Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Bah Humbug 04-14-20 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21417813)
Very nice. Must be beautiful there, but you're right. Not much thought in that plan. I never had the feeling the locals had much love for out-of-staters once they put their wallets away and now they're more justified in being unfriendly.

I used to know the coast from Rockland to Mt Desert fairly well, loved it, and would love to go back. Wife and I were all set to help a friend deliver his boat from Annapolis to Portland over Memorial Day, but that's obviously off. We also have a standing invite to go up and do a classic boat regatta or two in July or August on my main Bermuda ride, but we probably won't make it. :(

It's beautiful, but even before this it was a frustrating thing. Only recently did they get internet available there - at all. It's unreliable, and the old-timers don't understand why that's a non-starter for some of the younger folks. Then, it's so remote that even from here it's essentially a two-day trip, with a flight and an obnoxious car ride, and then either catching the ferry or having someone available to fetch you with the boat. Certain members of my family (whose worldview extends no further than New England) can't understand why I'm willing to fly to Asia or Europe or Hawai'i but balk at similar travel time to get to a cottage where I'm stuck in close quarters with a bunch of family for extended periods.

Will you maybe be able to go to the regatta next year?

Bah Humbug 04-14-20 11:50 AM

And wow that Canyon thread took a left turn at Albuquerque.

Velo Vol 04-14-20 11:54 AM

In the spirit of the wounded seeds,

55F :rolleyes:

WhyFi 04-14-20 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21417791)
A technology that serves the common health that much seems like a textbook case of something that should be forcibly licensed at reasonable terms to all comers.

I'll see myself and my commie pinko interest in the health over profits out the door.

As I'm sure you can imagine, it's a big, divisive stink in woodworking circles. Prior to releasing their own product, SawStop had evidently been very aggressive in perusing a government mandate while trying to license to manufacturers at costs that those manufacturers didn't think was fair.

Meanwhile, Bosch is a huge company with a lot of IP of their own and they used that IP to bring an arguably superior product to market. Then SawStop lawyered-up and got the courts to see things their way and Bosch was out.

MoAlpha 04-14-20 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21417849)
It's beautiful, but even before this it was a frustrating thing. Only recently did they get internet available there - at all. It's unreliable, and the old-timers don't understand why that's a non-starter for some of the younger folks. Then, it's so remote that even from here it's essentially a two-day trip, with a flight and an obnoxious car ride, and then either catching the ferry or having someone available to fetch you with the boat. Certain members of my family (whose worldview extends no further than New England) can't understand why I'm willing to fly to Asia or Europe or Hawai'i but balk at similar travel time to get to a cottage where I'm stuck in close quarters with a bunch of family for extended periods.

Will you maybe be able to go to the regatta next year?

Next year, with any luck, will be a Bermuda race year, which punches a 2 week hole in my summer during what's generally a busy time at work and takes cruising time away from long-suffering spouse. So, probably not unless I retire or something.

Oh, and my daughter's getting married in Iceland over Memorial Day.

big john 04-14-20 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21417854)

I want to buy one now. I don't know why but the thread inspired me. I was going to post some of my usual insightful thoughts in there but I decided against it.

ls01 04-14-20 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21416960)
A poor night's sleep, a moment of inattention and a tablesaw. What could possibly go wrong?
It looks like we're gonna save the finger minus the tendon that allows it to flex above the second knuckle. They tell me I'll be released from the hospital on Wed. Thence begins 4-6 weekly dr. visits in covid land with an immune system compromised by antibiotics. Is there anything I can do for the immune system under that regime?

#channelingtrainsnorter

yikes! Feel better.

big john 04-14-20 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21417863)
In the spirit of the wounded seeds,

55F :rolleyes:

Poor guy.

ls01 04-14-20 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21417098)
I see no problem if in moderation.

so...one cake?

ls01 04-14-20 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21417382)

looks delicious

BillyD 04-14-20 12:18 PM

Shall I go back and look?

Bah Humbug 04-14-20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21417888)
I want to buy one now. I don't know why but the thread inspired me. I was going to post some of my usual insightful thoughts in there but I decided against it.

They’re good - I have friends who like theirs. I nearly got one myself but decided to get the near-twin to AG’s R3. Then she swapped it for a SystemSix anyway.

Bah Humbug 04-14-20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21417921)

You probably should. Your words do not appear to have been taken to heart.

big john 04-14-20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21417921)

Well they're not insulting each other like they were but it's not a pleasant read.

BillyD 04-14-20 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21417896)
so...one cake?

Yes, one and only one per day.

big john 04-14-20 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21417925)
They’re good - I have friends who like theirs. I nearly got one myself but decided to get the near-twin to AG’s R3. Then she swapped it for a SystemSix anyway.

They do look good and I've seen them in the club. No way I should buy a bike right now but I'm always thinking about it. I'd like something a little more comfortable than my Seven but I like the quick geometry it has. With all the stuff I break I gave up on lightweight stuff long ago.
I think the new Giants look sharp and they have good pricing. Don't know if a Defy would work for me.

datlas 04-14-20 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21417784)
Have you had any humorous moments thus far? Something going on in the background, or whatever?

I have seen a few cute dogs.

WhyFi 04-14-20 12:48 PM

Glad I unsubscribed pages ago. When I get out because it's left the rails... :twitchy:

big john 04-14-20 12:59 PM

I think it's time to brave the grocery store.

MoAlpha 04-14-20 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21418003)
I think it's time to brave the grocery store.

I have to go later this week. It's going to be in MOPP 3.

WhyFi 04-14-20 01:51 PM

Woo hoo! Ain't nothin' gonna breaka my stride - no appliance gonna slow me down, oh no. I got to keep on dryin'.

Dryer heating element showed up a day early. 30 minutes and one beer later and we're back in business.

MoAlpha 04-14-20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21418096)
Woo hoo! Ain't nothin' gonna breaka my stride - no appliance gonna slow me down, oh no. I got to keep on dryin'.

Dryer heating element showed up a day early. 30 minutes and one beer later and we're back in business.

:thumb: You just saved yourself about $150 in bike parts, you know. ...if they're even fixing dryers these days.

BillyD 04-14-20 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21417600)
That's crazy talk.

Your mileage obviously varies. :lol:

BillyD 04-14-20 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21417791)
A technology that serves the common health that much seems like a textbook case of something that should be forcibly licensed at reasonable terms to all comers.

I'll see myself and my commie pinko interest in the health over profits out the door.

:eek: The unmitigated gall.

Velo Vol 04-14-20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21417895)
Poor guy.

Not factoring in wind chill.