Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

genejockey 07-28-22 05:05 PM


Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22591044)
agree - Pinto engine did appear to perform better - and did not appear to burn as much oil ... not certain - but the Vega engine block might have been aluminum without cast liners (?)

of course the Pinto was known for fires when involved in collisions to the rear (early Mustang actually had similar problem . lack of true / substantial trunk floor

good friend's neighbor had a Cosworth Vega - neat car

this guy was a GM / Chevrolet service rep ... he had a bunch of neat cars and access to a lot of parts and accessories ...typically drove a Corvette or Camaro during the summer months and a 4wd Blazer (or whatever) during the winter months ... at the time I considered his job to be my fav job

and he took care of us - he got us complete Chevy 4-bolt main truck short blocks (for next to nothing) - we then added the rest of the parts and we had great running cars

I believe that was the issue. Supposedly they did some treatment which was supposed to harden the cylinder walls so liners weren't needed.

Oops.

Bah Humbug 07-28-22 05:09 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22590912)
I have a 1000/3000 oilstone out in the woodshop that does a nice job on the current one.

Oh well excellent. If you can use that:

https://www.amazon.com/Houcho-com-Su...7-93deae8f9840

AG had that for a while. It's a lot nicer and can be much sharper than anything you'd find in a Target.

Bah Humbug 07-28-22 05:12 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22591029)
I do wonder, when you see the TdF guys (and gals)climbing at ridiculous speeds in 40C temps, how it doesn't kill them. I mean, they're probably hydrating as fast as the domestiques can ferry bottles to them from the team car, but still.

There's still a limit to how fast you can absorb it.

big john 07-28-22 05:13 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22591047)
I believe that was the issue. Supposedly they did some treatment which was supposed to harden the cylinder walls so liners weren't needed.

Some kind of silicone impregnated aluminum block with a cast iron head. After a lot of the blocks got tossed someone started putting iron liners in them. It was better than the original deal. I don't think we had any failures with the liners.

genejockey 07-28-22 05:19 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22591054)
Some kind of silicone impregnated aluminum block with a cast iron head. After a lot of the blocks got tossed someone started putting iron liners in them. It was better than the original deal. I don't think we had any failures with the liners.

I remember Motor Trend being really impressed with that silicone impregnation technology. Made the Vega Car Of The Year in 1971. Then again, their 1972 Car Of The Year was the Citroen SM.

big john 07-28-22 05:20 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22591063)
I remember Motor Trend being really impressed with that silicone impregnation technology. Made the Vega Car Of The Year in 1971. Then again, their 1972 Car Of The Year was the Citroen SM.

lol

MoAlpha 07-28-22 05:29 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22591029)
I do wonder, when you see the TdF guys (and gals)climbing at ridiculous speeds in 40C temps, how it doesn't kill them. I mean, they're probably hydrating as fast as the domestiques can ferry bottles to them from the team car, but still.

Hydration is only part of the story. In the heat, vasodilation in the skin, a huge organ, means that the heart has to perfuse a much larger vascular space. These people just have massive cardiac reserve capacity.


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22591039)
If dehydration drives the heart rate up that must affect power?

It drives up the heart rate required to produce a given power. That affects power at the top end of heart output.

MoAlpha 07-28-22 05:31 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22591036)
Another monster sprint, too.

Havenít gotten there yet. Wife paused it at about 40 km to go when she went to the pool.

MoAlpha 07-28-22 05:33 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22591053)
There's still a limit to how fast you can absorb it.

You can absorb water fast enough to kill yourself, even in a hot race.

WhyFi 07-28-22 05:47 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22590710)
Chicago Cutlery. We're vegetarians. We need something to slice tomatoes without difficulty. And pineapples. And dense bread.


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22591051)
Oh well excellent. If you can use that:

https://www.amazon.com/Houcho-com-Su...7-93deae8f9840

AG had that for a while. It's a lot nicer and can be much sharper than anything you'd find in a Target.

Tojiro should have a couple of their bread knives available on Amazon - they're pretty awesome and are relatively inexpensive.

DougRNS 07-28-22 06:16 PM

I called the gastro doc's office about my lab results and they were negative. After persistently asking for "plan b" they finally suggested I take probiotics. I started them today. 1 a day for 60 days. I have my follow up on Aug 11. It's been a long and winding road. I've always hated that song and hate it more now.

SMFH

big john 07-28-22 06:18 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22591116)
I called the gastro doc's office about my lab results and they were negative. After persistently asking for "plan b" they finally suggested I take probiotics. I started them today. 1 a day for 60 days. I have my follow up on Aug 11. It's been a long and winding road. I've always hated that song and hate it more now.

SMFH

I sure hope they get some of this stuff figured out for you.

DougRNS 07-28-22 06:22 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22591119)
I sure hope they get some of this stuff figured out for you.

