Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electric Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   Car Rack for e-Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1243776)

leob1 12-16-21 10:20 AM

Car Rack for e-Bike

So my wife is eagerly awaiting the delivery of her new e-Bike. A Ride-1-Up 700 series. She'd like to transport it on her car. It's advertised weight is 62 lbs(!!). We currently have a Kuat Sherpa 2 rack for the car. I reached out to Kuat and they do not recommend using that rack for a 62 lb bike.
I'm looking at other options, but holy cow are they expensive.
What are other folks using to transport your e-bike? Are there any other good, reliable option other than Yakima, Tule, Kuat, etc that are easier on the wallet?
Or should I just plan on skipping a few lunches?

2old 12-16-21 12:27 PM

My daughter has a 1 UP, which can carry two 75 pound bikes AFAICR, but may be in the higher price range.

kahn 12-16-21 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by leob1 (Post 22341971)
So my wife is eagerly awaiting the delivery of her new e-Bike. A Ride-1-Up 700 series. She'd like to transport it on her car. It's advertised weight is 62 lbs(!!). We currently have a Kuat Sherpa 2 rack for the car. I reached out to Kuat and they do not recommend using that rack for a 62 lb bike.
I'm looking at other options, but holy cow are they expensive.
What are other folks using to transport your e-bike? Are there any other good, reliable option other than Yakima, Tule, Kuat, etc that are easier on the wallet?
Or should I just plan on skipping a few lunches?

And dinners! You/she will probably need something with a ramp to load that hefty beast.

Doc_Wui 12-20-21 08:23 AM

Maybe a second job, if your vehicle doesn't have a Class II hitch. A Class 1 is rated for 200 lbs, tongue weight, but that's right at the end of the hitch. A rack is like 40 pounds, and your bike makes it 100 pounds. Seems OK, but all that weight is at least one foot past the hitch, and the leverage effect makes it feel like close to 200 pounds on the hitch.,Conservative ratings on the hitch are what allows people to carry their ebikes, but don't count on it.

veganbikes 12-20-21 06:07 PM

I would make sure you have the proper hitch as Doc_Wui was mentioning and get a Thule EasyFold XT. Is it is a cheap rack, no, is it a actual practical rack for loading and carrying heavy e-bikes and bike like mopeds, yes. It also stores nicely and is easy to deal with off the car as it has wheels at the bottom and handles when folded so you can just wheel it around. Not to mention the ramp for easy loading of bikes. You can throw away money at cheaper options and in some cases struggle and strain to load stuff or just make it harder on yourself or just go for the EasyFold and save yourself the hassle.