Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   recommendation for 27.5 carbon wheelset (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1253537)

kevmk81 06-15-22 08:47 AM

recommendation for 27.5 carbon wheelset

I'm looking for recommendations for a good quality carbon wheelset for one of my bikes. The wheel size is 27.5 and would need to fit 2.4" tires. Disc brake setup. Looking for high quality at a good price/value!

Iride01 06-15-22 09:30 AM

What are your expectations for them? What are you wanting that your current wheels don't do for you?

A good price to value ratio sounds like you just want cheap carbon wheels.

kevmk81 06-15-22 11:26 AM

Removing road buzz as the main priority, other than that - the current wheels are fairly heavy and I'd like to reduce the rotational weight. But no - I'm not looking for a cheap Chinese wheelset. I'm wanting something that will last. I guess maybe worded another way - what's the golden standard for wheelsets for the size I'm looking for?

Polaris OBark 06-15-22 11:28 AM

For removing road buzz, tires are much more important than wheels.

Santa Cruz/Reserve wheels are a pretty good buy if $1.5K or so is in your budget. Lifetime warranty. Decent hubs. Excellent rims.

sarhog 06-16-22 07:21 AM

BTLOS wheels I just got a set of these for my gravel bike, very happy with them. Have about 400 miles on them now. Depending on the hub you choose, can be less than $1000 to your door.

prj71 06-16-22 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by sarhog (Post 22543517)
BTLOS wheels I just got a set of these for my gravel bike, very happy with them. Have about 400 miles on them now. Depending on the hub you choose, can be less than $1000 to your door.

Yup. I just recently bought some wheels from BTLOS myself.

There is no gold standard with wheels. Majority of the big names get their wheels from China and then mark them up. Skip the middle man mark up and get them direct from reputable makers from China such as BTLOS, Light Bicycle, Nextie etc.

Iride01 06-16-22 11:35 AM

I haven't had carbon wheels, but my perception from reading what others have said about them is they give you better feel for the road. That road feel is what I think you may be calling buzz. And buzz is useful to me. So that's what I'd be looking for if I was to get carbon wheels. And quite the opposite of your stated desire.

If you are feeling too much of the road, the tire brand, model and width will make the most difference. IMO.

Though maybe I still don't understand what buzz is in your cycling world.

prj71 06-16-22 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22543874)
I haven't had carbon wheels, but my perception from reading what others have said about them is they give you better feel for the road. That road feel is what I think you may be calling buzz. And buzz is useful to me. So that's what I'd be looking for if I was to get carbon wheels. And quite the opposite of your stated desire.

If you are feeling too much of the road, the tire brand, model and width will make the most difference. IMO.

Though maybe I still don't understand what buzz is in your cycling world.

Buzz = road chatter. All of which can be dampened with a carbon frame, carbon handlebar, carbon seat post and carbon wheels.

Iride01 06-16-22 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by prj71 (Post 22543959)
Buzz = road chatter. All of which can be dampened with a carbon frame, carbon handlebar, carbon seat post and carbon wheels.

I guess I've not had any previous bikes that had anything I'd call road chatter. Though I never owned a aluminum bike, but my son's aluminum bike doesn't have it either. At least not what I'd call road chatter. The steel, carbon and aluminum bikes just feel the road differently is all I've noticed.

kevmk81 06-22-22 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by prj71 (Post 22543959)

Sorry - yeah - road chatter. The road feel - yes I like that. Road chatter is what I'm trying to reduce. That pounding you get when on a not so smooth road (cracks, potholes, etc). This is my commuting bike so I ride it daily 26 miles a day (when I'm not working remote obviously).

tangerineowl 06-26-22 03:26 AM

A couple years back I had a 1200gm wheelset built up using some 25mm-deep CarbonFan rims. 28hole.
Same builder also put together some similar weight and spoke count 29er wheels.

Personally the 27.5's feel a bit stiffer/harsher across rough surfaces, even with plush, wide tyres. [2.2-2.4].
Guessing that's partly due to smaller rim diameter.

These experiences have now led me down looking into shallower carbon rims [18-20mm] for the next build, hoping they will offer a little more overall compliance for my 60kg weight.
e.g. Duke rims.

koala logs 06-26-22 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by kevmk81 (Post 22550575)
Sorry - yeah - road chatter. The road feel - yes I like that. Road chatter is what I'm trying to reduce. That pounding you get when on a not so smooth road (cracks, potholes, etc). This is my commuting bike so I ride it daily 26 miles a day (when I'm not working remote obviously).

The 2.4" wide tires you're planning to use would already greatly reduce the problem of comfort over bad roads regardless of the rim material.

What would make more difference is the rim width. Wide (Plus) rims would give you better handling and allow you to run with lower pressure. Lower pressure = better comfort. Most likely, you'd be looking at MTB Plus rims. Take note of the "plus" and NOT "fat". Fat rims for fat bike would be far too wide.