Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Mojo31 03-23-22 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22448343)
Just listed the old Trek for sale. Seems like I'm totally divesting from the 650b thing for now.

Whenever I feel like I want to sell something a good test for me is to clean it really well. I'll know whether or not I really want to get rid of it after it's clean.

Kind of a hard one with that old thing, it's a lovely and pretty bike but at the end of the day it's just too big for me. Plus I think I've ridden it maybe 6 times in the last year.

I'm keeping the really hard to find drivetrain parts and rack though ;).

I'll have another bike like it in the future but for now a full suspension MTB is calling...

I'm the same way with cars. I get one all cleaned up and detailed, and think they look like new and I should keep it. Then I conclude that that makes it a good time to trade it in before it gets dirty again.

BillyD 03-23-22 12:30 PM

Tyreek Hill? Am I reading that right? I'm stunned. :eek:

indyfabz 03-23-22 01:02 PM

The businesses in the Reading Terminal Market that sell cheesesteaks were very busy at lunch time. With all the hotels close by, I'll bet it was the NCAA tournament crowd in town.

big john 03-23-22 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22448262)
I have once again stopped recording my rides. Unless I'm on the mtb and want to record the route. I have, however, gone back to ground coffee in the morning. Espresso in the french press. It's good to keep changing things up, if only to stay alert.

I stopped recording in about 2001. A lot of my rides are with groups or clubs so I know the mileage and usually the elevation. None of it really matters beyond curiosity.

big john 03-23-22 01:12 PM

3 hour solo ride today. A bug the size of a bee hit me in the teeth but my mouth wasn't open enough to ingest it. Managed to spit it out without tasting it or getting stung.

I like to climb this little canyon and take a snack break at a park there. It's twisty and narrow and a car wanted to pass me as I was descending. Fine, there was enough room but the driver went all the way into the other lane and a truck came up and surprised him. It was close, they almost hit head on. Glad they didn't.

LAJ 03-23-22 01:17 PM

Better

Wordle 277 3/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

WhyFi 03-23-22 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22448471)
Tyreek Hill? Am I reading that right? I'm stunned. :eek:

I'm thinking that teams are learning that "holy **** - the salary cap isn't a myth!" You've got Rodgers in GB and Mahomes in KC - both QBs have monster contracts. Now, both of their favorite targets have gone bye-bye for big paydays that their former teams couldn't shoulder.

phrantic09 03-23-22 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22448386)
I half-heard the weather prediction for this week, and thought it was supposed to be a warming trend through the week.

Yesterday it was in the high 70s at riding time (5-7PM), but I had to get to work early for a meeting so I didn't load the bike and gear in the car. I figured I'd ride in the garage yesterday and then today would be another warm riding afternoon.

BZZZZTTTT!!! WRONG!!!!! High 50s/low 60s at riding time. But at least I did bring my stuff today.

It was 25 and dark when I went out this morning, spring my ass!

Bah Humbug 03-23-22 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22448542)
I'm thinking that teams are learning that "holy **** - the salary cap isn't a myth!" You've got Rodgers in GB and Mahomes in KC - both QBs have monster contracts. Now, both of their favorite targets have gone bye-bye for big paydays that their former teams couldn't shoulder.

We are going to see exactly how much those monster QBs are worth, if they are still that valuable with lesser support.

Or everyone is thinking there are enough receivers coming out every year that they're comfortable rolling the dice on a rookie-contract receiver, like (they should) with RBs.

Bah Humbug 03-23-22 01:39 PM

Really stupid meeting I'm in right now.

WhyFi 03-23-22 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22448566)
We are going to see exactly how much those monster QBs are worth, if they are still that valuable with lesser support.

Yup.

Or everyone is thinking there are enough receivers coming out every year that they're comfortable rolling the dice on a rookie-contract receiver, like (they should) with RBs.

I feel like getting a serviceable starting WR, let alone a legit #1, out of the draft is sooooo much tougher than an RB... Part of that may be the ********* WR development that I've seen with a run-heavy Vikings team for the last decade, but it sure feels like a lot of hyped WRs fall short of expectation.

