Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Velo Vol 06-25-20 05:50 AM

Terrible.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5542595&type=3

Trsnrtr 06-25-20 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21552410)
Itís the eccentric contraction, i.e., activating the muscle while itís lengthening. Painful when youíre not used to it, but, interestingly, the best treatment for tendinosis.

Seriously? I've suffered from MRI-confirmed tendinosis of both quad heads for a long time, years. My ortho guy told me only no riding would fix it but knowing I was a high mileage cyclist, he doubted it would never fully heal. Now, I only need to walk down stairs or a big hill!

So, how steep, how far, and how often? I need to know.

indyfabz 06-25-20 06:01 AM

Had my tour not been cancelled I was scheduled to visit Gem Mountain tomorrow. It's a sapphire mine where you buy buckets of dirt and wash it for sapphires. I was there in 2014. Sounds corny, but it was actually a lot of fun, and the staff is very friendly. It's so popular now that you have to reserve a timeslot. This morning I learned that the place was forced to close because a worker got the virus, forcing most of the remainder of the staff has to quarantine.

The employee who showed me how to wash the dirt insisted on taking this photo as I was leaving. She also offered to give me a ride back into town if I couldn't get through the washed out section of the pass I was about to climb.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...69bc16c0ec.jpg

WhyFi 06-25-20 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by mzeffex (Post 21552392)
I... don't really know if this is the place to share. But some certainly knew him. Bikeforums legend Pcad was struck and killed by a car while riding yesterday.

Rest in peace.

Oh, man. I'm at a loss.

LAJ 06-25-20 06:08 AM

What a ****ty way to start the day.

Trsnrtr 06-25-20 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21552454)

seriously, this sucks.

MoAlpha 06-25-20 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21552435)
Seriously? I've suffered from MRI-confirmed tendinosis of both quad heads for a long time, years. My ortho guy told me only no riding would fix it but knowing I was a high mileage cyclist, he doubted it would never fully heal. Now, I only need to walk down stairs or a big hill!

We will have to look it up. I have never used it for quad, but I have used it to fix my tennis elbow and Achilles.

WhyFi 06-25-20 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21552428)

Not showing. Is it private? Or recently deleted?

WhyFi 06-25-20 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21552376)
So not bad overall. Not like the reason AG will not buy stuff from overseas anymore, which is that one time I had her get... I forget what from Merlin early on and the price double with customs.

The number of ways y'all could be dealing with me still trying to find someone...

Now that I think about it, I wonder of splitting the shipment would have gotten around even that. The wheels weren't sold as a pair, so I could have placed two orders, both under $800. I just don't know if customs keeps a running tally within a certain window.

MoAlpha 06-25-20 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21552435)

Definitely a thing for the quad and patellar tendinosis, says a quick Google. Looks like stepping down sideways is a good way.

WhyFi 06-25-20 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21552476)
We will have to look it up. I have never used it for quad, but I have used it to fix my tennis elbow and Achilles.

Somewhere along the line, I was taught that tensing/pulling for a couple seconds while stretching was a good way to stretch, so that's how I've stretched the guads for years (though I probably only stretch after one out of three rides, or so). It does really seem to help more than not doing it.

bampilot06 06-25-20 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21552441)
Had my tour not been cancelled I was scheduled to visit Gem Mountain tomorrow. It's a sapphire mine where you buy buckets of dirt and wash it for sapphires. I was there in 2014. Sounds corny, but it was actually a lot of fun, and the staff is very friendly. It's so popular now that you have to reserve a timeslot. This morning I learned that the place was forced to close because a worker got the virus, forcing most of the remainder of the staff has to quarantine.

The employee who showed me how to wash the dirt insisted on taking this photo as I was leaving. She also offered to give me a ride back into town if I couldn't get through the washed out section of the pass I was about to climb.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...69bc16c0ec.jpg

Is that your dog?

MoAlpha 06-25-20 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21552491)
Somewhere along the line, I was taught that tensing/pulling for a couple seconds while stretching was a good way to stretch, so that's how I've stretched the guads for years (though I probably only stretch after one out of three rides, or so). It does really seem to help more than not doing it.

I believe thatís a different thing. A momentary contraction during a stretch iactivates the tendon organs, which inhibit the stretch reflex at the spinal level, thereby relaxing the muscle and allowing it to lengthen. Eccentric contraction reeorganizes muscle and tendon structure by non-neural means.

Trsnrtr 06-25-20 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21552486)
Definitely a thing for the quad and patellar tendinosis, says a quick Google. Looks like stepping down sideways is a good way.

I go to my my basement numerous times a day. Iíll have to work on that. My left is worse than my right so I assume that you lead with that leg.

Off to google!

oxman 06-25-20 06:41 AM

I... don't really know if this is the place to share. But some certainly knew him. Bikeforums legend Pcad was struck and killed by a car while riding yesterday.

Rest in peace.

Very sad to hear that.

indyfabz 06-25-20 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21552502)
Is that your dog?

No. "shop" dog. He was very friendly.

rjones28 06-25-20 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21552377)
Sounds like a classy lady.

She is very nice. And a serious cyclist.

rjones28 06-25-20 06:45 AM

Rest in peace.

Very sad news. This must be the day of rue that Pcad was always warning us about. :(

MoAlpha 06-25-20 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21552508)
I go to my my basement numerous times a day. Iíll have to work on that. My left is worse than my right so I assume that you lead with that leg.

Off to google!

Stairs may not be the best way. ...and donít go coo coo, young man.

gsteinb 06-25-20 06:47 AM

Sorry to say I just heard that yesterday Pcad was killed cycling

indyfabz 06-25-20 06:51 AM

Rest in peace.

Holy....! :(

rjones28 06-25-20 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21552454)

Indeed

rjones28 06-25-20 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21552478)
Not showing. Is it private? Or recently deleted?

Might be a "friends only" share kind of thing. He's the pic.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7a1ac0c177.jpg

Velo Vol 06-25-20 07:22 AM

Thinking of this thread (and how many other ones?) and I can't even right now. :(

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fac596a9f3.png

LesterOfPuppets 06-25-20 07:23 AM

Rest in peace.

RIP @patentcad.