Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

MoAlpha 10-27-21 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22285469)
Heh - yeah, I logged in to Strava and saw that shortly after seeing your previous post. More proof that smart people do dumb things all of the time. :p

After enough dumb things, people change their mind about "smart." Feeling better now, but I'm looking forward to going home and taking a nap.

Actually felt good on the bike.

WhyFi 10-27-21 09:18 AM

Trainer ride today was a little less horrible than the other day. Much like I did last year, I set up my fans with an emphasis on drawing air in to the room from the other room. Like Mo, I didn't really feel that cooling was too big of a problem, so I speculated that, like Vol, I was just sucking all of the oxygen out of the room. :innocent:

ls01 10-27-21 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22285326)
I totally understand the stance of only providing warranty support if the gear was bought through an authorized dealer... but when they're directly responsible for bricking it, that's a horse of a different color.

I'll boycott SRAM in solidarity with you. :troll:

....but I'm not giving up my Zipps. :o

lol. I understand completely.

phrantic09 10-27-21 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22284971)
it’s blowing 30 mph outside and not suppose to slow down. Was gunna wake up super early and ride before the drive but that wind doesn’t sound fun.

Marblehead and the shore of MA we’re getting gusts to the high 80s last night. Whole town has no power but our neighbor says the house is still standing.

16mph from the N here this morning was strong enough for me to take a pass.

WhyFi 10-27-21 10:24 AM

This ad keeps on tempting me. Someone should buy them so that I can't.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...deca8dec07.jpg

sbxx1985 10-27-21 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22285320)
They've got an exciting core. Hell, even if they weren't winning games, they'd at least be fun to watch.

I still miss Zach. :(

I might have to get the NBA package this year. I haven't bought it in a long time. I wait for the DirecTV free first week to assess how crappy the Bulls will be. Not crappy with Zach and DeRozan.

You can't watch the Nuggets or Avalanche if you have cable or Dish in Colorado. Only DirecTV has the network. That's crazy. You have to go to the bar to watch your local sports team.

ls01 10-27-21 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22285435)
A forum member had bought a nice used Madone and it cracked around the BB. Trek told him no warranty, try your dealer, etc. He was pretty upset with them.

In my biz we sometimes would have to replace an engine computer after attempting to reprogram one. If it was for a recall we could warranty the computer even if the car was out of warranty.

Electronic throttles get carboned up and need to be cleaned to make the car idle right and as it gets dirtier the computer compensates to a certain point but after you clean it the idle is too fast and it needs to "relearn". Some of the early ones can't relearn and the computer has to be replaced and this is not warranty on an older car. So, technically, we broke it but we aren't paying for it. After we figured out which cars had the problem we would warn the customer and include the price of the computer in the estimate.

I had a Madone that suffered from the "bad bonding adhesive" I think it was a 96, who can remember. ( same bike L.A. rode in shark fin blue) But I bought it used.
One day on a ride it began to feel mushy in back. Sure enough the drop out had pulled out of the chain stay.
I called Trek in Wisconsin, spoke to a rep. He said bring it to the nearest Trek dealer and they would fix it, free. No problem. I was floored. Couldn't believe my ears. I reiterated, not original owner, bought it used. Again, no problem.
So I stripped it down to a bare frame and brought it to the nearest dealer in my area. 10 days later they call me to come get it. I stroll in after work, he says $132.00. $66.00 shipping each way. No one who I ever spoke to about this issue ever said they had been charged anything. I paid it and unwrapped it to find a dime size chip in the paint where the work was done.
I believe the dealer used this as an opertunity to make a few bucks off me. Trek, from what I learned later covers the shipping for warranty and repairs. The local dealer is supposed to just facilitate the handling, as part of their agreement with Trek.
So my problem here is even though I got my frame fixed for free, I got kind of shook down at the local dealer. Did they do anything wrong? Technically no, we never talked about shipping. It was still cheaper than a new frame right. But did I still feel the same elation that the guy at Trek made me feel when he said he would take care of me? Nope, I felt suckered, still do even today over it.
over the years I've spent a lot of money on bike stuff. Do you know how much money I've spent at that shop? 0. Do you know how many people I've told that story to? Everyone that would listen. I wonder if there is a way to calculate how much that $132.00 cost them in the long run. Do they care? Probably not....but I do.

