Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

bampilot06 04-10-22 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22467490)
Cancelled my Zwift account today, and it reminded me of why I'm not fond of subscription services.

Upon selecting "Cancel Membership," they ask for a reason why. I select, "I'll be riding outside," to which they helpfully reply, "why not Pause your membership, instead? That way, you can pick up where you left off and be sure not to lose your progress."

:rolleyes: Okay, fine - I'll "Pause Membership." Then they bring me to a screen with a slider. The text above the slider indicates that my Pause will begin on the 22nd and billing will conveniently resume on May 8th. Yeah, it defaults you to a Pause that'll skip one whole week. Okay... that's super dumb, and I don't like the prospect of billing resuming at a set date in the future - I'd rather manually resume it at that time - but that doesn't seem to be an option. Okay, the slider controls the numbers of weeks that the account will be paused, so maybe I'll set it for late November or early December... Yeah - no. The slider tops out at 8 weeks, even though it's likely that the vast majority of their subscriptions are winter months only and are probably paused for 8 or 9 months at a time. :notamused:

MFing subscription services always gotta try to sneak in as many billing cycles as they can. Back. Back. Cancel Membership. Sign Off. :mad:

Just axed mine as well. I had finally gotten the emonda whenever the last time I used it was. Sigh, will take me all winter to get that bike again.

MoAlpha 04-10-22 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22467053)
High risk? Of what?

Half the data on this is made-up stuff. Convince me I'm wrong.

High risk of spontaneous combustion.

Youíre wrong.

WhyFi 04-10-22 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22467581)

Youíre wrong.

I'd finally gotten back to the point where I was starting to pay attention to my training load, and planning on a concerted effort to gradually raise my Fitness, but weather and kitchen work have thrown a wrench in all of that for the last three weeks. :mad:

I guess the consolation is that I haven't gotten any fatter and I'm actually lighter than I was last summer/fall. Given the weather and time, I might end up throwing out the gradual bit and just bury myself while hoping for the best - I've toed the red line for weeks at a time in the past, so I'll prolly be okay... prolly. :o

LAJ 04-10-22 08:43 AM

Youíre wrong.

Correct

Velo Vol 04-10-22 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22467472)
The roads were super soft and needed a ton of extra effort.

:foo:

LAJ 04-10-22 09:02 AM

Hard from the gun. I knew they would want to try and catch the 50+123 group ahead, so I expected that. After that, it went hard to keep the dropped riders away.

genejockey 04-10-22 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22467522)
I like it but I haven't done a special ride for my b-day every year, since I've always done rides with miles above my age number anyway. After I turned 60 I started making an effort to do one of my favorite climbing rides for my b-day, just to make sure I can still knock one out. That is starting to prove challenging.:(

Wordle=5

It's a fun idea, but the problem for me is that as a mid-November baby, it can be unpredictable. A year or so ago, back before The Pandemic, I spent the whole season building myself up to being able to ride the requisite 61 miles. I even planned out a route on Strava, to make sure it would really be that long. Then, a week before the day, the Camp Fire started, and the whole week of my birthday, it was too smoky to ride, and continued that way till a week after, when it started raining and rained for a couple weeks.

So, now I just try to ride the age I'll be at my next birthday sometime during the year. Since I'm not taking winter off these days, it's easier. I don't spend spring and summer recovering fitness.

Bah Humbug 04-10-22 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22467596)
I'd finally gotten back to the point where I was starting to pay attention to my training load, and planning on a concerted effort to gradually raise my Fitness, but weather and kitchen work have thrown a wrench in all of that for the last three weeks. :mad:

I guess the consolation is that I haven't gotten any fatter and I'm actually lighter than I was last summer/fall. Given the weather and time, I might end up throwing out the gradual bit and just bury myself while hoping for the best - I've toed the red line for weeks at a time in the past, so I'll prolly be okay... prolly. :o

I tend to get emotional meltdowns when I push it too much. Form was -17 this morning; the five-mile walk turned into three when I stepped out and realized how tired I was.

Plan is for medium tomorrow and Tuesday, short walk Wednesday before the cleaners come, then a sharp focus Thurs-Sat before a good long taper into my 5k.

And yes it's frustrating to talk about tapering for a 5k.

WhyFi 04-10-22 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22467661)
I tend to get emotional meltdowns when I push it too much. Form was -17 this morning; the five-mile walk turned into three when I stepped out and realized how tired I was.

Plan is for medium tomorrow and Tuesday, short walk Wednesday before the cleaners come, then a sharp focus Thurs-Sat before a good long taper into my 5k.

And yes it's frustrating to talk about tapering for a 5k.

​​​​​​Huh. I'll get physically drained, but I'll be emotionally great, even in the red. I'm more prone to irritability and anxiety when I'm not doing enough, rather than doing too much.

As far as your frustration, just think about the hospital bed. :o

indyfabz 04-10-22 10:05 AM

Looks like decent weather for my four-day starting on Thursday. Chance of thunderstorms late that day then nothing until Sunday, when there are possible showers later in the day, after I should be off the road.

datlas 04-10-22 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22467490)
Cancelled my Zwift account today, and it reminded me of why I'm not fond of subscription services.

Upon selecting "Cancel Membership," they ask for a reason why. I select, "I'll be riding outside," to which they helpfully reply, "why not Pause your membership, instead? That way, you can pick up where you left off and be sure not to lose your progress."

