Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

Velo Vol 05-16-22 11:39 AM

wut

LesterOfPuppets 05-16-22 11:40 AM

Ken Block is teasing us with what sure looks like a Porsche, and I'm guessing it's built for Pikes Peak. More pics coming tonight!!!

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...xA&oe=628743CF

big john 05-16-22 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22508585)
Does that mean it’s inexplicable?

I see it as an extreme sport which has detoured from what the masses consider traditional cycling. Let’s be honest, It’s fine for those who get a kick out of taking risks, but single track style mountain biking, or even cyclecross, are not the activities most folks think of when the term cycling comes to mind.

I was referring to the fact that when some of us participate in an event which tests us, our endurance, our resilience, even our ability to finish, it becomes addictive, in a way. We swear we will never try the event again, but after a while, we go back.
It could be anything from a century, a running event, a race of some kind, whatever.

As for "gravel" riding being extreme, there are so many different circumstances riding off the paved surfaces that you can't just lump them all together. I would argue that an easy ride on a quiet dirt road is far safer than riding in traffic on the city streets.
Ten years of riding off road motorcycles and 30+ years of mountain biking and my worst injuries were from a road bike crash on a paved bike path. I never knew anyone killed riding off road, bicycle or motorcycle. I wish I could say the same about road biking.

big john 05-16-22 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22508590)
Yeah, but what most folks think of when cycling comes to mind is idiots blowing through red lights in front of them so they have to hit the brakes, and then the rider flips them off. At least, that's what everybody says in the comments under any article about cyclists being run over by cars or trucks.

Most folks think road cycling is an extreme sport. Tell non cyclists what you do and they will react with shock and tell you how crazy you are.

Mojo31 05-16-22 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22508612)
Ken Block is teasing us with what sure looks like a Porsche, and I'm guessing it's built for Pikes Peak. More pics coming tonight!!!

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...xA&oe=628743CF

I'm sure it will be suitable for hoonin around.

genejockey 05-16-22 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22508629)
Most folks think road cycling is an extreme sport. Tell non cyclists what you do and they will react with shock and tell you how crazy you are.

"FIFTY MILES?!?!"
"Yeah. I had to get home early, so I did a shorter route."

Mojo31 05-16-22 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22508604)
There was a delay in delivering my mattress. For the first couple of weeks I slept on the floor. Fortunately, it was carpeted, and there was a large, oval throw rug on top of that in the "living room." One main room, separate kitchen and bathroom.

Thing is, he may end up having a really fun summer. Despite the amount of time I spent studying my first year, I still had fun. And then I got a summer job in Alcoa's law department after my first year. $900/week was like hitting the lottery to me. I no longer had to count every penny. My only other job prospect was an hour bus ride way and paid $7/hr. I was on such a limited budget my first year I didn't have money to eat out or buy "decadent" food. When I started at Alcoa I had to take a physical. My total cholesterol was 118. The company doctor told me if it had been much lower they would have been worried about liver disease. I told him I had "poor man's disease."

He likely will. If he's going to consider a position in Dallas after graduation, we wanted him to have a taste of what it's like to live there. And, we don't want to have to take care of another dog while he is gone 10-12 hours per day.

big john 05-16-22 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22508637)
"FIFTY MILES?!?!"
"Yeah. I had to get home early, so I did a shorter route."

A group of us rode by a little league field one day during a practice. A kid, maybe 12, ran to the fence to yell out "You're crazy to ride on the street". Indoctrinated by adults, no doubt.

BillyD 05-16-22 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22508380)
We could see the early part of the eclipse here, before the moon rose into the clouds sitting higher in the night sky.

Luckily the internet is flooded with pics.

We was robbed. Storm clouds. I got a few crummy shots during breaks in the clouds, but nothing to be proud of.

