Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

genejockey 04-01-22 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22458613)
Ah, so way back. Way, way back.

Yeah, wine coolers were training wheels for underage drinkers. Ick.

Sadly, I'm so old that wine coolers came out several years after I'd already been drinking legally. OUR underage drinking was either cheap beer, or cheap fruity wines like Annie Green Springs. Yeesh.

rjones28 04-01-22 03:32 PM

The guy that bought the land adjacent to our place tore down half a dozen houses. So, fewer houses near me than 5 years ago. :)

LesterOfPuppets 04-01-22 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22458613)
Ah, so way back. Way, way back.

Yeah, wine coolers were training wheels for underage drinkers. Ick.

I remember when Sun Country wine coolers were 99¢ for a Two-Litre bottle.

Seems dangerous thinking about it now.

BillyD 04-01-22 03:38 PM

Sounds like the motor vehicles are gradually winning the competition for the roads. Who wants to volunteer to inform A&S?

WhyFi 04-01-22 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22458650)
Sadly, I'm so old that wine coolers came out several years after I'd already been drinking legally. OUR underage drinking was either cheap beer, or cheap fruity wines like Annie Green Springs. Yeesh.

You didn't miss out. The other popular thing in my underage days was the... I guess I'll call them the novelty liqueurs. Sugary stuff, like Goldschlager and this other crap with crystals forming at the bottom of the bottle, were popular ones. Jager, too, but only if you wanted to act manly. Basically anything that covered up or distracted from the alcohol. Ugh. So bad.

ls01 04-01-22 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22458573)
Careful. I caught some s**t for suggesting that.

They drink thier way, I'll drink mine.

It said Coke, not Fargo, or Kroger cola...

BillyD 04-01-22 03:46 PM

My favorite cocktail is my wife's recipe for margarita. That bad boy is a crowd pleaser. Equal parts of decent quality tequila, contreau, fresh-squeezed lime juice and simple syrup. Shake with crushed ice.

ls01 04-01-22 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22458626)
Remember Zima?

I thought the same. How ' bout Mikes hard lemonaid?

Mojo31 04-01-22 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22458673)
My favorite cocktail is my wife's recipe for margarita. That bad boy is a crowd pleaser. Equal parts of decent quality tequila, contreau, fresh-squeezed lime juice and simple syrup. Shake with crushed ice.

Thats how we do ‘em. You are right - crowd pleaser!

ls01 04-01-22 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22458630)
Same with all whiskies, IMO.

I rarely make a cocktail, I'm a straight guy.

Nttawwt.

Mojo31 04-01-22 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22458675)

I heard it’s good mixed with Coke.

genejockey 04-01-22 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22458673)

I love a good shaken Margarita or Daquiri, though recently I've been going for Golden Gloves, which is essentially the bastard child of a Daquiri and a Margarita.

ls01 04-01-22 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22458662)
Sounds like the motor vehicles are gradually winning the competition for the roads. Who wants to volunteer to inform A&S?

lemonade?.

It won't last. # justapassingfad

ls01 04-01-22 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22458678)
I heard it’s good mixed with Coke.

Like I said. You drink your way, I'll drink mine.

ls01 04-01-22 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22458675)

Mix with Some Tea, make a hard Arnold Palmer...... if thats what your into...

genejockey 04-01-22 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22458688)

That's a hard no.

WhyFi 04-01-22 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22458688)

In Brooklyn, one of our neighbors introduced us to Firefly, a sweet tea infused vodka. My wife loved that mixed with lemonade, which I dubbed a Harnold Palmer.

ls01 04-01-22 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22458581)
I've also been thinking about traffic. Suburban sprawl blows. It used to be, even five years ago, on one of my old favourite routes, that once you got beyond the last stop light in Hardin Valley, you were out in the "country." Maybe get passed by a few vehicles/mile, maybe not even that.

But now they are building, or have built, hundreds of houses out west. Empty fields are turning into subdivisions. And with that comes more and more blow-by buzzings with SUVs and monster trucks. Where's the enjoyment in that?

I'm thinking about retiring from road cycling and moving to a safer recreation, like seedsbelize did. It used to be that when people talked about off-road cycling, they meant mountain biking. There's a pretty good place to ride one 10 or so miles away. Now I guess gravel bikes are popular. Not sure where I'd ride that. On the MUP? Either way, I need to get off the roads.

Same spot in the Hardin Valley.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ac4d8070fb.png

2022 :(

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c9f1ab131d.png

Your thoughts mirror my own on the sprawl thing. There's hardly any farm land left around me. I used to ride to the farm land now I have to drive to it. When I moved into my parents house the rode was gravel. We were the 5th house on it. It's 9/10ths of a mile Long. Hasn't been a lot available for 15 years. Our Saturday ride used to, LA tour de corn. But it's all subdivisions now.

( man the quote function is a bit wonkyer than normal today)

ls01 04-01-22 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22458694)
In Brooklyn, one of our neighbors introduced us to Firefly, a sweet tea infused vodka. My wife loved that mixed with lemonade, which I dubbed a Harnold Palmer.

I'd have to be hammered to order that.:innocent:. Nttawwt. Arnold and Jack are pretty friken good. Especially warmed when you have cold.

genejockey 04-01-22 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22458696)
Your thoughts mirror my own on the sprawl thing. There's hardly any farm land left around me. I used to ride to the farm land now I have to drive to it. When I moved into my parents house the rode was gravel. We were the 5th house on it. It's 9/10ths of a mile Longshore hasn't bee

I hate to say this, especially as a suburban dweller myself, but the desire of everybody to live in a single family home with a yard in someplace with hints of the bucolic is A Bad Thing. Combine this with rigid zoning requirements that prevent the building of denser housing and you're doomed to mile after mile of Not City/Not Country, and it requires you going farther and farther to get to someplace that even seems remotely wild.

OR you end up with someplace like the Peninsula, where you can still get to semi-wild places within a single day's ride, but then housing gets so expensive that people like me can't afford to retire here.

Mojo31 04-01-22 04:28 PM

Several years ago, I was working on a commercial lease deal with a value of about $158 million. We were having a hard time getting the other lawyer to a close, so the client drug me out to West Texas to sit down with the other side and work till we had signatures. As the end of the day came, we got it signed on two conditions - we had to buy the landowners mom a purple Jeep, and we had to got out to celebrate with the landowner and her friend. The required celebratory drink was Fireball.

It was a long flight home that night with our guts rotting.

LesterOfPuppets 04-01-22 04:48 PM

Paotd, irl edition:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9b878ad601.jpg

WhyFi 04-01-22 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22458701)
I'd have to be hammered to order that.:innocent:. Nttawwt.

My wife liked it because it tasted pretty much like a regular Arnold Palmer - it's actually not bad.

WhyFi 04-01-22 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22458730)
The required celebratory drink was Fireball.

There's a map out there of the most popular liquor by state. It's embarrassing how many states are represented by Fireball.

Mojo31 04-01-22 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22458755)
There's a map out there of the most popular liquor by state. It's embarrassing how many states are represented by Fireball.

Fortunately ours is not one of them. Unfortunately for you, yours is.

https://www.iheart.com/content/2020-...n-every-state/