Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

WhyFi 07-21-20 08:12 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21599005)
I read the books a long time ago, certainly don't remember the details of that scene :o

Sad!


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21599010)
Also:

Nerd!

It's been a while for me, too, but I've read it a handful of times. I've been thinking that my boy might be ready to start them some time soon. The language is prolly too dense in some areas, and never-ending chapters like The Council of Elrond will be a challenge, but read aloud and together, I think he'd enjoy it.

WhyFi 07-21-20 08:15 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21599015)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d030ae7dc9.jpg
My friend wanted a pic of this cactus with her bike to show how big it is. Hard to tell but it is at least 8 feet tall.

Is that an agave? Time to make some mezcal!

LesterOfPuppets 07-21-20 08:16 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21599023)
Is that an agave? Time to make some mezcal!

Looks like agave to me!

Bah Humbug 07-21-20 08:16 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21599000)

Nailed it. Thanks for the assist! Yeah, I came up behind him and he accelerated, I pulled alongside him and he gave me that famous look and tried harder, and by the time I got him I was putting out ~550w. And then he cracked.

big john 07-21-20 08:23 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21599023)
Is that an agave? Time to make some mezcal!

Yeah but it's not the kind they make tequila from. We were miles from anything and were surprised to find it there. The Will Rogers ranch is the nearest thing so they must have planted it years ago. Mezcal? I don't know what they make that from.

LAJ 07-21-20 08:27 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21598774)
So... we didn’t get the house. Someone came in with the same offer amount as us, but all cash. What’s interesting is that they only saw the house via FaceTime so there’s potential that they’ll change their mind about the house (but I doubt it).

But.... There’s a house around the corner from where we rent that we always admire when we walk the dogs. Great lot, we’ll maintained etc. Last night when walking the dogs, they had a FSBO sign in the yard. Mrs. H stops and starts talking to them, and they invite her inside to see the house. I take the kids and dogs home and go back a little later.

The house is incredible, nicer inside than I even expected. The husband, wife and I talked for about 40 minutes about the house and come to an agreement on sale price verbally. My agent is getting them the contract this morning and all we have left after that are attorney approvals and we should be closed by mid-August.

Good deal. I hope it all works out well for you.

MoAlpha 07-21-20 08:27 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21598774)
So... we didn’t get the house. Someone came in with the same offer amount as us, but all cash. What’s interesting is that they only saw the house via FaceTime so there’s potential that they’ll change their mind about the house (but I doubt it).

But.... There’s a house around the corner from where we rent that we always admire when we walk the dogs. Great lot, we’ll maintained etc. Last night when walking the dogs, they had a FSBO sign in the yard. Mrs. H stops and starts talking to them, and they invite her inside to see the house. I take the kids and dogs home and go back a little later.

The house is incredible, nicer inside than I even expected. The husband, wife and I talked for about 40 minutes about the house and come to an agreement on sale price verbally. My agent is getting them the contract this morning and all we have left after that are attorney approvals and we should be closed by mid-August.

Great news!

Velo Vol 07-21-20 08:27 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21598978)
​​​​​Ooof. Guess you'll have to pay to ship it again.

Why does it say "available for pickup" if it's not available for pickup?

I've been wronged.

WhyFi 07-21-20 08:29 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21599035)
Yeah but it's not the kind they make tequila from. We were miles from anything and were surprised to find it there. The Will Rogers ranch is the nearest thing so they must have planted it years ago. Mezcal? I don't know what they make that from.

Tequila is mezcal but it has to come from one of two regions, kind of like Champaign:sparkling wine.

WhyFi 07-21-20 08:30 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21599046)
I've been wronged.

Yes, you have.

So, did you change your ebay address yet? :innocent:

Bah Humbug 07-21-20 08:30 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21599001)
Tisk-tisk. I'm going books, yo - source material.

It’s also the sort of language difference that shows Tolkien’s careful mastery - “cannot” is flat statement of inability; “shall not” means Gandalf was going to stop him. So in this case, movie version was correct, only the statement was incorrect.

I’ve actually been listening to LOTR audiobooks while working to flesh out the missing podcasts in this dead world.

SwtBadger 07-21-20 08:33 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21598774)
But.... There’s a house around the corner from where we rent that we always admire when we walk the dogs.
My agent is getting them the contract this morning and all we have left after that are attorney approvals and we should be closed by mid-August.

