Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Interesting finds around the web (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=929230)

Poppit 02-03-18 02:46 AM

Interestingly, the Aussie nationals have been streamed live on cycling australia’s Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/CyclingAustralia/

So, we can watch their nationals live but their was no coverage at all of our British nationals

Poppit 02-03-18 12:07 PM

How about a few extra watts saved with a nice pair of gloves? AeroCoach AttackSpeed? gloves

SyntaxMonstr 02-03-18 12:32 PM


Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 20147634)
Anybody tried the Sugino Gigas alloy cogs? They seem legit, and legitimately pricey.

I bought a 12t Gigas cog off that used NJS parts store on eBay and absolutely love it. It's held up as well as my Dura Ace ones and is really solidly made. Dunno that I'd spring for it new, but couldn't find anything below 13t that I could trust within my budget. Cost me like $25 used with the lockring.

Baby Puke 02-03-18 06:27 PM


Originally Posted by SyntaxMonstr (Post 20148309)
I bought a 12t Gigas cog off that used NJS parts store on eBay and absolutely love it. It's held up as well as my Dura Ace ones and is really solidly made. Dunno that I'd spring for it new, but couldn't find anything below 13t that I could trust within my budget. Cost me like $25 used with the lockring.

The 12t Gigas is steel. The others are alloy and much, much more expensive, around the same as the EAI Gold cogs. I actually bought one used years ago, but the threads were ****ed, so I was unable to try it. They have some kind of surface treatment on them that's supposed to make them last. Just curious if it actually works.

bitingduck 02-03-18 07:07 PM


Originally Posted by Poppit (Post 20146715)
Not really, at a guess you're probably only looking at a couple of watts, waxed chain will be around 5 watts and the carbon chainring around 3 watts so do all 3 and it could be around 10 watts. Marginal gains? https://www.shopforwatts.co.uk/blogs/news

I'd be surprised if the difference vs. Al or Steel is even that much. If the teeth are shaped right, there's not a whole lot of rubbing between the chain and cog- the friction is mostly inside the chain and takes place when you bend the chain as it wraps to the chainring or cog diameter (which is why bigger chainring & cog for the same gear is less lossy - less bend). Watch a belt drive as it goes around - all it has to do is bend - there's no rubbing once it's captured.

The feel on a carbon cog is probably a whole lot better when you rip the teeth off - it's like there's no chain at all.

JimiMimni 02-05-18 07:43 AM


Originally Posted by Poppit (Post 20148284)
How about a few extra watts saved with a nice pair of gloves? AeroCoach AttackSpeed? gloves

Their marketing team needs some lessons on how to sell data. Bare hands are equivocal, or faster, according to their own data. Certainly not going to get me out of my 25 pounds!

Morelock 02-05-18 08:17 AM

I actually find it refreshing and much more believable than most "hyped" aero equipment. I think Xav and crew know they aren't going to be selling to a huge market, but their loyal customers want "real" data, not marketing hyperbole.

The fact is, most people like to wear gloves. If you feel like you have to wear gloves... why not wear fast ones? (other than they aren't full finger / don't say "5bling" on them... not hating, I own 5bling gloves too)

That said, I wear gloves when I ride drop bars, but not when I ride aerobars... but I don't have hairy hands :D

taras0000 02-05-18 09:38 AM

I wouldn't buy those gloves strictly because I wear gloves for two reasons and they satisfy neither of them. Protection, and grip. Squishy palms and whispy materials write them off my list. It's true, they are selling to a very niche market.

Poppit 02-07-18 03:35 AM

British world champs squad announced

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/gb...s--Apeldoorn-0

zizou 02-07-18 06:05 PM


carleton 02-07-18 10:30 PM

Here's one linked from the video above. It's pretty good. It explains much better than I could.

Carbon Fiber Vs Aluminium – 5 Things You Didn't Know About Aluminium


SyntaxMonstr 02-08-18 06:32 AM


Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 20148831)
The 12t Gigas is steel. The others are alloy and much, much more expensive, around the same as the EAI Gold cogs. I actually bought one used years ago, but the threads were ****ed, so I was unable to try it. They have some kind of surface treatment on them that's supposed to make them last. Just curious if it actually works.

Oh, haha forgive my ignorance.

carleton 02-16-18 01:54 PM

This is an example of Talent Identification working. One doesn't need to have been participating in a sport since childhood to excel at it.

From Rio Games to Winter Olympics, Pita Taufatofua takes on cross-country ski - BBC Sport

"Taufatofua only hit the snow for the first time 12 weeks ago..."

He didn't finish DFL. He finished 114/118, beating Colombian, Mexican, Italian, and Spanish athletes, not to mention that he qualified for the Olympics (not sure what the qualification process entailed, but there was one for sure.)

I know this is a big feel-good story for the Olympics because the guy gives great interviews and whatnot. I just want to use this to illustrate that if the fact that we can advance our sport by looking for and welcoming athletes from other sports.

Baby Puke 02-17-18 02:42 AM

Just stumbled on this chain length calculator, have been using it backwards to figure out what gear combos are possible with a given chain length. This can be a headache if you've got short track ends or if you are using a big swing of chainring sizes (e.g., over-geared training).
Javascript Bicycle Chain Length Calculator

Poppit 02-17-18 05:53 AM

For info, GB omnium champs live at our Velodrome in Derby.


ruudlaff 02-17-18 12:57 PM


Originally Posted by Poppit (Post 20174236)
For info, GB omnium champs live at our Velodrome in Derby.

https://youtu.be/YRKcrCkDbrY

Thanks for this 👍

Monkeyfudger 02-18-18 01:10 PM

This popped up on my FB feed. Harry Tanfield’s from Omnium champs https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...0e&oe=5B04B6F5

Morelock 02-18-18 02:02 PM

Had a good number of (road) fibre lyte rings... great product, last forever.