I've been battling this for 3 months and am beginning to think I may never be healthy again.

LesterOfPuppets 07-28-22 06:26 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22590726)
I really don't get the race car thing. Me and Velo Vol

When a car like that passes by me that close, it makes me all tingly inside, even if it's only doing 40mph, hell even if it's standing still and he gooses the throttle :)

bampilot06 07-28-22 06:39 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22591021)
And what heart rates were necessary to produce those power numbers? Thatís what to watch in the heat, in my opinion.


HR was 160 the first 80 miles. 161 to be exact.

MoAlpha 07-28-22 06:46 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22591141)
HR was 160 the first 80 miles. 161 to be exact.

The question is how does that compare to your HR at the same power in cool weather or when you were feeling good. Most training software will construct power/HR curves and you can do them for different datasets for comparison.

bampilot06 07-28-22 06:55 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22591148)
The question is how does that compare to your HR at the same power in cool weather or when you were feeling good. Most training software will construct power/HR curves and you can do them for different datasets for comparison.


It was pretty normal compared to other rides. It was one of those weird days with a constant head wind, no matter what direction we went. I donít really remember noticing the heat til near the end, but it def was affecting me.

Ill also add, I am terrible at eating and drinking when I am on rides. All my rides are on empty stomachs initially, usually eat my first snack at mile 30. Today was mile 40. Both bottles were filled with propel initially. First stop was at mile 45. One bottle was empty the other half. I dumped ot out and bought gatorade electrolyte water. Went another 40 miles before I stopped again. Both bottles were empty I felt light headed. Are a pay day, drank a whole gatorade and filled both bottles up. Rode another 30 miles and called it. I pulled the whole ride except for the last 5 miles. My pace had slowed to about 19 mph by this point my heart rate wasnít elevated but I did feel weak like I had no power. My buddy Lee took over and at the point I knew I wouldnít be able to make it back home. We had about another 20 miles to go before I was supposed to drop him off, and then I would have had 30 miles to get home. Hence 150.

bampilot06 07-28-22 07:03 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8284aa7d04.png


This is the woman I am following. Not even sure which team she is on. Nothing in her activity feed about crashing yet.

Mojo31 07-28-22 07:12 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22591004)
A beta blocker will really reduce your max HR and thus lower your top end on the bike. It might be medically necessary, but you may wish to discuss with him/her.

I sometimes joke that the best way to beat your friends on a ride is not to take a PED, but rather, slip a little beta blocker into their water bottles.

Well, that answers some of my questions. I take Carvedilol and Amlodipine (calcium channel blocker). Knowing that kind of helps me understand some of my limitations.

MoAlpha 07-28-22 07:13 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22591154)
It was pretty normal compared to other rides. It was one of those weird days with a constant head wind, no matter what direction we went. I donít really remember noticing the heat til near the end, but it def was affecting me.

Ill also add, I am terrible at eating and drinking when I am on rides. All my rides are on empty stomachs initially, usually eat my first snack at mile 30. Today was mile 40. Both bottles were filled with propel initially. First stop was at mile 45. One bottle was empty the other half. I dumped ot out and bought gatorade electrolyte water. Went another 40 miles before I stopped again. Both bottles were empty I felt light headed. Are a pay day, drank a whole gatorade and filled both bottles up. Rode another 30 miles and called it. I pulled the whole ride except for the last 5 miles. My pace had slowed to about 19 mph by this point my heart rate wasnít elevated but I did feel weak like I had no power. My buddy Lee took over and at the point I knew I wouldnít be able to make it back home. We had about another 20 miles to go before I was supposed to drop him off, and then I would have had 30 miles to get home. Hence 150.

Ugh. Öand sometimes the bear hunts you.

bampilot06 07-28-22 07:24 PM

It would have been 150 smart ass.


mojo deleted his post.

seedsbelize2 07-28-22 07:28 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22590946)
I started a ride yesterday when it was 104F. Didn't even last 10 miles.

Too old for that nonsense.

I finished one at 102 this afternoon. Didn't do much the rest of the day.

rjones28 07-28-22 07:28 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22591092)
Tojiro should have a couple of their bread knives available on Amazon - they're pretty awesome and are relatively inexpensive.

Since Mrs. rjones28 has been making more artisan loaves, we added a 10" Mercer bread knife to the collection. The 8" can handle the job okay, but it's too short for our tastes.

bampilot06 07-28-22 07:31 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22591187)
I finished one at 102 this afternoon. Didn't do much the rest of the day.


I just got done cutting the grass. I hope to sleep like a baby tonight.

Bah Humbug 07-28-22 07:31 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22591080)
You can absorb water fast enough to kill yourself, even in a hot race.

That is fascinating, because no matter how much I drink I still wind up dehydrated on a hard day in the heat, and drinking more just makes it slosh in my stomach.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.