Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

big john 03-29-22 06:23 PM

Had a nice ride today, the 44 mile Northern route. It was so beautiful I wish I had brought my camera. Puffy white clouds, a little snow on the hills, a little windy on the return trip and in the low 60s.
It's one friends birthday so another friend bought lunch for everyone after the ride. A one-off restaurant with an Italian inspired menu. Really good stuff and they gave all 4 of us free dessert because of the birthday.

rjones28 03-29-22 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22455343)
Lake has some lace-up shoes in my size on closeout... I've been sorely tempted.

You know what to do.

LesterOfPuppets 03-29-22 06:24 PM

My friend on the Minnetonka has been slacking lately, so I started following an avid poster of Great Lakes maritime activities. Hope y'all like pics of boats :)

Apparently they're just getting moving on Lake Superior for this year.

Ok folks you wanted to see the ships sitting out below Isle Parisienne waiting to go upbound?? Well here you go... Courtesy of a crew member from the Edwin H Gott! (Not the Wheel Minion I would give him full credit LOL)

This was taken just as the Gott was approaching Gros Cap earlier this evening... Here's what you're looking at:

Foreground on the left: John G Munson
Foreground on the right: Michipicoten
North of the Munson: American Mariner
North of the Mariner: Captain Henry Jackman
North of the Jackman: Arthur M Anderson
North of the Anderson: Presque Isle
Directly north of the Gott in their wake: Edgar B Speer
They had not reached the Clyde S VanEnkevort/Erie Trader yet which is why they are not in the picture

Absolutely stellar view of what it's like out there right now

All of these vessels will start to move tomorrow and I am hoping they all clear out because Wednesday we are expecting 4-6" of snow which is not good.. I am definitely not looking forward to that and I'm sure everyone would like to get the heck out of here before that happens
https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...3A&oe=6248976C

LarrySellerz 03-29-22 06:25 PM

Got absolutely demolished by this older (60s?) guy who wouldn’t even speak to me on my commute home today. Rolled up to him on a red light and 3 miles later he broke me. Was on 42x18 single speed with a knobby front tire and sketchy brakes, but no excuses, he won fair and square. Can’t spin as fast as I used to :( :( I think the COVID shot got me pretty bad.

I’ll get him next time. Actually kind of upset that he destroyed me but whatever. He even sprinted away which I thought was his downfall because I wanted to do a steady TT effort to overpower him, but no could never catch up

WhyFi 03-29-22 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22455376)
My friend on the Minnetonka has been slacking lately, so I started following an avid poster of Great Lakes maritime activities. Hope y'all like pics of boats :)

I've been itching to get in a ride around/through Lake Minnetonka. Maybe I'll have the weather this weekend.

The big boats on Superior are fun. IIRC, you should be able to access the live feed of the camera at the Maritime Visitor Center at Canal Park in Duluth, right next to the lift bridge. Before my FIL passed, when we'd visit, we'd sometimes call him and have him patch in while the kids waved.

WhyFi 03-29-22 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22455375)
You know what to do.

Handwring until they're sold out and then be super bummed for a few minutes before moving on?

rjones28 03-29-22 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22455400)
Handwring until they're sold out and then be super bummed for a few minutes before moving on?

Sounds about right.

Bah Humbug 03-29-22 07:03 PM

It's like looking into a mirror.

datlas 03-29-22 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22455274)
There's a P&R joke here but I probably shouldn't.

Wouldn’t be prudent.

genejockey 03-29-22 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22455378)
Got absolutely demolished by this older (60s?) guy who wouldn’t even speak to me on my commute home today. Rolled up to him on a red light and 3 miles later he broke me. Was on 42x18 single speed with a knobby front tire and sketchy brakes, but no excuses, he won fair and square. Can’t spin as fast as I used to :( :( I think the COVID shot got me pretty bad.

I’ll get him next time. Actually kind of upset that he destroyed me but whatever. He even sprinted away which I thought was his downfall because I wanted to do a steady TT effort to overpower him, but no could never catch up

If nothing else, riding around here should keep you humble.

genejockey 03-29-22 07:26 PM

Hey, I've saved a lot of money that way!

Though I do wonder whether, if I'd scored that Litespeed I was looking at on Craigs List back in 2020, I might have 4 bikes today instead of 10.

indyfabz 03-29-22 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22455370)
how are you eating the leafy green vegetables if you are on Coumadin? I take my second dose today. I've noted some light headedness. Have you experienced that?

Once you get adjusted you need to eat a consistent amount on Vitamin K-rich foods. I’ve been on the stuff since 1990 and I eat plenty off leafy vegetables. Never experienced lightheadedness. Don’t be fooled by the myth that it makes your blood less viscous (I.e. thinner).

