Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

indyfabz 03-01-22 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22425339)
Spork.

Ti is the best spork material.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3adfe6fa5.jpeg

genejockey 03-01-22 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22425499)

Now I guess I have to get one of those to go with the Litespeed. I'll put it on the list, behind the Ti bottle cages with Ti bolts, the Ti stem and seatpost, the saddle with Ti rails, the Ti bottom bracket, pedals with Ti spindles... What else? Oh, yeah! Ti watch!

(I was thinking about bottle cages, but I could by 3 stainless steel King cages for the price of one Ti cage. Then it turned out that the 7410 crankset came with Ti crank bolts, so I figured that was all the Ti I need.)

Mojo31 03-01-22 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22425509)
Now I guess I have to get one of those to go with the Litespeed. I'll put it on the list, behind the Ti bottle cages with Ti bolts, the Ti stem and seatpost, the saddle with Ti rails, the Ti bottom bracket, pedals with Ti spindles... What else? Oh, yeah! Ti watch!

(I was thinking about bottle cages, but I could by 3 stainless steel King cages for the price of one Ti cage. Then it turned out that the 7410 crankset came with Ti crank bolts, so I figured that was all the Ti I need.)

Wearing one today! Love how light the weight is.

genejockey 03-01-22 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22425512)

You'd be astonished how light most of my watches are.

Also how small, though this was very much an average sized watch when it was made, which was only a year or so after I was made.​​​​​​​

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5fd8edf2cb.jpg

Mojo31 03-01-22 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22425520)
You'd be astonished how light most of my watches are.

Also how small, though this was very much an average sized watch when it was made, which was only a year or so after I was made.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5fd8edf2cb.jpg

Yep. I know how light yours are!

Mine lean the other way. Today's myti:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a0a49cce14.jpg
​​​​​​​

genejockey 03-01-22 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22425530)
Yep. I know how light yours are!

Mine lean the other way. Today's myti:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a0a49cce14.jpg

​​​​​​​Coaxial escapement! Nice!

WhyFi 03-01-22 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22425512)

I used to have an automatic Benz Micro (makers of phono cartridges) branded Ti watch. I think that I had a problem with one of the stems and stuffed it in a box somewhere. I'm sure I'll come across it one of these years.

Mojo31 03-01-22 05:06 PM

My wife has a Cartier auto that I gave her a few years ago. It has recently ceased to function. Afraid to find out what it will cost to repair. I bought it gray market, and it was a very not crazy priced watch (alu 105 tier), but she loves it. Hopefully the local horologist can fix it. If not, I'm not sure what I'll do.

datlas 03-01-22 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22425264)
Very much in my 'hood! Did you go up the Sam Merrill trail? That little bald spot with the red tint is from a fire last week. It got knocked down really quickly.

I noticed the red patch and wondered about it.

Today’s walk was tame and only included the Cobb estate, plus some of the roads just south and east of it.

bampilot06 03-01-22 05:28 PM

is it a bad thing when you roll the rear wheel backwards and the cranks move?

genejockey 03-01-22 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22425575)

No. If they didn't, your freehub wouldn't be engaging.

genejockey 03-01-22 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22425554)
My wife has a Cartier auto that I gave her a few years ago. It has recently ceased to function. Afraid to find out what it will cost to repair. I bought it gray market, and it was a very not crazy priced watch (alu 105 tier), but she loves it. Hopefully the local horologist can fix it. If not, I'm not sure what I'll do.

If you do have a local independent watchmaker, be nice to them. They're a dying breed. The Swiss have spent a decade or more trying to drive them to extinction.

genejockey 03-01-22 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22425538)
I used to have an automatic Benz Micro (makers of phono cartridges) branded Ti watch. I think that I had a problem with one of the stems and stuffed it in a box somewhere. I'm sure I'll come across it one of these years.

A lot of the vintage watches I've bought over the last decade plus were ones that 'broke' and then got tossed in a drawer, till someone either moves or dies and they get pulled out and put up on Ebay. Often, it's just that they need service.

LesterOfPuppets 03-01-22 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22425493)
She? I did not realize that.

I thought you were just filling in for VV

genejockey 03-01-22 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22425605)
I thought you were just filling in for VV

Speaking of whom......?

