Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Question about selling a bike with motor conversion. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1274504)

Moe Zhoost 06-09-23 07:14 AM

Question about selling a bike with motor conversion.

I am contemplating selling a nice Trek FS2 that's been converted with a mid-drive motor. I can sell it as is or remove the motorizing bits to revert to original configuration. Any recommendations on which would result in an easier sale? I'm thinking that the lower price of the original will be attractive, though since folks are clamoring for e-bikes, perhaps they would prefer to pay ~$500 more for a very nice conversion.

Also: Posted here instead of the e-bike forum for a better balance of opinions.

Thanks

shelbyfv 06-09-23 07:19 AM

I'd switch it back and sell the conversion kit separately. You'll have a much larger pool of interested buyers.

SurferRosa 06-09-23 10:17 AM

How long does it take to switch back and forth? Maybe list it both ways.

Moe Zhoost 06-09-23 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 22918042)
How long does it take to switch back and forth? Maybe list it both ways.

There's quite a bit of effort to convert it back; perhaps 5-6 hours. What I'll probably do is offer it as an e-bike first and see what happens. Thanks

veganbikes 06-09-23 07:03 PM

I would probably just sell it as is, you probably won't get any of the time spent removing and installing that kit back monetarily and you might not get much for the bike as a former e-bike so just leave it and sell it as is and porbably you will have better luck.

XxHaimBondxX 06-10-23 07:05 AM

What it looks like? If done clean it may worth selling it as a whole.

mtnbud 06-10-23 07:32 AM

Based on my observations on CL and Facebook Marketplace, a nice used ebike sells for around $1000 here. Most people around here aren't willing or don't have the skills to put in the effort to buy a conversion kit and build up a bike themselves.

Moe Zhoost 06-14-23 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX (Post 22918943)
What it looks like? If done clean it may worth selling it as a whole.

It actually is pretty well done. I took a lot of time to route the wires and position the controls.

Originally Posted by mtnbud (Post 22918969)
Based on my observations on CL and Facebook Marketplace, a nice used ebike sells for around $1000 here. Most people around here aren't willing or don't have the skills to put in the effort to buy a conversion kit and build up a bike themselves.

Yep that's what I was thinking too. I bought the bike used for $300 and the motor kit and battery ran about $800 so if I can get at least $700, I'll feel good.

2old 06-14-23 10:40 AM

Try posting it assembled and offer to separate if you don'e receive any offers for the "total package".