BillyD 05-16-22 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22508590)
Yeah, but what most folks think of when cycling comes to mind is idiots blowing through red lights in front of them so they have to hit the brakes, and then the rider flips them off. At least, that's what everybody says in the comments under any article about cyclists being run over by cars or trucks.

We’re not our own worst enemy, by far, but we could do better.

seedsbelize2 05-16-22 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22508543)
One cannot allow ones mind to think, even for a moment, that one is quicker than a cat.

But if you know ahead of time that it's coming, you can get the hand out in time. Mostly.

Mojo31 05-16-22 12:33 PM

My alma matter graduated the country's youngest African American law student ever in this country: 19-year-old Texan becomes youngest African-American to graduate law school in U.S. (msn.com)

My, how the school has changed since I attended (and in a good way).

LesterOfPuppets 05-16-22 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22508634)
I'm sure it will be suitable for hoonin around.

I guess he couldn't wait 'til tonight to post more pics. More teasers are dropping...
Much crabon.

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...1w&oe=6287D383

cockpit, and a few blurry Porsches in the background.
https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...Rg&oe=6286F592

Velo Vol 05-16-22 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22508689)
We’re not our own worst enemy, by far, but we could do better.

I'm not my enemy at all.

seedsbelize2 05-16-22 12:48 PM

I'm now painting walls, instead of columns and beams. It eats the paint much more quickly. With this in mind, and in the interest of actually finishing the project, I'm going to go out on a limb and fill a second liter from the gallon can. A little nap, a cuppa instant and back at it.

seedsbelize2 05-16-22 12:49 PM

I'm not a big fan of singletrack, but I enjoy riding off-road in occasion

LAJ 05-16-22 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22508585)
Does that mean it’s inexplicable?

I see it as an extreme sport which has detoured from what the masses consider traditional cycling. Let’s be honest, It’s fine for those who get a kick out of taking risks, but single track style mountain biking, or even cyclecross, are not the activities most folks think of when the term cycling comes to mind.

Soon, crits raced in the garage will be the norm, and our risk aversion will be complete.

Velo Vol 05-16-22 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22508727)
I'm now painting walls, instead of columns and beams. It eats the paint much more quickly. With this in mind, and in the interest of actually finishing the project, I'm going to go out on a limb and fill a second liter from the gallon can. A little nap, a cuppa instant and back at it.

Keep us posted.

indyfabz 05-16-22 01:02 PM

I suspect this was from a recent organized ride from NYC to Philly on the East Coast Greenway.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bd5467b1d.jpeg

Mojo31 05-16-22 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22508743)
Soon, crits raced in the garage will be the norm, and our risk aversion will be complete.

There was a 20-something sitting at a restaurant table next to us Friday wearing a t-shirt that said, "I paused my game to be here."

He looked the type as well.

The apocalypse is upon us.

Mojo31 05-16-22 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22508746)
Keep us posted.

Maybe he'll tweet a video of the activity so you can watch it dry.

MoAlpha 05-16-22 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22508609)

Those things are fun, at least at my age. I wish there were more of the share ones around my neighborhood.

Bah Humbug 05-16-22 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22508530)
It's just thought, but yeah TBH probably looking at new or gently used, newer than 5 years. Stay tuned.

Probably fine for her, then. But seriously, you would not want to be in it with the roof on. Not joking.

BillyD 05-16-22 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22508623)
As for "gravel" riding being extreme, there are so many different circumstances riding off the paved surfaces that you can't just lump them all together. I would argue that an easy ride on a quiet dirt road is far safer than riding in traffic on the city streets.

Totally agree, that's why I didn't mention gravel riding, I mentioned single track mtn biking and cyclocross..

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22508743)

I'm just saying that for someone to be opposed to the riskier versions of cycling is not an odd thing. Losing time to heal up from avoidable injuries is not the goal of having fun.

But, to each his own.

Velo Vol 05-16-22 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22508758)
Maybe he'll tweet a video of the activity so you can watch it dry.

He doesn't even post pictures.