Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Shallow drop bar (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1125111)

jimbo. 10-15-17 08:36 AM

Shallow drop bar

I'm looking for a shallow drop bar. Seems like a lot of drop bars are for the racer folks. Also I have no interest in the splayed out bars. I ride on the top corners most of the time. Picture and measurement would help.
Thanks!!

mstateglfr 10-15-17 09:33 AM

Soma Hwy1 is a 0degree flare compact drop bar with multiple mount diameters.
Salsa Cowbell is another really popular compact drop in 31.8mm size. It has a few degree of flare, but that isnt the splay that you dislike.

Google for pics and measurements- both have them listed on the company sites. Both are full C bend, or very close to a full C. Neither are ergo bends.

Tourist in MSN 10-15-17 09:50 AM

Have you gone to a large bike shop and looked at their collection?

RayLee 10-15-17 08:22 PM

These work for me

Specialized Hover Bar ($50), shallow drop, a fairly short reach,comes in 3 widths... 15mm of rise, that works for me. Im more leg than arm I guess... the drop from the seat to the grip on most bars looked like something you would find on a velodrome bike. the exact specs are on line

http://TheSBimage.com/2017/BikePics/DSC00637.JPG

http://TheSBimage.com/2017/BikePics/DSC00602.JPG

djb 10-15-17 08:31 PM

I recommend the various salsa models, and would suggest finding a store that has them all in store, so you can hold them and see how they feel. Personally, I went with the cowbell, a shallow drop bar that has just a bit of outward angle. Hardly notice it even looking at it, but it gives a nice riding feel and leverage in the drops.
Shallow top to drop distance, and short top area to hood area distance also makes them nice to ride, and of course, your specific bike fork steerer and stem lenght and angle can allow you to have drop bars easily at seat level or slightly higher, which can be nice for touring.

RayLee 10-15-17 08:36 PM

Soma Condor bars

Pretty weird but again they work great

very shallow drop, really short reach, again some rise with a tiny bit of flare (the rear shot of the bars makes the flare on the drops look drastic but its the ultra wide lens making it look that way)... tuff part for you might be the extreme bend from the hoods to the "flats" if you ride that bend. I use a short stem with rise and am always in the drops on these, except in rest or site seeing mode.

http://TheSBimage.com/2017/BikePics/DSC01075.JPG

http://TheSBimage.com/2017/BikePics/SomaConBars.jpg

tyrion 10-15-17 08:44 PM

FSA Wing Compact bar is nice. Normal compact bat shape, lots of sizes and the top is flattened a bit for comfort. (It was my favorite before I discovered flared dirt drops.)

checoles 10-16-17 03:52 AM

FSA Vero's, I use them on my Fixie. Great shallow bar, nice and easy to get into the drops.

geoffs 10-16-17 04:17 AM

We have 3T Ergonova bars on all our bikes. I'm a bit of a clydesdale so I have the Pro aluminium bar on my road bikes and our touring tandem. My better half uses the LTD carbon bar which is way to light for touring

jimbo. 10-16-17 07:31 AM

Thanks for the responses. I'm not familiar with the carbon bar you mentioned. But I will say that it's way past time for bicycle touring to get with the program of light weight stuff.

djb 10-16-17 08:09 AM

Jim, quickly a few points. First is that dropbars for racer folks really depends on how a bike is setup frame wise, ie is the headtube area much lower than the seat, ie for racing, ie to get your head out of the wind in an aggressive position. Touring bikes tend to have higher up front ends, so its not the bar that is the diff, but the headtube, fork steerer length, stem used etc. If a given bar has a good shape, it doesnt matter wht bike its on, it can still work on diff bikes.

then about carbon bars, lowering weight is always nice, but dont forget, carbon handlebars cant be used with handlebar bags because of the mounts clamping on etc. so unfortunately are not suggested for touring bikes.

fietsbob 10-16-17 10:00 AM

Randonneur bend,, they've been around for decades..

Tourist in MSN 10-16-17 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by jimbo. (Post 19932702)
Thanks for the responses. I'm not familiar with the carbon bar you mentioned. But I will say that it's way past time for bicycle touring to get with the program of light weight stuff.

Why would you want a carbon bar for touring?