....and then there's the late-round guys that blossom in to stars, like Tyreek and Diggs. :foo:​​​​​​​

datlas 03-23-22 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22448520)
I stopped recording in about 2001. A lot of my rides are with groups or clubs so I know the mileage and usually the elevation. None of it really matters beyond curiosity.

I still record mine on Strava but don’t pay much attention to the numbers other than maybe track my annual miles. I know some of my friends love to look at their power numbers and try to PR segments, ruminate over their (ugh!) average speed, etc. I suppose that’s their choice.

datlas 03-23-22 02:15 PM

Thread needs more cat pics. Jackie says hi.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5fa00585d.jpeg

datlas 03-23-22 02:18 PM

One of my cycling friends who works for a large financial services company nearby (whose name starts with Van and ends with guard) is a couple years younger than me but announced his retirement which will happen at the end of the year. Given the state of our dysfunctional healthcare system and my desire to ride more and work less, I wish I could do the same. I am seriously considering dropping back to 3 days/week in the fall, which at least is a step in that direction.

DougRNS 03-23-22 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22448569)
Really stupid meeting I'm in right now.

most are.

big john 03-23-22 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22448598)
I still record mine on Strava but donít pay much attention to the numbers other than maybe track my annual miles. I know some of my friends love to look at their power numbers and try to PR segments, ruminate over their (ugh!) average speed, etc. I suppose thatís their choice.

One of my friends is a data junkie. I can ask about a segment, a climb, whatever and he can rattle off the stats. "Oh, that climb is 6.2 miles and gains 230 feet". That sort of thing. Or, "The last time I did that ride it took 5 hours and 30 minutes for an average speed of 18.6mph. Today we were a bit slower with an average of 16.2mph".

big john 03-23-22 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22448611)
most are.

Don't get me started.

LAJ 03-23-22 02:35 PM

Denver is hanging their hat on Wilson. So far, the buzz is amazing, and he's working with the team in an unofficial capacity, and having a blast.

Mojo31 03-23-22 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22448607)
One of my cycling friends who works for a large financial services company nearby (whose name starts with Van and ends with guard) is a couple years younger than me but announced his retirement which will happen at the end of the year. Given the state of our dysfunctional healthcare system and my desire to ride more and work less, I wish I could do the same. I am seriously considering dropping back to 3 days/week in the fall, which at least is a step in that direction.

Guess you'll be in that Saturn another 40 years! ;)

Working toward a 4 day week myself.

BillyD 03-23-22 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22448542)

I thought for sure Rodgers had gotten a guarantee Adams would stay, so I was really surprised when he bolted. But the Tyreek Hill thing is just jaw dropping. He is absolutely irreplaceable, one of a kind.

Bah Humbug 03-23-22 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22448587)
I feel like getting a serviceable starting WR, let alone a legit #1, out of the draft is sooooo much tougher than an RB... Part of that may be the ********* WR development that I've seen with a run-heavy Vikings team for the last decade, but it sure feels like a lot of hyped WRs fall short of expectation.

....and then there's the late-round guys that blossom in to stars, like Tyreek and Diggs. :foo:

...Justin Jefferson? But still, you don't put all your eggs in a single first-round WR - stock mid-round picks and take a few. If that QB is worth it, he'd better be able to elevate his receivers (which I suspect has much to do with your team's recent receiver issues, along with coaching).

datlas 03-23-22 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22448668)
Guess you'll be in that Saturn another 40 years! ;)

Working toward a 4 day week myself.

I had a dream last night that the Saturn died. The stick shift/tranny froze and was not able to be fixed.

Luckily it was just a dream!

big john 03-23-22 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22448699)
I had a dream last night that the Saturn died. The stick shift/tranny froze and was not able to be fixed.

Luckily it was just a dream!

I know a guy, a GM transmission expert.

seedsbelize2 03-23-22 04:25 PM

I appear to have finally ditched my post-covid fatigue :bday:
It's nice to finally be back among the living.

indyfabz 03-23-22 04:36 PM

Pepper-encrusted ahi with a splash of tamari and house-made kimchi from a place in the Terminal.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...25b0450a5.jpeg