Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

thorstein 04-08-20 09:22 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21407098)
Thanks. This photo is before the new tires were fitted.
Truth is , I can't really ride a bike with drop bars.
I need to sit up reasonably straight....

I bet it would look good and ride well with some Northroad bars or other similar riser bar with some sweep.

gster 04-08-20 09:50 AM


Originally Posted by thorstein (Post 21407210)
I bet it would look good and ride well with some Northroad bars or other similar riser bar with some sweep.

That was my original plan when I got it but it's such an interesting piece of history that I decided it
should remain as original as possible
As found
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...04a1b309e2.jpg
These Club bikes are really quite interesting and were a step above the regular 3 speeds of the day.
The EA1 rims suggest yours was originally a Club.

Salubrious 04-08-20 11:50 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21407282)
That was my original plan when I got it but it's such an interesting piece of history that I decided it
should remain as original as possible
As found

I wouldn't worry about it so much- as you found it was not original. The Humber Sports is a gas-pipe frame; came stock with North Road bend handlebars and a Brooks leather saddle. Someone added the dropped bars and seat.

gster 04-08-20 12:11 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 21407532)
I wouldn't worry about it so much- as you found it was not original. The Humber Sports is a gas-pipe frame; came stock with North Road bend handlebars and a Brooks leather saddle. Someone added the dropped bars and seat.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2b0818b6e4.jpg

Salubrious 04-08-20 12:17 PM

Yup!

jackbombay 04-08-20 01:40 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21407282)
That was my original plan when I got it but it's such an interesting piece of history that I decided it
should remain as original as possible
As found
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...04a1b309e2.jpg

What is the brand on the speedometer? Do you still have it?

gster 04-08-20 01:44 PM


Originally Posted by jackbombay (Post 21407719)
What is the brand on the speedometer? Do you still have it?

Might have been a NORCO and I think it went out to the curb with a bunch of other stuff....

gster 04-08-20 01:45 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 21407588)
Yup!

Nice sticker though....

BigChief 04-08-20 06:53 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21407728)
Nice sticker though....

Am I remembering correctly? Didn't we find this model in a Humber catalog in club trim with drop bars and celluloid mudguards?

gster 04-08-20 07:19 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 21408280)
Am I remembering correctly? Didn't we find this model in a Humber catalog in club trim with drop bars and celluloid mudguards?

me too, but that all seems like a long time ago.......

gster 04-09-20 10:50 AM


Originally Posted by brianhamp (Post 21408552)
I serviced my first Sturmey Archer ASC 3 speed Fixed gear hub today. And I also found myself a AW 3 speed dated 1962. I had posted awhile ago about how I never see many with a 62 date. I had to buy 5 other hubs that came with it but I dont mind, you can never have enough spares ...Right?
The ASC is dated 50-5 .

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...50a50861a7.jpg
ASC
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...69f5e01299.jpg
ASC
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a64dcf91c1.jpg
1962 AW

You have a good point re: 62 hubs.
There was a recession in the early 60's and perhaps Raleigh had a big stockpile of hubs they needed
to get through....
Yes, always good to have spares....
You could spend days and $$ trying to track down one little pawl spring to
finish a project.

jackbombay 04-09-20 10:55 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21409187)
You could spend days and $$ trying to track down one little pawl spring to
finish a project.

I recently had a pawl spring fly out of an otherwise functioning complete hub, D'oh!!!

Anyone have one they want to sell?

gster 04-09-20 11:01 AM


Originally Posted by jackbombay (Post 21409197)
I recently had a pawl spring fly out of an otherwise functioning complete hub, D'oh!!!

Anyone have one they want to sell?

Somewhere back in this thread, Big Chief had a tutorial
on making your own springs from guitar strings.....
I tried making one out of a staple years ago...
Bad idea as it rusted very quickly and messed things up.

Ged117 04-09-20 03:54 PM

I've come to terms with the fact that the 1950 Superbe is too small for me. It is the 23" size, but I'm 6'2" or 6'3"ish and mostly legs. The seatpost is too short, and the handlebar stem is way too short. I can't ride it anymore unless I can find a longer post and a longer stem. I'd really like to enjoy this bike and put it in the regular ride and (one day...) commute rotation without sore knees. Anybody got the scoop on longer stem / seatposts that fit these bikes?

Thanks all.

jackbombay 04-09-20 08:22 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21409208)
Somewhere back in this thread, Big Chief had a tutorial
on making your own springs from guitar strings.....
I tried making one out of a staple years ago...
Bad idea as it rusted very quickly and messed things up.

While I'm sure I could make that happen, I think I'm too neurotic to have a slight imbalance in spring pressure between the pawls :-P

JaccoW 04-10-20 01:50 AM


Originally Posted by Ged117 (Post 21409857)
I've come to terms with the fact that the 1950 Superbe is too small for me. [...] Anybody got the scoop on longer stem / seatposts that fit these bikes?

If these fit a 25.4mm seatpost you could look for this Kalloy 400mm x 25.4mm seatpost or this stainless steel 350mm x 25.4 candle type.
I have used the first one to test ride a 57cm frame where I usually need 63cm+. :P

FBOATSB 04-10-20 05:52 AM


Originally Posted by Ged117 (Post 21409857)
I've come to terms with the fact that the 1950 Superbe is too small for me. It is the 23" size, but I'm 6'2" or 6'3"ish and mostly legs. The seatpost is too short, and the handlebar stem is way too short. I can't ride it anymore unless I can find a longer post and a longer stem. I'd really like to enjoy this bike and put it in the regular ride and (one day...) commute rotation without sore knees. Anybody got the scoop on longer stem / seatposts that fit these bikes?