Leebo 10-16-17 02:23 PM

Checked out some dirt drops?

chrisx 10-16-17 03:58 PM

I dont know nothing
I never tried them
¿Why did you post a link?
Maybe I will look at this when I need some bars, but can not remember what kind I like the picture of
Condor Handlebar | SOMA Fabrications
Here is a link to flyxii and some afordable carbon
http://www.flyxii.com/en/products/handlebar.html

skimaxpower 10-16-17 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN (Post 19933097)
Why would you want a carbon bar for touring?

Because modern carbon handlebars perform equally with alu ones, but weigh less.

Not every bike tourist carries 40 pounds of gear. Ounces count.

djb 10-16-17 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by skimaxpower (Post 19933810)

absolutely, just be aware of the handlebar bag issue, with clamping or wire type attchment of mounts. I figure the weight saving of a cf vs alu cant be that much, compared to all the other stuff, but the main thing is to be aware of this aspect, and then you decide.

mstateglfr 10-16-17 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by skimaxpower (Post 19933810)

i just looked up some carbon compact bars- fsa k force. They are only 50g lighter than the aluminum zipp service course sl bars, but over twice as expensive at $130 more than the zipps.

Thats 1.75oz costing $130.

I genuinely cant imagine caring that much about equipment weight ust to tour at such a financial cost.
I get it- lots of different ways to tour, but man i dont have the desire to buy ounces at that cost.

djb 10-16-17 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 19934034)
i just looked up some carbon compact bars- fsa k force. They are only 50g lighter than the aluminum zipp service course sl bars, but over twice as expensive at $130 more than the zipps.

I genuinely cant imagine caring that much about equipment weight ust to tour at such a financial cost.
I get it- lots of different ways to tour, but man i dont have the desire to buy ounces at that cost.

and 120g heavier than cowbell 3 (320g), which cost you yanks about 50 bucks, the cowbell 2 are about 70 maybe and weigh 280g.

these cf bars weigh 201g and cost $313 can. I bought my cowbell 3's at about 70bucks can. so I would have nearly 250 dollars can. to put towards a really light tent, or a really light sleeping bag , or whatever, that will save a heck of a lot more weight.

or simply to buy a nice seat bag, bikepacking style, or a handlebar bag, or a handlebar roll container type system....

as always, its about balancing money to value to what you get for what you want to do.

Moose 10-16-17 10:55 PM

This is about as short and shallow as they come. Drop is only 125mm and reach is only 70mm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titan-Lite-.../112597654556?

saddlesores 10-16-17 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo. (Post 19932702)

well, hey, if'n it's lighter weight you want,
you should head over to whiteblahs.net!
those thru-hikers are super smart, and can
really teach us luddite bikers a thing or three.

Happy Feet 10-17-17 12:31 AM

Oops, I don't think he can answer any more...

djb 10-17-17 12:45 AM

Me no understand....

indyfabz 10-17-17 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by djb (Post 19934390)
Me no understand....

The OP was a sock of a previously banned member. A pretty obvious sock.

Tourist in MSN 10-17-17 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by djb (Post 19934002)
absolutely, just be aware of the handlebar bag issue, with clamping or wire type attchment of mounts. I figure the weight saving of a cf vs alu cant be that much, compared to all the other stuff, but the main thing is to be aware of this aspect, and then you decide.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 19934034)

Originally Posted by djb (Post 19934091)
and 120g heavier than cowbell 3 (320g), which cost you yanks about 50 bucks, the cowbell 2 are about 70 maybe and weigh 280g.

these cf bars weigh 201g and cost $313 can. I bought my cowbell 3's at about 70bucks can. so I would have nearly 250 dollars can. to put towards a really light tent, or a really light sleeping bag , or whatever, that will save a heck of a lot more weight.

or simply to buy a nice seat bag, bikepacking style, or a handlebar bag, or a handlebar roll container type system....

as always, its about balancing money to value to what you get for what you want to do.

These are all valid points, but when I asked why he wanted carbon I instead was thinking why would someone want something that is known for catastrophic failures. Touring bikes fall over, etc. That causes cracks that may go unnoticed until it is too late. I want stuff that I will trust to stay in one piece.

I am not sure what a sock is in reference to the comment on a banned former member. What is a sock?