:rolleyes: Okay, fine - I'll "Pause Membership." Then they bring me to a screen with a slider. The text above the slider indicates that my Pause will begin on the 22nd and billing will conveniently resume on May 8th. Yeah, it defaults you to a Pause that'll skip one whole week. Okay... that's super dumb, and I don't like the prospect of billing resuming at a set date in the future - I'd rather manually resume it at that time - but that doesn't seem to be an option. Okay, the slider controls the numbers of weeks that the account will be paused, so maybe I'll set it for late November or early December... Yeah - no. The slider tops out at 8 weeks, even though it's likely that the vast majority of their subscriptions are winter months only and are probably paused for 8 or 9 months at a time. :notamused:

MFing subscription services always gotta try to sneak in as many billing cycles as they can. Back. Back. Cancel Membership. Sign Off. :mad:

I canceled mine a few weeks ago. Agree easy to get suckered into the pause mode. Bastids.

What I donít get, I actually think they would make more $$$ if they charged an annual fee of say 10x the monthly fee. Many of us would just take the discount even though we donít use the service much in the summer. But itís their business model, not mine. Ditto I donít get why they donít add on a voice chat option. We have to use Discord for that. Sigh.

Velo Vol 04-10-22 10:34 AM

Youíre wrong.

English Comp 101: If you can't explain it in writing, you don't understand it. Which, in this case, makes sense.

datlas 04-10-22 10:35 AM

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Had a fine ride. The Habanero works great except it is noisy in bailout gear so I must adjust the limit screw. Now having a birthday lunch with mrs datlas and Hannah (and Jackie). We are getting Middle Eastern carry out. :bday:

Bah Humbug 04-10-22 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22467704)
I canceled mine a few weeks ago. Agree easy to get suckered into the pause mode. Bastids.

What I donít get, I actually think they would make more $$$ if they charged an annual fee of say 10x the monthly fee. Many of us would just take the discount even though we donít use the service much in the summer. But itís their business model, not mine. Ditto I donít get why they donít add on a voice chat option. We have to use Discord for that. Sigh.

That's about why I keep Rouvy around - I got grandfathered into a $60/year option they no longer offer unless you maintain it. While using the Neo I'm good to pay Garmin for the 1080p clean courses, but if I ever switch to another trainer brand (even temporarily) the Garmin software won't work. And I'm willing to keep paying as long as they give me that old cheap year-round price as a hedge against using my old Hammer in a pinch. Similarly, NFL GamePass is $10 per month in-season and $10 for the off-season, I assume for that very reason.

Voice chat, I assume, is to avoid abuse. If people meet up on Discord or Zoom or FT for that, it's not a Zwift problem. Though yes, of course you could make it approved-friends-only. Maybe they're just lazy. Not the only feature they haven't bothered with.

WhyFi 04-10-22 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22467706)
English Comp 101: If you can't explain it in writing, you don't understand it. Which, in this case, makes sense.

I think that Mo was embracing English Comp 102: know your audience

:innocent:

WhyFi 04-10-22 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22467704)

10x? Not a chance, for me. I'd do something like 6x, which would probably net them 25-50% more than I'd pay for on a month-to-month basis, but I wouldn't be interested in an annual fee more than that.

WhyFi 04-10-22 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22467520)
yíall should start a support group.

That's a good idea. What should well call it? Maybe, "people that actually know how to address their bike's ailments club"? :innocent:

:p

WhyFi 04-10-22 11:53 AM

Shift cable replacement is complete. Took longer than I'd hoped as I had to fish out a few stray strands. Speaking of strands, only a brave few from the old cable were still holding on for dear life.

While I had my bike in the stand, I also replaced the front brake pads and checked my sealant. I'll call that my spring maintenance and check back in on things in a couple months. :D

seedsbelize2 04-10-22 11:54 AM

A windy, not so spirited 26 miles in 77 degrees again. The night was extra cold and I got into the cocoon around 5, when I would normally get up and get coffee. My riding buddy, visiting from Maine, showed up while I was still in said cocoon, nursing the first cup 2 1/2 hours later.

indyfabz 04-10-22 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22467707)
Thanks for the birthday wishes. Had a fine ride. The Habanero works great except it is noisy in bailout gear so I must adjust the limit screw. Now having a birthday lunch with mrs datlas and Hannah (and Jackie). We are getting Middle Eastern carry out. :bday:

At 1:20 it started snowing for 3 minutes. I was outside the Terminal. Very crowded on the streets because of Comicon. People started freaking out.

bampilot06 04-10-22 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22467754)
That's a good idea. What should well call it? Maybe, "people that actually know how to address their bike's ailments club"? :innocent:

:p

speaking of which, my madone makes a clicking noise when I shake it. Doesnít do it when I donít shake it. Have not been able to isolate the noise. Will spend more time shaking it and get back to you.

rjones28 04-10-22 01:04 PM

Also check the clearance between the upper RD jockey wheel and the biggest cog. Might need some b-screw adjustment.

LesterOfPuppets 04-10-22 01:31 PM

:bday: :bday: :bday:

datlas 04-10-22 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22467826)
Also check the clearance between the upper RD jockey wheel and the biggest cog. Might need some b-screw adjustment.

Yup I believe that was the issue. Sounds clean now, but real test will be under load at 15% incline. I rarely use the 28t but thatís when I must.

datlas 04-10-22 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22467794)
speaking of which, my madone makes a clicking noise when I shake it. Doesnít do it when I donít shake it. Have not been able to isolate the noise. Will spend more time shaking it and get back to you.

Internal cable rattle?