Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Turbo vs. Concor vs. Rolls (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=165920)

gman3215 01-12-06 01:10 AM

Turbo vs. Concor vs. Rolls

I wanted a cool retro looking saddle for my Schwinn and wanted everyone’s opinion. How does the Rolls or Concor measure up to the Turbo? I noticed Nashbar with some cool saddles and their going fast. I like the Concor in perforated white. It kind of turns me on. What do you think?

peripatetic 01-12-06 04:24 PM

"I like the Concor in perforated white. It kind of turns me on. What do you think?"

:D

You meant to put it that way, right?

Perforation never really turned me on, but to each his own.

Everest 01-12-06 04:33 PM

I have two concors and two turbos and like them alot. I have yet to try a rolls but imagine it would be about the same. The turbos have a little more padding than concors but both are very comfy. Just a word of warning about perforated saddles, they do have a reputation for eating pants.

roadrasher 01-12-06 05:17 PM

Hi, I've got or had in the past all 3 saddles you mentioned, of the 3 I prefer the Rolls,a nice classic saddle that's not to soft or hard and wears in very nicely. I didn't like the concors so much, I found the upturned tail to be quite uncomfortable and no amount of adjusting could make it right,I've got a pal who swears by them though... each to their own. I have an old turbo on my commuter, it has about a million miles on it, very comfy and sturdy, though perhaps if your "weight conscious" not the best of the 3.

really I don't think you can go wrong with any of these saddles.

Clear as mud eh!

'Rasher

gman3215 01-12-06 05:35 PM

I'm leaning toward the Rolls I look the look of the Concor but I also talked to a buddy and he said the perforation will shred your shorts after a while. The Rolls is black and I wanted to put it on an orange Schwinn with blue cable and bar tape. I did the paint job myself so I don't have a lot invested

luker 01-12-06 06:21 PM

The Rolls was made in several colors, including, I think, blue. And in recent years one has been able to buy a Rolls with titanium rails - you see these things come up on ebay every now and again. I have some of each and don't have trouble switching back and forth - but then again my wife calls me numb-butt sometimes.

bikingshearer 01-12-06 09:39 PM

I haven't used the other two, but I love the Rolls. I have titanium-railed Rollses (is that a word?) on all my bikes, and they have always been comfy. (All are smooth black.) I also happen to think they look cool as heck.

gman3215 01-12-06 10:21 PM

I wanted a blue, but haven't had much luck on ebay. I found this at Nashbar. It's kinda sexy.

cyclezen 01-12-06 11:12 PM

Have used all 3. I found the concors to be too narrow for me - that was back in the early 80's with a much younger me. Tried real hard to make it work for me, long enough to really casue some temporary nerve damage that too me off the bike for almost 2 mos back then.
I like the Rolls a bunch, more support for me and great all-day saddle, and they wear well. Always a solid choice - I have a couple new ones I might use when my Colnago master becomes a garage queen.
Turbos - not sure what it is, but they fit me purr-fect. Enough to make it my #1 saddle choice of all time. I'm on my 4th turbo and have one on order from Nashbar. downside is their leather doesn;t seem to wear as well as the stuff on San Marco saddles. But, man, the turbo is an awesome seat. Seems to allow a bit more leg freedom compared to the Rolls. Also started using 'saddlesoap' on my last turbo and then trating with 'SnoSeal' a silicone based leather treatment. Has given me now 2 more years on the last turbo, as compared to the age of the prior ones.
I do perspire a lot, I mean A TON (or a BARREL FULL). After a long, hard ride, a leather saddle ends up completly soaked with salty sweat - can't be good for any leather saddle.
Anyway, aside from a real Turbo, if I had to just pick a saddle off a rack and use it, I'd always pick a San Marco, 140 or wider. I'd have a 90% chance that it would be comfortable and a good rider. My 2nd best saddle, very close behind the Turbo, is a San Marco Strada TI - awesome, Barcolounger comfortable, but really hard to find these days.

lotek 01-13-06 08:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I prefer the san marco regal to the turbo or rolls or concor saddles.
Looks pretty good too
Marty

1fluffhead 01-13-06 08:52 AM

There is a ton of Concor on ebay right now. Blue, white, beige, brown, black. Found all of them by searching "Concor Saddle"

gman3215 01-26-06 09:12 PM

I received my Rolls saddle today from Nashbar and I have to say I am pleased with my choice. The cool leather design and the gold accents add some serious bling to my ride. Now if I can only find gold spokes, white wall 700 tires and gold plated handlebars I could "pimp that ride".

bellweatherman 01-29-06 02:31 AM

Even though it's not 1 of the 3 you mentioned, I'm gonna have to go with the Regal like the other guy posted. Nice saddle, very old skool cool also. After that, it's a tossup between the Turbo and the Rolls, both really nice saddles. I haven't tried the Concors, but with the upturned back end I've heard you either hate it with a passion or love it.

lofter 01-29-06 05:09 PM

got the concors and turbos.the concor seems harder and the turbo softer and better ride, just my opinion ;)

clipped 01-30-06 03:38 AM

they're very nice, but stay away from the ones with aluminum rails, because at some point they break. mine was fine for a couple of years, but riding home fifteen miles with no seat in rush hour gave me the cure.

luker 01-30-06 09:44 PM

yeah, the aluminum ones are special purpose, like for your occasional bike. I've broken them before as well. Of course, if you weigh 135 lb wet, you'll probably get a lot of miles out of one. How's everyone in Belleville? I spent a couple of years there once (at the AFB)...