Thanks all.


Originally Posted by JaccoW (Post 21410549)
If these fit a 25.4mm seatpost you could look for this Kalloy 400mm x 25.4mm seatpost or this stainless steel 350mm x 25.4 candle type.
I have used the first one to test ride a 57cm frame where I usually need 63cm+. :P

I have done this as well. For your quill stem, you can use a simple extender, enabling you to keep your original stem.https://www.modernbike.com/sunlite-steerer-extenders

gster 04-10-20 07:50 AM


Originally Posted by Ged117 (Post 21409857)
I've come to terms with the fact that the 1950 Superbe is too small for me. It is the 23" size, but I'm 6'2" or 6'3"ish and mostly legs. The seatpost is too short, and the handlebar stem is way too short. I can't ride it anymore unless I can find a longer post and a longer stem. I'd really like to enjoy this bike and put it in the regular ride and (one day...) commute rotation without sore knees. Anybody got the scoop on longer stem / seatposts that fit these bikes?

Thanks all.

Canadian Tire used to sell the seat posts, but that was a few years ago.

gster 04-11-20 06:55 AM

OT
This is why you should never use the name "Clint" in a comic book......
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bcdd327022.jpg

mirfi 04-11-20 08:10 AM

Ged117,

If you have a Metal Superstore around, they can fix you up with a longer post.

Here's something I wrote up when I did the longer seatpost for my Vilano Urbana (See thread for detail) Common seat post sizes

27.2 mm = 1.07inch = 1 1/16
28.6 mm = 1.125984 = 1 1/8
30.4 mm = 1.19685 = 1 13/64
31.8 mm = 1.252 = 1 1/4
33.9 mm = 1.335inch = 1 21/64 (close to 1 5/16)


Seat posts I have

Hummer 27.2
Raleigh 20 28.6 15inch - 380
Nano 29.2
Downtube 30.4 18inch - 450
Urbana 31.8 21inch – 550 - Shimmed
Urbana 33.9 shimmed to 31.8

Available pipe

I.D. (inside diameter)
1.250 AL 6061 – SCH 40 PIPE

Stainless Steel 316/316L Pipe
0.75″ NOMINAL (1.05″ OD X 0.113″ WALL X 0.82″ ID)

Hot rolled steel
1.250 ST STEEL SCH 80 PIPE



Available Tube


1.250 X 0.125 (SEAMLESS) AL 6061T6 TUBE ROUND
1.500 X 0.125 AL 6061T6 TUBE ROUND **** 1.25 i.d ? sleeve for 31.8????
1.500 X 0.125 (SEAMLESS) AL 6061T6 TUBE ROUND
1.500 X 0.125 AL 6063T5 TUBE ROUND

Common shim sizes

Shim sizes
33.9 - 27.2
33.9 - 31.8



Miscellaneous lengths

600 = 24inch
640 = 25 ThorUSA LOOONG standard $38
Raleigh Tube 28.6(1.126, 1-1/8) fits inside Urbana Tube 31.8(1.252, 1-1/4), that means the Urbana tube wall is 1/16, (.06) inch thick or 16 gauge

jackbombay 04-11-20 02:47 PM

Got this 1968 S5 5 speed build finished up today. I do still need to make one more spacer for the second chain guard mount, but other than that it is finished, and I want to make a "stop" for the front of the rack so things clamped in the rack don't get pushed forward into the back of the seat post.

https://i.postimg.cc/zX8TWjm6/8-C2-D...2-D24-AE63.jpg

nlerner 04-11-20 02:49 PM

^ Nice! You got a better fender line with those tires than Raleigh usually did!

jackbombay 04-11-20 03:00 PM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 21413067)
^ Nice! You got a better fender line with those tires than Raleigh usually did!

Ha!

Yea, the radius of the fenders is a bit smaller than it should be IMO, especially the front.

I should probably take a link out of the chain and add a half link, that will put the rear wheel 1/4" further forward, right near the front of the dropouts, but tolerable, and it will make the fender line better.

gster 04-11-20 03:14 PM


Originally Posted by jackbombay (Post 21413061)
Got this 1968 S5 5 speed build finished up today. I do still need to make one more spacer for the second chain guard mount, but other than that it is finished, and I want to make a "stop" for the front of the rack so things clamped in the rack don't get pushed forward into the back of the seat post.

https://i.postimg.cc/zX8TWjm6/8-C2-D...2-D24-AE63.jpg

Looks like a good city bike.
Lets see your trigger set up.

jackbombay 04-11-20 03:36 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21413109)
Looks like a good city bike.

That will be primary use, but it is set up with some pretty nice tubeless gravel tires, and for a total juxtaposition of technology I did set them up tubeless! I do plan on smashing some longer gravel rides on this bike too :-)


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21413109)
Lets see your trigger set up.



Same trigger set up as a 1963 Hercules I have with an S5 and 700c wheels, here are some pics from this bike,

https://i.postimg.cc/KcTn1DQS/2-F972...D9-EAE8-E9.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/hPqVTQ3J/638530...81-CA66712.jpg

I even had a "speedy switch" were the name plate is upside down so its actually right side up when used under the bar!
https://i.postimg.cc/02dDf5LV/22469-...237-A4-DC9.jpg

Older thread with double trigger set-up,
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...er-set-up.html


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.