Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How fer did you ride today?! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1081695)

Troul 11-04-23 01:28 PM

86 miles. Was cooking the wet pavement without much effort it seemed. The intent was to do a moderate distance before the clouds blew in, which happened later than forecasted. The last dozen miles I ended up soaked in the 51F "heat" .
trying to proactively get ahead of the upcoming gobble day indulgeindulgence.

jaxgtr 11-04-23 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 23061722)
86 miles. Was cooking the wet pavement without much effort it seemed. The intent was to do a moderate distance before the clouds blew in, which happened later than forecasted. The last dozen miles I ended up soaked in the 51F "heat" .
trying to proactively get ahead of the upcoming gobble day indulgeindulgence.

Nothing worse than getting wet in that kind of heat

jaxgtr 11-04-23 10:00 PM

You know, I generally have the outlook that most things have a reason for happening even though we don't see it at the time. Some long time friends of my wife came over for dinner tonight and I have ridden with one of the husbands here and there. I was showing him my new bike and told him of my adventure today and the lack of an emergency tube. He called me a rookie and I could not disagree with him. I mentioned that my tire look like I ran over some carpet tack board and decided to switch back to tubes for now. He asked if I was going to stick with the gravel tires or was I looking to buy some more road like. I told him I was thinking about it, but I wanted something 35mm or larger which really limits the options. He walked out to his car and hands me a box which has pair of Cinturato Velo 35mm that he was going to return to Amazon as they mounted just a bit too wide for his bike and the rear was rubbing the front derailleur. I took them off his hands, so win win for everyone. :thumb:.

Troul 11-04-23 10:08 PM

That is a great random "happen" ! those tires are pretty supple based on my experience.

jaxgtr 11-04-23 10:13 PM

Yea they review very well and I know dude that has been riding them for the last couple of years I think in a 32. He speaks highly of them.

Troul 11-04-23 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 23062083)
Yea they review very well and I know dude that has been riding them for the last couple of years I think in a 32. He speaks highly of them.

When it comes to tires, it's hard for me to stay with one type/kind. I find myself trying out new designs/compounds.... thankfully that habit hasnt crossed over into whole new bicycles as that might make financial recoveries very difficult.

rsbob 11-04-23 10:25 PM

Stormy weather in the PNW. Managed to squeak in a 2.5 mile dog walk between showers and 17 leisurely fake miles on ZWIFT using the Orbea.

On the Bianchi, mounted risers on the aerobars regain access to the bar tops. Its all good.

rsbob 11-05-23 07:19 PM

Dragged out the vintage steel with fenders due to wet roads and threatening rain.

With its mighty 39x26 7 speed gearing, I managed 35 miles and 2600’ climbing at a whopping 14.2 MPH. Did I mention the bike weighs 25 lbs? Good ole Columbus tubing. Yeesh - can’t believe I rode that beast for 20 years. Two days ago I did 32 miles at 19.6 MPH average on my plastic bike.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...35bf89346.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...424e28c23.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...10d4043d2.jpeg

jaxgtr 11-05-23 09:00 PM

@rsbob, wonderful scenery with the red leaves. I got in a late evening 21 before the sun called it a day.

rsbob 11-05-23 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 23063007)
@rsbob, wonderful scenery with the red leaves. I got in a late evening 21 before the sun called it a day.

many thanks. Hope your ride was a good one.

jaxgtr 11-05-23 10:05 PM

yea we might see the fall colors around the Middle or late Jan, LOL

diphthong 11-06-23 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 23061706)
Took the Checkpoint out do some bridge loops to see what the gearing is like with the 46 tooth up front and doing some steep angles. This bridge is not long, but starts out at 8% for about 1/4 mile and reduces to about 5% to the peak. The return trip based on which road you take can be 6.5% or 5% neither of which give me issues, but the 6.5 is longer at 1/2 mile. I decided to come back on the 5% side and on my way down the bridge, I hear a pop and then the spraying of tubeless fluid. I was starting to slide around on the back so I stood and leaned a little forward while applying steady breaking. I did not want to crash at 34 mph. I bring the bike to a stop and tire was pretty loose on the rim. The Orange Seal would not seal it, but then I realized there was nothing left. I walk back up the bridge a little and see a trail of latex. I walk down to the base of the bridge to put a tube in, and then it was then that I realized I was screwed. I did not have my little storage pack in the downtube, it was on my work bench in the garage.

:troll:

So I make the call to my wife. Get home, then start to clean the bike and look at the tire. I had 5 holes in my tire and one of them was quite sizable. I am not sure what I hit, but it has the pattern of carpet tack board but I do not remember seeing anything like that on the bridge, but you never know. I plugged the largest hole, but the others are pretty small so I dropped some super glue in them. I think for interim, I am going to run tubes on this bike which will give me the ability to run smooth tires for road or switch to more off road when I do that. Good thing is that the tubes will fit whatever tire I run. I might have to look into the TPU, since I am seeing people are quite happy with them and they seem to have a little more stretch which help reduce flatting.