LesterOfPuppets 03-01-22 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22425575)

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22425579)
No. If they didn't, your freehub wouldn't be engaging.

what he said, unless you went out and got a bmx bike with a freecoaster hub. if that's the case then your hub isn't working as advertised

LesterOfPuppets 03-01-22 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22425572)
I noticed the red patch and wondered about it.

i miss riding across a strip of fire ******ant on one of my regular routes near here. It was pretty much perpendicular to the road and just 20' wide or so, pretty cool to ride across!

LesterOfPuppets 03-01-22 06:41 PM

Hahaha!!! I might have to take up arms with datlas

Mojo31 03-01-22 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22425580)
If you do have a local independent watchmaker, be nice to them. They're a dying breed. The Swiss have spent a decade or more trying to drive them to extinction.

There is one in Fort Worth who is really good. Just need to get there.

My other ti:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d2b31a8541.jpg

WhyFi 03-01-22 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22425582)
A lot of the vintage watches I've bought over the last decade plus were ones that 'broke' and then got tossed in a drawer, till someone either moves or dies and they get pulled out and put up on Ebay. Often, it's just that they need service.

Yeah, I don't remember exactly what the issue was, but I seem to recall that I couldn't set the time. Maybe the stem spun ineffectually, or maybe the crown broke off altogether - I'll have to see whenever I stumble across it again.

big john 03-01-22 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22425582)
Often, it's just that they need service.

What's involved? Cleaning and lube? What would typically be charged for a service?

Mojo31 03-01-22 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22425651)
What's involved? Cleaning and lube? What would typically be charged for a service?

Depends. Automatic service is often $600-1,000. And up.

Some movements don’t get serviced, but just replaced if you send the watch back to the manufacturer.

genejockey 03-01-22 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22425651)

Clean and lube, yeah, but it involves taking it completely apart to the smallest bits before cleaning. Cleaning itself involves hand-cleaning the jewels to remove any residue of old oils. After a trip through the cleaning machine, each part is inspected (pros will use a microscope) and then you might test each wheel in place by itself to see that is spins freely. If not, you have to figure that out and fix it before you proceed. Next you assemble it, doing a number of tests along the way, and also oiling, which means tiny amounts of just the right oils in just the right places. Once assembled and running, they'll put it on a timing machine and test in 6 orientations, and if it runs more than about 10 seconds/day different at the most, they'll diagnose and fix THAT before proceeding. It's also checked for amplitude, meaning how far the balance swings at full wind. Once the amplitude and timing in positions is good, THEN you can regulate the rate of the watch.

THEN you can put the dial and hands on, and hope that doesn't change how the movement runs. THEN you can re-case it, and test it some more. Check the timing over several days, and maybe let it run all the way down to see how long it runs - modern watches should run at least 30 hours on a full wind. Any less, and there's something wrong and you have to go back through it.

The lowest price for all that is about $150 for a manual wind watch with no complications, and assuming nothing needs replacing. More complicated, more money. I wouldn't expect the Cartier automatic mentioned above to cost less than $300.

BITD, our fathers and grandfathers took their watches to be serviced every year or two, but modern lubricants have stretched that to 5 or more years. But it was always a significant percentage of the cost of the watch to get it serviced.

I did a couple blog entries on this in my old watch blog. Sorry for the longwinded explanation, but I spent a number of years on watchmaking forums and the pros there drill into us hobbyists what constitutes Best Practices.

genejockey 03-01-22 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22425687)
Depends. Automatic service is often $600-1,000. And up.

If you shop around, you can find better, but that's vanishing more and more every year.

genejockey 03-01-22 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22425645)
Yeah, I don't remember exactly what the issue was, but I seem to recall that I couldn't set the time. Maybe the stem spun ineffectually, or maybe the crown broke off altogether - I'll have to see whenever I stumble across it again.

That COULD BE something as trivial as a screw in the setting works not being tightened down enough. My Dad used to pull the stems out of watches, and I think he thought that was fatal, but really, there are only two pieces that might break and both of them are trivial to replace.

BUT a watchmaker will generally not be willing to fix just one thing and will insist on a full service.