sbxx1985 10-27-21 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22285445)
If it does. Shiz going up for sale. Di2 here I come. I already feel like I've been date ***** a couple times and am now living with the offspring of that union.
here's some highlights.
All the proprietary stuff when I built this boat anchor of a bike.
The redesign of the pf30 monstrosity into an even bigger crappier monstrosity known as Dub pf30.
6 months after I purchased my E tap upgrade for Contador, brand new Sram discontinued support for it in favor of axs.
Now this. Sram started out as a fairly user friendly company. Today, they don't even take phone calls. Email only.
In the words of our dear departed benifactor Sram can bite me.

Yes, SRAM sucks, but pcad died?

Eric F 10-27-21 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22285596)

Those are crabon and will assplode. You should definitely get them. That seems like a really good price.

datlas 10-27-21 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22285623)
Yes, SRAM sucks, but pcad died?

You did not hear? I think it was about a year ago.

edit: link. https://www.bikeforums.net/northeast...-rip-pcad.html

datlas 10-27-21 11:05 AM

We had a very windy ride. I don’t mind a relatively mild wind like today, 55-60F.

Now check back in January when it’s below freezing and this windy, I might choose the trainer.

sbxx1985 10-27-21 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22285663)
You did not hear? I think it was about a year ago.

edit: link. https://www.bikeforums.net/northeast...-rip-pcad.html

Oh no. That SUV blew the stop sign and killed him? He was riding his electric Wilier. That's really sad. Poor Cody.

sbxx1985 10-27-21 11:18 AM

Damn. That's terrible news. Watching that youtube video was really sad.

WhyFi 10-27-21 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22285628)
Those are crabon and will assplode. You should definitely get them. That seems like a really good price.

I have the aero version on the Cervelo. Nice bars. These would go on the Haanjo.

Someone else should buy them. Soon.

BillyD 10-27-21 11:29 AM

Addict.

Just say No.

rjones28 10-27-21 11:32 AM

Help yourself, I'm all set.

:)

Eric F 10-27-21 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22285700)
I have the aero version on the Cervelo. Nice bars. These would go on the Haanjo.

Someone else should buy them. Soon.

It won't be me. I'm all good on crabon road bars. Besides, I prefer a 44.

datlas 10-27-21 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22285628)

Mostly correct. But he needs to buy them first, then ask if he got a good price.

ls01 10-27-21 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22285679)
Oh no. That SUV blew the stop sign and killed him? He was riding his electric Wilier. That's really sad. Poor Cody.

sorry man, Had no idea you didn't know.

BillyD 10-27-21 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22285679)

It had a much bigger impact here than that link indicates. As word got around, members whom we haven’t seen in years all came by to pay their respects. He was a much loved guy, deservedly so. He couldn’t stand me but I’ll tell you right now, he was the best forum personality we ever had here. Just thinking about his outstanding wit right now is enough to make me smile. :)

LAJ 10-27-21 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22285682)
Damn. That's terrible news. Watching that youtube video was really sad.

Yes it was. I ask/look about every 6 months if there has been any resolution to the case, and so far, nothing. As far as I can tell, anyway.

LAJ 10-27-21 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22285732)
It had a much bigger impact here than that link indicates. As word got around, members whom we haven’t seen in years all came by to pay their respects. He was a much loved guy, deservedly so. He couldn’t stand me but I’ll tell you right now, he was the best forum personality we ever had here. Just thinking about his outstanding wit right now is enough to make me smile. :)

Well said.

LAJ 10-27-21 11:52 AM

For what it's worth, you can't go wrong. I paid a bit less for my E100's, and I'm thrilled I did. Those Giant bars may be even better, to be honest. The 40mm width is also just fine.

genejockey 10-27-21 12:05 PM

Not in 42cm.

WhyFi 10-27-21 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22285717)
It won't be me. I'm all good on crabon road bars. Besides, I prefer a 44.

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22285756)
Not in 42cm.

After going to 42cm on the Cervelo, the 44cm bars on the Haanjo seem almost comically wide; I really don't like the way they feel, anymore.