Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

ksryder 08-10-21 10:05 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22178620)
I've got a friend with a Wahoo unit that is a total POS. Consistently records multi Ks of elevation on rides as somewhere between 0-200 feet, drops his PM etc.

I'm 100% satisfied w/ my 530

My Wahoo did that after I accidentally left it in my jersey pocket and sent it through the wash. It still recorded distance just fine but the elevation was jacked. Wahoo was kind enough to give me the 40% crash replacement discount, however.

I've never had a Garmin so I can't speak from experience. I have friends who have had their Garmins for years with no issues, and others who have all sorts of problems. I know people who work at Garmin Customer Support and I know they really try their best to fix things.

genejockey 08-10-21 10:09 AM

Killing time at The Ancestral Home before leaving for the airport to kill still more time before a 6PM flight. I don't know why but as soon as I got here I jumped into my same sleep schedule, shifted 3 hrs earlier. I've been going to sleep at 11-12 and waking up between 7 and 8, which is what I do at home, but as I say, 3 hours earlier. I'm curious what will happen when I get home.

WhyFi 08-10-21 10:09 AM


Originally Posted by ksryder (Post 22178649)
I remember one guy in particular -- we were riding side by side in a double paceline and he started drifting over towards me. I didn't say anything because I assumed he would see me before he put me in the ditch but he just kept drifting until I had to yell at him before it was too late. He felt terrible. In hindsight, and putting together some questionable behavior on other rides with this guy in the past, I came to the conclusion that he doesn't have any peripheral vision. It would explain most of his crashes.

We've got a guy like that. He hasn't shown up for a ride in more than a year, though. While we miss him somewhat, he is a nice guy, after all, it's partially mitigated with the knowledge that things can get a little dicey when he's around (actually, the last ride that he did with us, he drifted in to the person next to him, just like in your situation, and their bars got hooked - he fell and broke his collarbone).

indyfabz 08-10-21 10:09 AM

Today’s installment of people doing dumb stuff.


seedsbelize 08-10-21 10:22 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22178457)
I am askeered the TSA will confiscate any bike tools that I might bring. I will have to ask the FoF from whom I am borrowing the bicycle if he has a pump and multi-tool etc. I can borrow.

Supposedly they are ok with tools less than 7 inches long, so I would like to think I am good. There is a bad joke there but I won't touch it.

I just got back from a round trip, carrying tools onboard(the bike case had weight problems). Can confirm it's ok. There's a TSA website. I found it by asking What can I bring?.

datlas 08-10-21 10:23 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22178665)
We've got a guy like that. He hasn't shown up for a ride in more than a year, though. While we miss him somewhat, he is a nice guy, after all, it's partially mitigated with the knowledge that things can get a little dicey when he's around (actually, the last ride that he did with us, he drifted in to the person next to him, just like in your situation, and their bars got hooked - he fell and broke his collarbone).

We had a guy like that. Super nice. Was aware of his peripheral vision deficits and had bar-end rearview mirrors BOTH SIDES. He still crashed sometimes, and a few years ago had a major crash into the end of a guardrail and shattered his femur. His wife put her foot down and banned him from riding and that's the last we have seen of him.

WhyFi 08-10-21 10:26 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22178694)
His wife put her foot down and banned him from riding and that's the last we have seen of him.

We think that this may be the case with our guy, too. He says that everything is cool, but we know that she's got some animosity towards us and doesn't understand that he's the cause of his problems.

seedsbelize 08-10-21 10:32 AM

Some years ago, while out riding solo, I came upon a largish paceline. I was acquainted with some of them, so I tagged along, moving forward steadily. Then a guy in a white Cervelo kit just sat up. No hands. In a paceline. No one else seemed concerned. I drifted back quickly and let them get a good lead on me. Geeesh!

seedsbelize 08-10-21 10:44 AM

I got two free months of Prime, leading up to my trip. I bought three mirrors, two for me and one for my wife. I can recommend the Cateye BM-45 bar end mrror over the larger Hafny. Fyi.I also bought a chromebook, cartridge bb, and the emergency gatorskins and three tubes. Some of it arrived the next day. Astonishing.

BillyD 08-10-21 10:51 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22178453)
No drink. No drugs. No smoke. Not too many regrets.

Heh, I did all of those and more. :D

#WineWomenAndSong

Velo Vol 08-10-21 11:00 AM

Nope.

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22178439)
I'll be triple masking.