How often are you going to get your INR checked?

LAJ 03-29-22 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22455192)
Crap. That's what I've BEEN doing!!!

EDIT: I think the biggest difference between Zwift races and races IRL is there are no curves in Zwift, no places where you stop pedaling to take a curve, for example. Also, no slow starts. It's full gas from the gun.

Funny. I've read your race reports.

LAJ 03-29-22 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22455180)
One of the things I've had to get used to with my return to Trainerville (and the Tacx virtual rides exclusively) is the need to hammer downhill into tight corners to get the best workout. Really want to coast into them... but no, in Trainerville you can be spinning 100RPM and 40MPH on a downhill switchback. It's still a little unnerving.

That would be weird.

LarrySellerz 03-29-22 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22455364)
It was wind-assisted, so a lot less impressive. Did you ride Sunday, there was a monster tailwind heading North!

No bikes I'm looking to get rid of, sorry. What happened to that Bianchi you were riding?

Someone stole it when it was unlocked at safeway

LAJ 03-29-22 08:34 PM

Gimme a few days for this transaction to occur, and I'll getcha some. 45% is mine for helping this nice fellow out.

"I am writing to request your assistance in transferring
$12,500,000.00 dollars. This fund is the excess profit of my agency
that I am the manager of last year (ie fiscal year 2020)."

Seriously, I like lace ups, and I'm tempted. I have enough shoes that keeping them cleated is an issue, but still....

genejockey 03-29-22 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22455479)
Someone stole it when it was unlocked at safeway

Bastards!

Mojo31 03-29-22 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22455492)
Gimme a few days for this transaction to occur, and I'll getcha some. 45% is mine for helping this nice fellow out.

"I am writing to request your assistance in transferring
$12,500,000.00 dollars. This fund is the excess profit of my agency
that I am the manager of last year (ie fiscal year 2020)."

Seriously, I like lace ups, and I'm tempted. I have enough shoes that keeping them cleated is an issue, but still....

Looks like you’re going to need a shyster. Fee is 40%. Deal.

LarrySellerz 03-29-22 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22455516)
Bastards!

It was my b. Im drinking buddies with some homeless fellows in the area and I have a small bounty on the bike but I doubt it will turn up.

phrantic09 03-30-22 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22455249)
Yeah, it really depends. The chamois is going to be a huge part of the equation, and preference is going to play in to that a lot: thick/thin, cushy/dense, fore/aft placement, etc. After the chamois, you get in to cut, level of compression, style of leg gripper (I really don't like elastic band grippers anymore - give me a wide cuff of direct-applied grippy dots, please), etc.

I don't think that I've bought anything other than Twin Six (Voler) and Rapha in the last five years, so I don't really know what's going on outside of those two. Within those brands, and under $150. I like the T6 Standard Race Bibs and the Rapha Core Cargo bibs. The T6 have a little bit of a thinner pad, whereas the Rapha is a little thicker, but it's not dense. For 20 or 30 bucks less, Rapha also has the regular Core Bibs, without the thigh pockets, but I really like the pockets and Cargo version seem, to me, to have slightly higher compression, which I like. The Cargo version are also a little warmer, which may not appeal to someone in TX, though.

If I were in the market, I'd be really tempted to try out those previously mentioned Assos.

I have some Core tights that I find “okay.” I’m not sure if it’s that the pad is too thick or something else. It’s actually stopped me from ordering the bib shorts but I want to give them another chance.

I have a couple of pair of Pactimo bibs that are awesome. They normally retail in the 200s but they pretty much always have a sale. I’m generally impressed with the quality of their clothing, my winter jacket and my vest are from them and they’re perfect.

phrantic09 03-30-22 03:31 AM

I gave up saying JFC for lent. But seriously…

Wordle 284 6/6

⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟩⬛🟨
🟩⬛🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

phrantic09 03-30-22 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22455376)

https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...3A&oe=6248976C

When I was a kid we’d always camp on the St. Lawrence in the spring and see these boats in action

ls01 03-30-22 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22455202)
Now that's funny right dere.

​​​​​​​yeah.....but I don't remember why.....

ls01 03-30-22 04:16 AM

I am seriously considering removing the Force 12 speed axs from my '16 Tarmac, replacing it with the 11 speed Red E-Tap from Contador. Re-installing the cable Red 10 speed group, after upgrading the right shifter to 11 speed onto Contador. Anyone have any experience with cable pull disk? Either straight up cable or the cable hydro type?

Bah Humbug 03-30-22 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22455634)
I gave up saying JFC for lent. But seriously…

Wordle 284 6/6

⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟩⬛🟨
🟩⬛🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Because of no coffee yet I landed right where I didn't want to be.

Wordle 284 5/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