On an aside... I know on one of the threads a few weeks ago somebody linked to a company that made (metal) larger chainrings. (56+) For some reason I can't search it up. Help? Don't want to buy a $400 Zen ring. :O

JimiMimni 02-18-18 02:17 PM


Originally Posted by Morelock (Post 20176447)
Had a good number of (road) fibre lyte rings... great product, last forever.

On an aside... I know on one of the threads a few weeks ago somebody linked to a company that made (metal) larger chainrings. (56+) For some reason I can't search it up. Help? Don't want to buy a $400 Zen ring. :O

GR8 rings in Australia will do custom orders on almost any size you like.

GR8 - Home

I ordered some last year and they arrived quickly. They're pretty nice rings, too. Nicer than the FSAs, but maybe not Shimano 7710.

SyntaxMonstr 02-18-18 04:39 PM


Originally Posted by Morelock (Post 20176447)
Had a good number of (road) fibre lyte rings... great product, last forever.

On an aside... I know on one of the threads a few weeks ago somebody linked to a company that made (metal) larger chainrings. (56+) For some reason I can't search it up. Help? Don't want to buy a $400 Zen ring. :O

Gebhardt Chain Rings ? The Blackline

Some of my friends use these in 57-60.

tobukog 02-18-18 06:24 PM

Gebhardt in those sizes is only 1/8. That's so 2000s. 3/32 if you want to race.

Morelock 02-18-18 08:22 PM

brilliant!

Thanks guys.

jsk 02-18-18 10:33 PM

Dixie Flyer also sells chainrings up to 64t.

700wheel 02-19-18 04:49 PM

I was a little surprised to read this on the British Cycling web site https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/kn...Cooling-Down-0

A good rule of thumb is that the shorter and more explosive an event is, the longer a warm-up needs to be. Before an all-out effort such as track sprint, riders may spend more than an hour building up to the race.


What warm up period do people on this forum use for 500m?
Thanks.

Baby Puke 02-19-18 08:18 PM

Asian track championships results:
https://atresults.wixsite.com/attiming/acct2018

Japanese elite men taking the kilo, sprints, team sprint, team pursuit, and individual pursuit; Japanese elite women taking team pursuit and omnium so far.

Clythio 02-19-18 10:36 PM


Originally Posted by 700wheel (Post 20178592)
I was a little surprised to read this on the British Cycling web site https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/kn...Cooling-Down-0

A good rule of thumb is that the shorter and more explosive an event is, the longer a warm-up needs to be. Before an all-out effort such as track sprint, riders may spend more than an hour building up to the race.


What warm up period do people on this forum use for 500m?
Thanks.

What about training? I've seen people just resting over soft eiderdowns for 10, 15 min, then roll lazy for a lap or two and.. jump for a very fast lap from stand.. roll down for two laps, stop, and get back to the blankets for 10, 15 min.... not my old fashion way of doing things..

taras0000 02-19-18 10:43 PM


Originally Posted by 700wheel (Post 20178592)
I was a little surprised to read this on the British Cycling web site https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/kn...Cooling-Down-0

A good rule of thumb is that the shorter and more explosive an event is, the longer a warm-up needs to be. Before an all-out effort such as track sprint, riders may spend more than an hour building up to the race.


What warm up period do people on this forum use for 500m?
Thanks.

Back in the day my "warm up" for the Kilo would start at 3 hours out if I didn't have any other races that day (and that would be my "perfect prep/warm up).

Basically for me, my body needs to be moving for quite a while before I can optimally max out. Can't quite explain it, but it's sort of like some people's brains are only 100% fully awake 2-3 hours after they wake up. My body is the same way, so basically, I would just ride the rollers real easy on and off for the first 2 hours, for 5-10 minutes at a time, and get a light sweat going early on. It also helps to get one's head in the right mind set. My real warm-up to the event was actually started about an hour out.

Basically for an intense event, you want to warm up longer to space out any efforts you do. An explosive event requires that you "wake-up" the nervous system so that you can literally fire all of your muscles at once. Spacing out these efforts allows one to properly recover and not tax themselves too much before the actual event.

carleton 02-19-18 11:33 PM


Originally Posted by Clythio (Post 20179119)
What about training? I've seen people just resting over soft eiderdowns for 10, 15 min, then roll lazy for a lap or two and.. jump for a very fast lap from stand.. roll down for two laps, stop, and get back to the blankets for 10, 15 min.... not my old fashion way of doing things..

Ummm...were you watching me at the track on Sunday? :foo:

SyntaxMonstr 02-20-18 02:38 AM


Originally Posted by tobukog (Post 20176857)
Gebhardt in those sizes is only 1/8. That's so 2000s. 3/32 if you want to race.

Wait what's the reasoning here?

topflightpro 02-20-18 07:15 AM

I got some Gr8 rings a few weeks ago. I haven't used them by they seem nice. A buddy was putting in an order, and he asked me if I wanted to order some too, to split shipping. I wasn't planning to get rings then, but I figured what the heck.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.