Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Language (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1285233)

Leftclique 11-15-23 07:10 PM

Language

Hello,

I've been thinking about getting a bike and found Bike Forums a few weeks ago. I'm glad I did! It's very informative.

Oddly enough, I was as impressed by the language used here as much as the information.

Are ya'll English? Dang if I don't think I'm inna fancy skool room sumwheres.

pdlamb 11-16-23 08:25 AM

Thank you, thank you very much.

Some of us are eddicated real gud, and we have everybody from doctors to lawyers to nurses to teachers to mechanics, which leads to its own eclectic mix of lexicons.

Iride01 11-16-23 08:42 AM

Are ya'll English?
English in language or English as in nationality?

I think the overwhelming majority are from the USA. Canadians and UK are about equal I think. And then there are those from South and Central America, the Middle East region, various Asian nations. Also not to be forgotten are those down under from Australia that perhaps are also more plentiful than some of the previously mentioned.

It does get confusing sometimes not knowing country or region that a member is from. As sometimes questions ask or advice given might be somewhat country or region specific.

Mojo31 11-16-23 08:43 AM

I am a bot programmed with artificial intelligence.

shelbyfv 11-16-23 09:39 AM

I keep an open tab with a dictionary. When my brain gets tired of big words I visit an RV forum. Them boys done seen it all and are here to tell ya.

Bald Paul 11-16-23 10:28 AM

Let's not neglect the Dubai call girls! :lol:

_ForceD_ 11-16-23 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Leftclique (Post 23073690)
I've been thinking about getting a bike and found Bike Forums a few weeks ago. I'm glad I did! It's very informative.
Oddly enough, I was as impressed by the language used here as much as the information.
Are ya'll English? Dang if I don't think I'm inna fancy skool room sumwheres.

Yes, it can be very informative. But, you will have to learn the hard way that the language you use in these forums, and precisely how you say things, can be a catalyst for some personal ridicule. It may appear to you that there are some in these forums whose sole purpose here is to belittle others. Otherwise, welcome.

Dan

Eric F 11-16-23 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 23074074)
Thank you, thank you very much.

Some of us are eddicated real gud, and we have everybody from doctors to lawyers to nurses to teachers to mechanics, which leads to its own eclectic mix of lexicons.

We also have Larry. Somehow, it seems like that skews the average more than it should. I'm not sure if the direction of skew is up, down, or inexplicably sideways.

FWIW, I'm a contractor with a mediocre education.

seypat 11-16-23 11:50 AM

I stay in Holiday Inn Expresses as much as possible if I'm on a road trip. I also use Grey Poupon. It helps.

rsbob 11-16-23 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by _ForceD_ (Post 23074197)
Yes, it can be very informative. But, you will have to learn the hard way that the language you use in these forums, and precisely how you say things, can be a catalyst for some personal ridicule. It may appear to you that there are some in these forums whose sole purpose here is to belittle others. Otherwise, welcome.

Dan

Say it ain’t so Joe! On the contrary, we are here to help them boost their self-esteem.

Et tu Bruti?

datlas 11-16-23 02:47 PM

For spicy language, we have an excellent censor filter. :innocent:

Bluejohn 11-16-23 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 23074086)
Canadians and UK are about equal I think.

Ahem...

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bed6bab5aa.gif

Eric F 11-16-23 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 23074489)
For spicy language, we have an excellent censor filter. :innocent:

Jalapeño...Cayenne...Habanero...Scotch Bonnet...Carolina Reaper...

Nope. The spicy filter is terrible. All those words made it through.

indyfabz 11-16-23 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23074418)
Say it ain’t so Joe! On the contrary, we are here to help them boost their self-esteem.

Et tu Bruti?

You left out the comma after “so.”

Proper punctuation is the difference between “Let’s eat, grandma!” and “Let’s eat grandma!”. :D

dedhed 11-16-23 06:56 PM

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...eviations.html

veganbikes 11-16-23 08:06 PM

I done did the skoolifying so I done speaked the Merica talk reel gud. Sure I ain't no fancy like you know Jeffs Foxworthy or nuthin but I done did it. You know peeples done did the stuff for to the so you can have the bicycle huffy or what you done needed if you done knows what you gots to wantin'.

​​​​Hell ​indyfabz grandma is gud eetin if you ain't not done can have a piece then you done not know wut the stuff can has if you done it. But some peepels done don't gots the wantin' to be eatin grandma cause they say she done be two old but you done can put some of that fancy gray poopins on it crack open some budwiser and you gots you some gud eatins. least that done be what I done said heer.

Leftclique Enjoy the new bike! Hope you become a regular poster and enjoy the fun we have here.

wheelreason 11-16-23 08:17 PM

Me fixi the bycicel parts good...

rsbob 11-16-23 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 23074687)

Proper punctuation is the difference between “Let’s eat, grandma!” and “Let’s eat grandma!”. :D

Damn, you caught it again. (Comma added after ‘damn’ or the meaning would have changed :ride:)

spelger 11-16-23 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 23074824)
I done did the skoolifying so I done speaked the Merica talk reel gud. Sure I ain't no fancy like you know Jeffs Foxworthy or nuthin but I done did it. You know peeples done did the stuff for to the so you can have the bicycle huffy or what you done needed if you done knows what you gots to wantin'.

​​​​Hell ​indyfabz grandma is gud eetin if you ain't not done can have a piece then you done not know wut the stuff can has if you done it. But some peepels done don't gots the wantin' to be eatin grandma cause they say she done be two old but you done can put some of that fancy gray poopins on it crack open some budwiser and you gots you some gud eatins. least that done be what I done said heer.

Leftclique Enjoy the new bike! Hope you become a regular poster and enjoy the fun we have here.

It hurts to read that.

cyccommute 11-16-23 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 23074520)
Jalapeno...Cayenne...Habanero...Scotch Bonnet...Carolina Reaper...

Nope. The spicy filter is terrible. All those words made it through.

Jalapeño, please. It ain’t English.

Eric F 11-17-23 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by cyccommute (Post 23074941)

Valid, and I’m aware. My desktop keyboard doesn’t do ñ as easily as my phone, and I was lazy. I will fix the offense.

(I’m currently on my phone.)

wheelreason 11-17-23 06:54 AM

LOL. I find it funny how some gringos over roll their r thinking it helps their pronunciation...

Koyote 11-17-23 10:04 AM

Eats, shoots and leaves VS Eats shoots and leaves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eats,_Shoots_%26_Leaves

pdlamb 11-17-23 10:17 AM

Should someone mention Canon City? It's not that religious...

Eric F 11-17-23 10:20 AM

Correct capitalization matters, too. Especially when I tell you about the time I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse.