Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Vintage touring with toe clips or without? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1176570)

hatrabbit 06-24-19 08:47 PM

Vintage touring with toe clips or without?

I've always used toe clips on touring bikes, I guess I just got in the habit because that's what the bikes used to come with. How do you all ride? Clipless, toe clips, or bare pedals?

52telecaster 06-24-19 08:51 PM

Pinned platforms.

fliplap 06-24-19 08:53 PM

Half clips. All the positioning, none of the foot trapping retention.

tkamd73 06-24-19 08:53 PM

Toe Clips, no cleats.
Tim

Chombi1 06-24-19 08:57 PM

Many heavy haul, long distance tourers used toe clips and straos back in the day, for the most efficient pedaling.
But there always was a problem with developing "hot spots" under your feet, if they are locked into one position for too long over pedals, so, the thought of using half clips or no clips at all, makes a lot of sense too.....

ryansu 06-24-19 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by 52telecaster (Post 20995466)
Pinned platforms.

MKS RMX sneaker pedals -platform with some subtle nubs. I have them on 2 bikes, soon to be 3 bikes and have had no slippage issues and also no knee issues, I find that the hassle factor of clips out weighs any "pedaling efficiency " benefit I might gain YMMV

Salamandrine 06-24-19 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by hatrabbit (Post 20995450)
I've always used toe clips on touring bikes, I guess I just got in the habit because that's what the bikes used to come with. How do you all ride? Clipless, toe clips, or bare pedals?

Nowadays, SPD for sure. It's an awesome system.

BITD, I used Lyotard #23 pedals, usually with standard cleated cycling shoes, but not always. They were already considered old fashioned, but I liked them because of the platform, which made them friendly to a variety of shoes. While I do get foot pain on occasion, I'm not sure I believe in hot spots. IME thin cycling socks are more comfortable than thick socks, and make more of a difference. No idea why.

If there's not a lot of hills, and you don't mind going slow, I can understand platforms. I grew up with being able to pedal 360º for maximum torque, and am not prepared to give that up.

capnjonny 06-24-19 11:29 PM

I always used toe clips till recently . Then within the space of a year I fell over three times standing still when my shoe caught on the straps . The third time I broke my hip (less than 100 ft. from my house).
I have changed all my bikes to flat pedals. The only issue I have had is occasionally having my shoe slide off the pedal. Now I have pedals with pins and soft rubber soles that grip the pedal more securely. Everyone I know that uses clipless pedals has fallen over at least once. For me it isn't worth the risk of breaking my hip again.

Lascauxcaveman 06-24-19 11:34 PM

"Vintage touring with toe clips or without?"

Yes.

Whichever you prefer at the time.

SurferRosa 06-25-19 12:37 AM

KKT Top Run (overhauled)
Christophe toe clips
Leather straps
Toe clip leathers

randyjawa 06-25-19 02:20 AM

SPD for me on every bike. I will never put my foot or feet into a set of clips and straps again!
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...34da042be5.jpg

Kovkov 06-25-19 03:08 AM

Platform. Since i tour mostly on 3 speeds i like to shift my foot. Toes for spinning, middle of foot for mashing up hill.

Kabuki12 06-25-19 04:36 AM

I use the old style clips with straps . I just don't tighten the straps too tight so I can still slightly move around if needed. It also allows me to get in and out easily. I guess I got used to them back in the seventies and haven't had a reason to change. I found some narrow toe sneakers that I use with them that I only wear for cycling . Fat toe shoes are a problem with clips, for sure. Joe

John E 06-25-19 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kabuki12 (Post 20995806)
I use the old style clips with straps . I just don't tighten the straps too tight so I can still slightly move around if needed. It also allows me to get in and out easily. I guess I got used to them back in the seventies and haven't had a reason to change. I found some narrow toe sneakers that I use with them that I only wear for cycling . Fat toe shoes are a problem with clips, for sure. Joe

My situation is similar. I have used old school clips and straps since 1969 and have no motivation to change. I keep the straps just barely loose enough to allow me to jerk either foot back and out, which is a natural reaction after 50 years. I wear Giro Rumble cycling shoes on three of the bikes, slightly shorter and narrower Diadoras on the Bianchi. I still miss my best-ever Avocet Touring shoes ... . :( Through the 1970s for serious rides in west Los Angeles and environs, including Velo Club La Grange group rides, I had Detto Pietro cycling shoes with nail-on cleats, but I kept the straps just loose enough to permit lift-and-back removal of a foot from the pedal -- I was never "locked in."

I am looking at platform pedal options for longer rides. I had a delightful set of SunTours until one of the cages cracked.

seedsbelize 06-25-19 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by 52telecaster (Post 20995466)
Pinned platforms.

This

JohnDThompson 06-25-19 07:22 AM

Toe clips and straps. My preferred pedals for touring are the Campagnolo Triomphe or Lyotard mod. 23 as these provide good support for a soft-soled street shoe while riding around the campground or in town, but also accommodate a slotted cleat for the long haul between stops.

T-Mar 06-25-19 07:33 AM

My bicycles are equipped with era approriate pedals. The road bicycles are either traditional quill pedals with toe clip and straps or Look compatible clipless pedals. The track, ATB and commuting bicycles are a different story.

Chuckk 06-25-19 07:44 AM

SPD with a light set of recessed cleat mountain shoes. You can get off the bike and walk.
Used to use toe clips and cleats, but hate duck walking when I get off the bike on a tour. That kills Looks and SPD road shoes as well for touring.
Toe clips and flats (I had an old set of Adidas bike sneakers) are OK, but not fun to lose performance.
Can't imagine doing a loaded 60 mile day with sneakers on platforms.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b7f4e5e278.jpg
'69 Dawes Galaxy about '89

Trakhak 06-25-19 07:47 AM

Interesting that JohnDThompson et al. use the Lyotard mod. 23 pedals. I had a pair on my first real bike (Helyett Speciale track bike; got it in 1964), but they lasted only a few months before they started falling apart.

Come to think of it, at age 13 and riding a track bike with a bunch of riders on road bikes, I probably smacked the pedals on the road going through tight corners a few times.

These days, I use either clipless or half clips. If I were touring, I'd probably go with the half clips, since they don't seem to be a limiting factor versus the clipless pedals for anything except sprints, which I don't do these days anyway.

qclabrat 06-25-19 07:53 AM

I've got a big box of toe clips and straps from 15 years ago which shows how long it has been since using them
For touring, mountain bike SPDs with the large platforms are great for a variety reasons already provided, but also a life saver should you lose a bolt on your shoes

Anyone want some free clips and straps, message me and pay for shipping and they are yours

Road Fan 06-25-19 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chombi1 (Post 20995478)
Many heavy haul, long distance tourers used toe clips and straos back in the day, for the most efficient pedaling.
But there always was a problem with developing "hot spots" under your feet, if they are locked into one position for too long over pedals, so, the thought of using half clips or no clips at all, makes a lot of sense too.....

Chombi, I ride with shoes that have a stiff, smooth sole, pedals with a smooth flat top, no cleats, and toeclips/straps adjusted just tight enough to help my feet stay in. I don't pull hard bak and up, but I do "mudscrape" at the bottom of pedal strokes.

jonwvara 06-25-19 08:30 AM

On a cross-country tour in 2017, I used SPDs and went down twice when I misread the slope of the ground and unclipped the wrong foot. The loaded bike may have had something to do with that. (I ride mostly with clips and straps, but have also used SPDs extensively over the past 15 years or so.) I suffered one lightly skinned elbow but most of the damage was to my pride.

Not wanting to repeat that, I tried a set of cheapish BMX platform pedals and comfortable hiking shoes on a 900-mile tour of the South this past march. No comfort issues in the course of some 70- and 80-mile days. No loss of efficiency that I could detect.

Speaking of which, is there any actual data on the relative efficiency of flats vs. clips and straps vs. clipless? There may be some small gains, but I would expect them to be very small. I suspect that clips and straps are mostly a C&V signaling device. I guess that's why I still have them on most of my bikes.

Salamandrine 06-25-19 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Trakhak (Post 20996033)
Interesting that JohnDThompson et al. use the Lyotard mod. 23 pedals. I had a pair on my first real bike (Helyett Speciale track bike; got it in 1964), but they lasted only a few months before they started falling apart.

The thing about Lyotard mod 23 pedals is that the dust cap is what holds them together. You can easily overlook the dustcap getting a bit loose. If it falls off the pedals will fall apart. Same thing for the CA45 and some others. If you pay attention to this IME they are quite durable.

noglider 06-25-19 09:45 AM

I tried toe clips way back when I was 14, and I swore I would never ride without them again.

Click-in cleats came around in the 80s, and it was another upgrade for me. First I used Look, then SPD.

I own lots of bikes. All of them are SPD-equipped except for two of them. Two have dual-purpose pedals, flat on one side and SPD on the other side. One (my street fixed-gear bike) has toe clips. My old English three-speed bike has flat pedals.

Slightspeed 06-25-19 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by randyjawa (Post 20995757)
SPD for me on every bike. I will never put my foot or feet into a set of clips and straps again!
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...34da042be5.jpg

That's me, too. All my bikes have SPDs, except during Eroica (only because they are required). Back in the day, I raced, commuted, and toured, all on toe clips and straps. I discovered SPDs 20 years ago, and the toe clips and old Campy quills went in the bin - until Eroica. Once a year I drag them out to get used to them just before Eroica, then they go back in the bin of obsolete and dangerous stuff. I've tried Shimano road pedals, and Speedplay, but SPDs are the most durable, easiest in and out of, and most walkable off the bike. No question.