Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

Velo Vol 11-01-21 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22291719)
I'll bet you could star in your own pron flick.

Family forum.

indyfabz 11-01-21 12:50 PM

So I leave the building to run an errand and some dude who has just parked his little, yellow Boxter opens the door, empties what's left in a plastic water bottle and tosses it under the car.

Money can buy a Porsche but not decency. And is his physical condition, what's he doing driving a car that small? Not only is rather large, he could barely get out of the thing due to apparent mobility problems. I thought he was going to stumble into the path of passing cars.

#NewJerseyLicensePlate

WhyFi 11-01-21 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22291761)
smh.

You would hope that the responses would be pretty much universal expressions along the lines of "WTF is wrong with you?" but it actually turned in to a debate, and not even a lop-sided beat-down of a debate. :rolleyes:

genejockey 11-01-21 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22291772)
So I leave the building to run an errand and some dude who has just parked his little, yellow Boxter opens the door, empties what's left in a plastic water bottle and tosses it under the car.

Money can buy a Porsche but not decency. And is his physical condition, what's he doing driving a car that small? Not only is rather large, he could barely get out of the thing due to apparent mobility problems. I thought he was going to stumble into the path of passing cars.

#NewJerseyLicensePlate

One of our football coaches in high school was a guy who probably tipped the scale around 280 if not higher (having been 240 at one point, I can tell you he was a lot bigger than that). He drove an MG Midget. It had a pronounced lean, even when he wasn't in it.

People forget just how small those things were. It wasn't so much that he got into it. It was more like he put it on, like clothes.

seedsbelize2 11-01-21 01:05 PM

I have nothing to add, substantive or not.

seedsbelize2 11-01-21 01:08 PM

I am being productive today. And I'm hoping to be productive throughout the Winter. The weather is just so damned idyllic it's too easy to simply idyll it away.

indyfabz 11-01-21 01:11 PM

Ready for its maiden voyage this afternoon.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2ac785897.jpeg

rjones28 11-01-21 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22291582)
The one MUP I ever ride on (because it parallels a freeway and there was no other route to get where I want to go) is pretty wide, but there's kind of a choke point, and right at that choke point one morning, I saw a cyclist heading toward me was stopped, so I stopped. In between us there was a snake stretched out across the trail, presumably warming up - it was a cool, damp morning. The other guy said it might be a juvenile rattler, and I had no reason to disagree. So I took my old Zefal HPX frame pump, extended it fully, flicked the lever out to make a hook, and got it under the snake, gently lifting it into the brush beside the trail.

Can't do THAT with a minipump or a CO2 inflater!

Brilliant!

indyfabz 11-01-21 01:19 PM

lplo #3 today.

I have a hypothesis. I will try to test it. Maybe tomorrow.

Velo Vol 11-01-21 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22291808)
And I'm hoping to be productive throughout the Winter.

I'm hoping merely to survive the winter.

Mojo31 11-01-21 01:40 PM

#NewJerseyLicensePlate

The bottle incident is unforgiveable.

As for the other, I've had a few instances where I've awkwardly extricated myself from mine, a few times nearly falling out when trying to get out. I'm not what one would consider "large" and don't have any impairment issues other than being 64, but those things are low to the ground.

Speaking of which, I'm taking my son to a Porsche track day on Sunday. Get to fling manufacturer cars around a track for 4 hours for free. I told my kid that he better be at least as fast as I am.

indyfabz 11-01-21 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22291862)
As for the other, I've had a few instances where I've awkwardly extricated myself from mine, a few times nearly falling out when trying to get out. I'm not what one would consider "large" and don't have any impairment issues other than being 64, but those things are low to the ground.

Car had hadicap (Are we allowed to use that word?) plates. I also watched the guy walk. Definite mobility problems. From the standpoint of practicality, doesn't seem like the right vehicle for him.

Heh. It's still outside parked next to my bike. I should leave a nastygram on his windshield.

big john 11-01-21 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22291611)
He's actually quite good, unleashed. He's got a beautiful deep ball and in the previous two games, he's lead three game-winning drives in the 4th quarter/OT (the FG kicker missed one, sending it in to OT, Cousins promptly want back down the field and got the TD instead).

Zim just has them playing the game in a manner to keep the score low. The philosophy pretty much seems to be, "well, we win 70% of the games where we keep the opponent under 20 pts, so let's concentrate on that." Unless they're really behind the 8-ball, he wants them chewing up the clock on offense - pounding the run and dinking and dunking the pass. Sure, that keeps games low-scoring, but it also keeps opponents close enough for anything to happen - look at any of their games this year for evidence of that. Once the Vikes fail to move the chains on an attempted 8min, 15-play drive, they have to give the ball over to an opponent that's always within striking distance.

Someone needs to point out to Zim that the Vikings win 100% of the games in which they out-score their opponents. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of years ago when the Rams had Chuck Knox as head coach. People called him "Ground Chuck" because he leaned into the ground game so much. He did have some success with it. Later the Washington Football Team (under their old name) did well with that philosophy. Those successes were partly due to extremely good defense, like the Bears of the early 80s. What did they say? "if you don't score, we can't lose"?

big john 11-01-21 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22291862)

Speaking of which, I'm taking my son to a Porsche track day on Sunday. Get to fling manufacturer cars around a track for 4 hours for free. I told my kid that he better be at least as fast as I am.