So I got in 22.5 miles, 834 ft of climbing the bridges

really doesn't seem to matter whether running tubeless or tubed...every so often, you're going to have a "i'm just done" ride. recall blowing through 6 (6?!?!) tubes in one ride (thorns-not goatheads-from hell) a few years ago (had 3 spares, begged for another from a passing rider) and ending up
riding (mostly) uphill for 11 miles in the dark with only rear blinkie lights. at least your wife picked you up. i was a 45 min drive from home, made the call of shame for the first time and the lady said "figure it out yourself." let's just say we didn't go out for dinner that night.

jaxgtr 11-06-23 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by diphthong (Post 23063113)
really doesn't seem to matter whether running tubeless or tubed...every so often, you're going to have a "i'm just done" ride. recall blowing through 6 (6?!?!) tubes in one ride (thorns-not goatheads-from hell) a few years ago (had 3 spares, begged for another from a passing rider) and ending up
riding (mostly) uphill for 11 miles in the dark with only rear blinkie lights. at least your wife picked you up. i was a 45 min drive from home, made the call of shame for the first time and the lady said "figure it out yourself." let's just say we didn't go out for dinner that night.

LOL.... yep, been there. In the early 2000's I was riding at night a lot of the time as my wife, a nurse working 12 hr shifts, would go to bed early, generally around the same time, my very young kids did. I generally would take off after they were down for the night, 8 to 9. Well one night I took off a little late, about 10:45, and I was at the farthest point out in my ride, about 9 miles and I got a flat. Grumble a little, walk to the next light, do the tube changing bit, and off I go, about a tenth of a mile, I flat again. Now I am ticked, check my tire better this time, I do not feel anything in it, put my last tube in, and head back..... like maybe 200 yards later, I flat again. I find a roofing tack in my tire. I look at the time on my computer and realize it is after midnight, I start walking, going about 1 mile and think, man, this is going to be a long walk in these road shoes. I contemplate the rath I am going to get if I call her, versus taking off my shoes and just walking home, as I did not have to work the next day. I start walking, but after a mile or so, I make the call, but continue walking. It was a very quiet ride except for the part when my 6 year old asked what I was doing riding so far away from home? I look at him and said, good question son, good question. It was frosty the next couple of days, but was almost 100 degrees out. I changed to just ride a 12 mile loop that was never more than roughly 2.5 miles from my house at any point after that and would do 2 or 3 loops.

jaxgtr 11-06-23 11:28 PM

20 on the trainer with 2500 ft of climbing.

diphthong 11-07-23 12:31 AM

(mostly) uninspiring 33-spot. a few steep pitches here and there.

Sierra_rider 11-07-23 10:25 PM

31 miles and 4500' of gain. I took the new-to-me "climbing bike" that I built out, because I wanted to see how much I would notice the weight difference on a steep climb(1.6 miles at 12%.) It's much livelier than my "daily driver" disc bike...I got surprised with rain though and had fun with non-existent braking abilities. I got soaking wet and had to deal with 40ish degree temps.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b1b323544f.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ed10754b3b.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5ae082ac47.jpg

jaxgtr 11-07-23 10:26 PM

Legs were not doing well today, felt like I had 50 lbs of additional weight on each leg, but still did 20 miles and 3500ft of climbing, really slow....

diphthong 11-07-23 10:55 PM

36-spot. hit a few roads/climbs that i hadn't tackled in 15+ years. still very challenging...they were easier than i remembered but not because i was in great shape today.
it's because i was in great shape then and pushing harder than the lcd pedaling squares style/survival mode of today. c'est la vie. part of me is miffy that i was unable
to go faster. the other part of me is grateful that i'm still able to go up some of these grades-at whatever speed.

Sierra_rider 11-07-23 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by diphthong (Post 23064994)
36-spot. hit a few roads/climbs that i hadn't tackled in 15+ years. still very challenging...they were easier than i remembered but not because i was in great shape today.
it's because i was in great shape then and pushing harder than the lcd pedaling squares style/survival mode of today. c'est la vie. part of me is miffy that i was unable
to go faster. the other part of me is grateful that i'm still able to go up some of these grades-at whatever speed.

That's partly why I built the bike above. It's light, but it's mainly to have a bike to run dedicated mountain gearing in the summer(while having "normal" gearing on my other bike.) I ran a 11-40 mtb cassette on the back of my Endurace for the Death Ride this year and it was a game changer. I wouldn't want that gearing all the time, but it's handy when spending all day tackling the big Sierra climbs.

rsbob 11-08-23 06:20 PM

52 miles on a sunny cool day (50* in the sun) with 2000 gain at 16.5 average. Felt thrashed after. Not enough fuel.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...79af91eb2.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...12d6aa6e9.jpeg

kevinkay 11-08-23 06:45 PM

Cut it short at 7 miles at 6:30am because I wasn't properly dressed for the cold

SpeedyBlueBiker 11-08-23 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23065752)
52 miles on a sunny cool day (50* in the sun) with 2000 gain at 16.5 average. Felt thrashed after. Not enough fuel.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...79af91eb2.jpeg

Is this photo up on Redmond Ridge?

rsbob 11-08-23 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker (Post 23065832)
Is this photo up on Redmond Ridge?

Yup at Trilogy. Good eye. Nothing like it in the whole area.

SpeedyBlueBiker 11-08-23 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23065836)
Yup at Trilogy. Good eye. Nothing like it in the whole area.

Did you climb up Novelty Hill Rd. east bound or west bound? I've come up eastbound off of Avondale Rd numerous times but have never gone the other direction.

rsbob 11-09-23 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker (Post 23065963)
Did you climb up Novelty Hill Rd. east bound or west bound? I've come up eastbound off of Avondale Rd numerous times but have never gone the other direction.

I live in the Snoqualmie valley so came up past Carnation Farms, up Union Hill, then crossed over to Avondale and back the same way. When I lived in Redmond I would go up Avondale and Union all the time for hill climbs and go down to the valley on both roads too. I used to climb Avondale from the east, but traffic is just too bad these days so I only descend it these days because I can keep up with the cars.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fe01f1b83.jpeg