charliekeet 06-13-21 02:01 PM

Thanks for that. I looked online this morning to see if they had an Octalink bb in stock that I could go grab, and was flabbergasted to read their message. :(

(Edit- yes, I haven’t been on in a couple days and missed the other thread.) Sad day.

Mark Stone 06-13-21 02:02 PM

That's sad news - there's a lot of cycling heritage wrapped up in Sheldon Brown and Harris, even for those of us who never did business with them. It's good to hear that Sheldon Brown's website will still be up.

himespau 06-13-21 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22100316)
He wants everyone to know that Sheldon's resources will be there.

Yeah, but still, since I have and continued to use the site they host, I wish for their continued success. I hope this is by their choice (retirement).

AlmostTrick 06-13-21 02:12 PM

Thanks, LDL. I've bought from Harris Cyclery many times, (online) and of course have enjoyed and learned much from Sheldon's vast collection of writings.

Who is that in the photo?

livedarklions 06-13-21 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick (Post 22100338)
Thanks, LDL. I've bought from Harris Cyclery many times, (online) and of course have enjoyed and learned much from Sheldon's vast collection of writings.

Who is that in the photo?

It's Jon Harris who took the store over from his dad. I'm sorry, but I don't know his wife's name. I'd never actually met them before because I only did business in person once with the store, and it was curbside during the lockdown.

I only found out about the closing when someone posted it here a few days ago, and I was going to be in the area today, so wanted to thank them in person for the Sheldon Brown website. They were as nice as can be. I don't live near there, but several of the neighborhood people were coming in to say goodbye. It was clear they were touched.
​​​

livedarklions 06-13-21 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by himespau (Post 22100333)
Yeah, but still, since I have and continued to use the site they host, I wish for their continued success. I hope this is by their choice (retirement).

He's taking some time off, but indicated he'll be around in some other as yet undefined role.

Like everyone else, they pretty much ran out of bikes to sell last year, and just can't keep it going without that revenue.

CliffordK 06-13-21 05:22 PM

I am sorry to hear it is going, supposedly due at least in part to recent stocking issues.

I am surprised that a multi-generational store wasn't owned outright.

I do think they have the basis for a strong online store with more development, and attention to prices. Perhaps that would be the future (other than the "Brick and Mortar" thing. Time to downsize to whatever would pass as "Brick and Mortar", and move primarily online?

Nyah 06-13-21 07:08 PM

My two favorite pairs of pedals came from Harris Cyclery. Since they are fully serviceable, I will regularly be reminded of where I got them from. Thank you Harris Cyclery! and thanks to Sheldon Brown for so much. I'm guessing that he was the one who sourced these pedals.

livedarklions 06-13-21 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 22100574)
I am sorry to hear it is going, supposedly due at least in part to recent stocking issues.

I am surprised that a multi-generational store wasn't owned outright.

I do think they have the basis for a strong online store with more development, and attention to prices. Perhaps that would be the future (other than the "Brick and Mortar" thing. Time to downsize to whatever would pass as "Brick and Mortar", and move primarily online?

I asked him about that, there's no plan for an online store. There's no warehouse or any other facility. The business is completely closed.

pdlamb 06-14-21 07:28 AM

Sheldon sold me my still favorite bike from Harris. (The fork and brakes are still orginal!)

rumrunn6 06-14-21 08:04 AM

we have a multi-generational LBS in my town, I should go buy something soon

rumrunn6 06-14-21 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22100235)
Just now, Harris family on the last day of Harris Cyclery. They wanted me to tell everyone that the Sheldon Brown archives are going to stay online, and thank the bicyclists on this forum for all the expressions of appreciation and support over the years. They are justifiably proud that two generations of Harrises have been so important to the community over the decades. He also said that if Sheldon had lived, the website would be about 10 times bigger!

THANK YOU for sharing

uncleivan 06-16-21 08:46 PM

I took a frame over there during the pandemic on the suggestion that they might recognize who built it. They were not open to the public, but had the contact number on the door. It was a bit more awkward than I had imagined. After stammering my way through the "uh, I'm trying to figure out who made my bike" I managed to explain myself. Like a lot of us Jon wanted to take a look at something different. He asked if I could meet him around the back. We talked for a few minutes, he looked the frame over, said 'beautiful frame' a couple times, but he didn't recognize the work. Just want to say if you ever read this Jon, thanks for your time and kindness.

blakcloud 06-17-21 07:40 AM

Thanks livedarklions for posting the photo and this thread. Adding the photo shows that real people, a family owned business not some anonymous conglomerate are losing their livelihood. It is a sad day for Harris Cyclery and the community they serve. Hoping the best to the Harris family.

63rickert 06-17-21 11:20 AM

The Sheldon Brown site is registered to and maintained by Harriet Fell, Sheldon’s widow.

mstateglfr 06-17-21 12:03 PM

Interesting that they had to close due to inventory when so many other shops across the country are open and appear to be on solid ground even with reduced inventory.
I wonder if it was the brands that Harris carried or something like that which kept them from being able to have enough inventory? Or maybe it was a mix of low sales and high cost to stay open(rent, salaries, insurance, etc)?

Total guesses.
Just interesting to see some shops close when others survive since the challenges affect each location differently.

Chandne 06-17-21 01:30 PM

It is likely that the brands they carried led to this this but who knows. Regardless, there is so much heritage that vanishes with their demise, and it is a loss for the cycling community. Very sad to see this.

livedarklions 06-17-21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by 63rickert (Post 22106233)
The Sheldon Brown site is registered to and maintained by Harriet Fell, Sheldon’s widow.

And they have posted this on the Sheldon Brown website:

Reports of the demise of this Web site are greatly exaggerated! We at sheldonbrown.com thank Harris Cyclery for its support over the years. Harris Cyclery has closed, but we keep going. Keep visiting the site for new and updated articles, and news about possible new affilations.

CliffordK 06-17-21 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22101214)
we have a multi-generational LBS in my town, I should go buy something soon

I've enjoyed going to the local bike co-op over the last few years.
The founder is rather elderly, and shut down the public aspect of the business during the pandemic.

Google says they're open, but the website still says closed.

I'll try to swing past in the next week or two.

tempocyclist 06-17-21 11:26 PM

Glad to hear Sheldon's website will live on, that man was the oracle of cycling knowledge!

Paul Barnard 06-18-21 05:49 AM

I have never been to their shop, but this tugs at my heart strings. It looks like product is very thin in a lot of the local shops. Finding parts for repairs is likely a contributing factor as well.