Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Out of sorts if you don’t ride? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1234353)

rsbob 07-08-21 11:01 PM

Out of sorts if you don’t ride?

Other than rest days, do you feel out of sorts if you dont ride?

seypat 07-09-21 04:17 AM

No. I have other things I do besides cycling.

joesch 07-09-21 04:59 AM

I take off days when I feel they are needed, typically about 2 per week if weather does not force more.
I also do strength training and play racket sports for alternate fun.
I also like to alternate bikes and routes.

canklecat 07-09-21 05:27 AM

Absolutely. I cut way back on cycling for several months, starting October 2020, after an old neck injury flared up again. But I got antsy and couldn't just sit around so I started taking longer walks, up to 8 miles. Then I resumed jogging. Then running. Then added laps around the school track.

Next thing I know I've got running pain. The twinges in the ankles, knees, etc., cleared up easily with physical therapy, massage, better shoes, improving my running form. But the hip ache persisted.

So I resumed riding more often around May. Not every day, but a couple of times a week, while cutting back a bit on the full stride running and just doing easy jogging to give the hip a chance to heal.

I still prefer riding. Late Thursday afternoon I jogged 7 miles in the heat, rested awhile, then near midnight decided the bike needed riding. Swapped saddles to try a triathlon saddle borrowed from a friend. Planned to just ride around the block but ended up doing 20 miles along one of my favorite time trial loops since there's virtually no traffic this time of night. It was fun. I can't often describe jogging or running as "fun."

shelbyfv 07-09-21 05:30 AM

Another great poll thread!:thumb:

Iride01 07-09-21 08:03 AM

Needs to be multiple answers. I'd have also picked answer #4 to go along with answer #1.

phrantic09 07-09-21 11:41 AM

I don't feel out of sorts, but get a little grumpy when I have a plan to ride and something gets in the way.

Cycling879 07-09-21 12:13 PM

If I don't ride, I'm much more crabby that day. :troll:

Seattle Forrest 07-09-21 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by seypat (Post 22134395)
No. I have other things I do besides cycling.

This is the right answer.

BobsPoprad 07-09-21 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 22135027)
This is the right answer.

Yep.

CliffordK 07-09-21 01:33 PM

I don't ride every day. But, riding has become the #1 best thing for my knees. And, depending on my activities, a few days or weeks off from riding, and I can really feel it in the knees, almost to the point I can't walk.

I'd rather ride than get a knee replacement.

rsbob 07-09-21 07:09 PM

I get grumpy if I don’t have some form of exercise daily (cycling, hiking) unless in recovery from an especially tough workout. Most competitive people I associate with have a workout plan, if not a coach, and are dedicated to daily workouts to reach a competitive goal. I do not count myself as one of them, but am always working to better my PRs in climbing and average speed. My goal is to be able to go on long rides and have power to get over the hills and go the distance without overly taxing myself.

LarrySellerz 07-09-21 07:16 PM

I can't ride because I messed up my ankle two days ago and I am mad and antsy, I was planning on upping my mileage this week too but thats not happening.

rsbob 07-09-21 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22135569)
I can't ride because I messed up my ankle two days ago and I am mad and antsy, I was planning on upping my mileage this week too but thats not happening.

Sorry to hear that Larry. Such a drag being incapacitated

I saw a podiatrist yesterday and received a shot of steroids in my foot due to a neuroma which developed because a screw for a cleat was unknowingly poking my fore-foot. Call it a dumb self-inflicted injury. Went on a ride today and climbing really made my foot hurt so much I will have to lay off and stay on the flats and on shorter rides if I ride at all. All this when my cycling was ramping up and was finally starting to feel strong. I feel your pain.