Hopefully it works out and you will have a great story to carry as a bonus

WhyFi 07-21-20 08:33 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21599055)
It’s also the sort of language difference that shows Tolkien’s careful mastery - “cannot” is flat statement of inability; “shall not” means Gandalf was going to stop him. So in this case, movie version was correct, only the statement was incorrect.


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21599010)
Nerd!


:innocent:

;)

MoAlpha 07-21-20 08:36 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21598984)
You're undoubtedly being effective with your training, but I bet that you'll be surprised how much your power varies. I did my first few rides with a PM blind and even when making an effort to ride smooth, my power was bouncing all over the place. My pacing/smoothness is much better now.

Oh, no question! I have a winter of smart trainer experience to prove how true what you're saying is.

As it happens, I was approved for little $2500 Special Service Award at work this week and, although that's about what it's going to cost to diagnose and fix a refrigerant leak in our AC system at the end of the week, long-suffering spouse thinks it's okay to reward myself for running that committee or whatever it's for.

MoAlpha 07-21-20 08:39 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21599008)
I love my mtb.

Gotta be big fun and there are lots of trails nearby. I wish I had the space. On the downside, my bike handling is totally lame and I'd probably bash myself up.

abshipp 07-21-20 08:42 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21599055)
I’ve actually been listening to LOTR audiobooks while working to flesh out the missing podcasts in this dead world.

It boggles my mind how some people can listen to others talking and be able to concentrate on an unrelated task.

I can have music with vocals in the background and not have it distract me, but I've never actually cared about what most lyrics are.


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21599063)
:innocent:

;)

:lol:

LAJ 07-21-20 08:44 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21599069)
Oh, no question! I have a winter of smart trainer experience to prove how true what you're saying is.

As it happens, I was approved for little $2500 Special Service Award at work this week and, although that's about what it's going to cost to diagnose and fix a refrigerant leak in our AC system at the end of the week, long-suffering spouse thinks it's okay to reward myself for running that committee or whatever it's for.

Congratulations! (On your new SRM)

Seriously, well done.

bampilot06 07-21-20 08:45 AM

That’s great to hear phrantic I hope it works out for you!

big john 07-21-20 08:48 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21599072)
Gotta be big fun and there are lots of trails nearby. I wish I had the space. On the downside, my bike handling is totally lame and I'd probably bash myself up.

I rode motorcycles off-road for 10 years, nearly every weekend. I worked on the skills that I read about or heard from racers. I became a survival type rider, not willing to take huge chances. You know, a chicken ****.
On the mountain bike a lot of those skills and theories carry over. I know what I'm supposed to do but sometimes I'm not willing to try it.

SwtBadger 07-21-20 08:49 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21599018)
It's been a while for me, too, but I've read it a handful of times. I've been thinking that my boy might be ready to start them some time soon. The language is prolly too dense in some areas, and never-ending chapters like The Council of Elrond will be a challenge, but read aloud and together, I think he'd enjoy it.

When dating my wife for the second time, I read her the series half way through the Return of the King.

Was quite enjoyable, much better than just watching a movie etc... Not sure with child though. Although with a child could help to provide the context and the interpretations as a part of good parenting.

phrantic09 07-21-20 08:50 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21599085)
That’s great to hear phrantic I hope it works out for you!

Thanks!

I hope so too, this one seems to have a good chance of happening.

WhyFi 07-21-20 08:54 AM


Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21599092)
Was quite enjoyable, much better than just watching a movie etc... Not sure with child though. Although with a child could help to provide the context and the interpretations.

Yeah, he's a bright kid, but still lacks the vocab and life experience - we've read some stuff together that's targeted at an older audience and he's really enjoyed it, but there are the pauses to unpack things. The other nice thing about reading aloud is the occasional on-the-fly editing for language and/or to soften content.

MoAlpha 07-21-20 08:56 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21598984)
You're undoubtedly being effective with your training, but I bet that you'll be surprised how much your power varies. I did my first few rides with a PM blind and even when making an effort to ride smooth, my power was bouncing all over the place. My pacing/smoothness is much better now.

Hey, WhyFi. Is any special toolage required to put the cranks on that thing?

big john 07-21-20 08:57 AM

Time to ride.

Velo Vol 07-21-20 09:11 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21599053)
So, did you change your ebay address yet? :innocent:

I have. Sadly I cannot do so on the nearby package. It was close enough I could walk and get it. Are they going to send it back to Taiwan?

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21599108)
Time to ride.

Where to?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.