SMH

MoAlpha 08-10-21 11:01 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22178694)
We had a guy like that. Super nice. Was aware of his peripheral vision deficits and had bar-end rearview mirrors BOTH SIDES. He still crashed sometimes, and a few years ago had a major crash into the end of a guardrail and shattered his femur. His wife put her foot down and banned him from riding and that's the last we have seen of him.

How old?

https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-demen...rtical-atrophy

Seen a bunch of these and the visual processing issues can be localized and subtle at first. A common finding is difficulty processing two objects simultaneously and the central object has priority. That can look like peripheral visual loss.

datlas 08-10-21 11:04 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22178743)
How old?

https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-demen...rtical-atrophy

Seen a bunch of these and the visual processing issues can be localized and subtle at first.

Interesting. They taught us in medical school 25 years ago that patients with AD and similar dementias have a preserved occipital cortex and low risk for visual problems. I suppose it's more complicated than that. Maybe suggest some Prevagen??

MoAlpha 08-10-21 11:15 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22178750)
Interesting. They taught us in medical school 25 years ago that patients with AD and similar dementias have a preserved occipital cortex and low risk for visual problems. I suppose it's more complicated than that. Maybe suggest some Prevagen??

It's fairly common in neurodegenerative disease clinics and patients often confused with corticobasal syndrome or other disorders causing bi-parietal atrophy. I bet it's the most common cause of "Balint syndrome" and "simultagnosia," which are supposed to be exotic stroke or brain trauma syndromes.

A little prevagen will clear that right up!

Velo Vol 08-10-21 11:28 AM

Rough stretch of videos here. Let's get things back on track.


Velo Vol 08-10-21 12:02 PM

Three weeks

Trsnrtr 08-10-21 12:07 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22178327)
Bring tools. New cleats often loosen up on the first ride and need to be tightened.

Shoe pics??

I always carry a tool for the first 100 miles or so. I got them close as far as centering for the knees but i think they are just a little too far forward, both by looking down and also pressure on the balls of my feet.

No pics, but these are LAKE CX238 model in all black so a pic wouldn't be worth much anyway.

Mojo31 08-10-21 12:07 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22178764)
It's fairly common in neurodegenerative disease clinics and patients often confused with corticobasal syndrome or other disorders causing bi-parietal atrophy. I bet it's the most common cause of "Balint syndrome" and "simultagnosia," which are supposed to be exotic stroke or brain trauma syndromes.

A little prevagen will clear that right up!


Trsnrtr 08-10-21 12:13 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22178453)
No drink. No drugs. No smoke. Not too many regrets.

And, we don't go with the girls that do

Trsnrtr 08-10-21 12:15 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22178457)
I am askeered the TSA will confiscate any bike tools that I might bring. I will have to ask the FoF from whom I am borrowing the bicycle if he has a pump and multi-tool etc. I can borrow.

Supposedly they are ok with tools less than 7 inches long, so I would like to think I am good. There is a bad joke there but I won't touch it.

We've taken a tandem a few times to Europe and the TSA has never worried about our bike tools in checked luggage but they've removed our CO2 carts twice.

MoAlpha 08-10-21 12:19 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22178843)
I always carry a tool for the first 100 miles or so. I got them close as far as centering for the knees but i think they are just a little too far forward, both by looking down and also pressure on the balls of my feet.

No pics, but these are LAKE CX238 model in all black so a pic wouldn't be worth much anyway.

I have a set of those and yes, they are not nearly as interesting as my S-Works 7s, but they are lovely shoes.

Trsnrtr 08-10-21 12:20 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22178750)
IMaybe suggest some Prevagen??

I thought Prevagen has been debunked by most medical experts and I'm pretty sure that they have to keep changing their ads because of running afoul of whoever regulates advertising. It's also damn expensive.

Mojo31 08-10-21 12:22 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22178864)
I have a set of those and yes, they are not nearly as interesting as my S-Works 7s, but they are lovely shoes.

Tried on a pair of the S-Works 7s once, and was really tempted to pull the trigger. Just couldn't do it at $400.

Really nice shoe though.

Trsnrtr 08-10-21 12:25 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22178864)
I have a set of those and yes, they are not nearly as interesting as my S-Works 7s, but they are lovely shoes.

that leather is so soft. :love:

MoAlpha 08-10-21 12:25 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22178873)
Tried on a pair of the S-Works 7s once, and was really tempted to pull the trigger. Just couldn't do it at $400.

I bought mine for half price offa guy with weird feet, who used them once or twice and moved on to Bonts. Simply fantastic shoes.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.