LarrySellerz 07-09-21 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22135593)
Sorry to hear that Larry. Such a drag being incapacitated

I saw a podiatrist yesterday and received a shot of steroids in my foot due to a neuroma which developed because a screw for a cleat was unknowingly poking my fore-foot. Call it a dumb self-inflicted injury. Went on a ride today and climbing really made my foot hurt so much I will have to lay off and stay on the flats and on shorter rides if I ride at all. All this when my cycling was ramping up and was finally starting to feel strong. I feel your pain.

that sucks hard man,sorry to hear it. Hopefully you can do low gear high cadence rides for recovery if your foot cooperates, think about it as training to spin faster

Seattle Forrest 07-09-21 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22135569)

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22135593)
Sorry to hear that Larry. Such a drag being incapacitated I saw a podiatrist yesterday and received a shot of steroids in my foot due to a neuroma which developed because a screw for a cleat was unknowingly poking my fore-foot. Call it a dumb self-inflicted injury. Went on a ride today and climbing really made my foot hurt so much I will have to lay off and stay on the flats and on shorter rides if I ride at all. All this when my cycling was ramping up and was finally starting to feel strong. I feel your pain.

​​​​​​I damaged tendons in my feet and ankles in a car accident two years ago. I wasn't able to ride at all for months, the next year I could only do it gingerly and in limited amounts. I'm sorry you're both going through it.

Do what the doctors tell you, give it the rest it needs, but stay as active as you can beyond that. :hug:​​​​​​​

LarrySellerz 07-09-21 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 22135759)
​​​​​​I damaged tendons in my feet and ankles in a car accident two years ago. I wasn't able to ride at all for months, the next year I could only do it gingerly and in limited amounts. I'm sorry you're both going through it.

Do what the doctors tell you, give it the rest it needs, but stay as active as you can beyond that. :hug:​​​​​​​

**** I was planning on taking 3 days off max, ive already bugged doctors with enough nonsense. Could you walk normally after the crash?

Deal4Fuji 07-09-21 10:34 PM

I need some sort of exercise every day that I can, to keep my irregular heartbeat more regulated. If I go too long without getting the heartrate up I can feel it as an anxiousness that's hard to describe but I know exercise settles it. I strive for 4 days of the week riding, and walking the days I don't ride. To me the sweet spot on length of the ride is 50 miles weekends, and 25 miles weeknights. I would get the same result faster if I was still running or playing basketball but my knees say NO

Inusuit 07-10-21 08:05 AM

I alternate riding with weights/resistance. If I miss more than a couple days, I am "antsy" to get back to exercise.

bampilot06 07-11-21 04:35 AM

Keeps me level, I def feel off when I cant ride.

Colorado Kid 07-11-21 05:19 AM

Yes of course. I start getting the shakes and cold sweats. Do you think there's hope for me? ;)

Chuck M 07-11-21 05:20 AM

Apparently a lot of studies tout the emotional benefits of regular exercise. I feel there is some truth to it but I'd imagine there is more to it than simply getting the heart rate up, at least for me. I don't know that I get nuts not exercising, but I'm definitely better on days I ride or run in the morning. A long ride out in the countryside or a run on a great path near my house where I can take time to clear my head, see things and enjoy being out is far better than just tooling around the neighborhood on a bike or looking at the wall on a treadmill. And that seems to set the tone for the entire day. Trying to just burn calories after a day of work is fine for seeing results on the scale, but I think I'm more relaxed in the evening with a glass of bourbon.

GBK233 07-16-21 09:49 AM

I’m new to cycling this year, but I enjoy it so much…that I get a bit pissy if I see bad weather that may affect me riding after work.
I do have “rain bike” but I don’t ride in heavy winds. I have indoor rollers to ride on, but riding indoors sucks imo.

KJ43 07-16-21 10:02 AM

I get anxious and restless when I don't ride regularly.

GBK233 07-16-21 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22134585)
Needs to be multiple answers. I'd have also picked answer #4 to go along with answer #1.

agreed. I have far too many hobbies, but I always make time for my daily 10mile ride. Only takes 30mins for the ride, so it’s not like it cramps my style