How do you get that deal? Is it offered to buyers?
My brother (rip) had a BMW motorcycle and they offered loaner bikes to owners on trips to other countries. One trip he did was New Zealand where he cruised a BMW around in the left lane.

phrantic09 11-01-21 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22291686)
Nextdoor is the place to go when you want to disabuse yourself of the notion that you live in a neighborhood filled work lovely people. Spoiler alert: you have some ******g awful neighbors and you should consider moving... just don't look at Nextdoor after you move. :innocent:

this is true

WhyFi 11-01-21 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22291877)
Reminds me of years ago when the Rams had Chuck Knox as head coach. People called him "Ground Chuck" because he leaned into the ground game so much. He did have some success with it. Later the Washington Football Team (under their old name) did well with that philosophy. Those successes were partly due to extremely good defense, like the Bears of the early 80s. What did they say? "if you don't score, we can't lose"?

Yeah, but those times have passed. Rule changes mean that you just can't consistently bottle-up NFL offenses anymore. Deliberately courting low-scoring games is inviting a lightning strike loss.

datlas 11-01-21 02:13 PM

#NewJerseyLicensePlate

Do you think it was water? Pee??

datlas 11-01-21 02:16 PM

Since the censor is apparently allowing compound words with it-shay in it, I have a funny story from medical school. A family had a baby, a son. They were immigrants and English was clearly not their first language. The son's name was pronounced "****h-eed" but they chose to spell it "****head." Poor kid.

big john 11-01-21 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22291899)
Yeah, but those times have passed. Rule changes mean that you just can't consistently bottle-up NFL offenses anymore. Deliberately courting low-scoring games is inviting a lightning strike loss.

Yeah I don't think we're going to see a dominant team like that anymore.

big john 11-01-21 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22291911)
Since the censor is apparently allowing compound words with it-shay in it, I have a funny story from medical school. A family had a baby, a son. They were immigrants and English was clearly not their first language. The son's name was pronounced "****h-eed" but they chose to spell it "****head." Poor kid.

So they named him after Steve Martin's dog in "The Jerk"?

Mojo31 11-01-21 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22291886)
How do you get that deal? Is it offered to buyers?
My brother (rip) had a BMW motorcycle and they offered loaner bikes to owners on trips to other countries. One trip he did was New Zealand where he cruised a BMW around in the left lane.

It's a promotional event, so the invites go to customers/potential customers. The dealers get allotments of invites, and send them to their customers. I've received the invite in the past, but for this event I didn't. A friend who did passed her invite on to me, and I thought it'd be fun to do with my son. He drives my cars, and has even driven one of the sports cars on the COTA track, but not at speed and with no concern for banging the things up.

It's amazing what you get if you spend some money. In the last 10 years, I've been to about 4 of these Porsche events, a Jaguar event, and received a free day of track training at COTA in December '19 after buying an AMG. It's not worth buying the cars just for that though - you have to want the car, and the rest is bonus. None of the events are hard core, just fun and give you a free taste of speed.

Here's my wife driving at one of them:

This is me at COTA on AMG day:

genejockey 11-01-21 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22291911)

When my sister was in Junior High, she read a book about a family with Labrador Retrievers. There was one puppy with an exceptionally large head, whom they named "Meathead". She did not parse it as "meat head", but thought it was either ME-uh-theed, or me-ATH-ee-AD.

We have, of course, never allowed her to forget this, even half a century later.

genejockey 11-01-21 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22291918)
It's a promotional event, so the invites go to customers/potential customers. The dealers get allotments of invites, and send them to their customers. I've received the invite in the past, but for this event I didn't. A friend who did passed her invite on to me, and I thought it'd be fun to do with my son. He drives my cars, and has even driven one of the sports cars on the COTA track, but not at speed and with no concern for banging the things up.

It's amazing what you get if you spend some money. In the last 10 years, I've been to about 4 of these Porsche events, a Jaguar event, and received a free day of track training at COTA in December '19 after buying an AMG. It's not worth buying the cars just for that though - you have to want the car, and the rest is bonus. None of the events are hard core, just fun and give you a free taste of speed.

GTS 130002 0001 - YouTube

Jim at COTA - YouTube

BMW runs an "Ultimate Driving Experience" thing locally, where BMW owners can drive an assortment of hot (and loud) BMWs. They set up at the Cow Palace, and the route comes down Bayshore then turns onto Guadalupe Canyon - which is the road where the big car chase in Bullitt ends (right across the road from my office). They like to stop at the light and then go ripping up Guadalupe Canyon full bore. I think the local constabulary must get paid off for this event, because it lasts most of a week and some of the cars are going 70 even before they're out of sight.

big john 11-01-21 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22291918)

GTS 130002 0001 - YouTube

Jim at COTA - YouTube

That's pretty cool. Was that your own car?
When the supercharged Corvettes came out they were offering track instruction from Bondurant. The track nearest to here is Willow Springs out in the desert. A friend from the job takes his Chevy V8 equipped 240Z out there for track days. The thing he does puts him on the track with others but they don't race against each other. They can go for time/personal best. He says it is a lot of fun but he goes through a set of track tires in one trip out there.

I've seen videos from Nurburgring when people take their own cars out there and race around and it's just nuts.

Mojo31 11-01-21 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22291943)
BMW runs an "Ultimate Driving Experience" thing locally, where BMW owners can drive an assortment of hot (and loud) BMWs. They set up at the Cow Palace, and the route comes down Bayshore then turns onto Guadalupe Canyon - which is the road where the big car chase in Bullitt ends (right across the road from my office). They like to stop at the light and then go ripping up Guadalupe Canyon full bore. I think the local constabulary must get paid off for this event, because it lasts most of a week and some of the cars are going 70 even before they're out of sight.

I've wondered about the police issue. Once, we were in a Panamera on the road during one of these events, and the lead driver kept pulling on a highway frontage road. I looked over and my wife was at 110 in a 55. She got a bit nervous when I asked her if she knew what the fine was for 55 over.