Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

seypat 07-25-20 12:31 PM

https://wraithfabrication.com/

This builder gets a lot of good reviews from out in the field.

Velo Vol 07-25-20 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21606422)
Never thought about owning a Colnago eh?

Nope.

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21606433)
Shockingly logical. I didn't think that was possible.

I'm surprised you're surprised.

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21606434)

I don't know the lyrics but the oboe part makes for a good lament.

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21606451)
The trigger is elusive, however.

Incorrect. See post #15186. #RaspberriesBad

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21606456)
Speaking of bugles, how has your playing been progressing?

Just practicing enough to maintain status quo, basically. I haven't played outside the house since March. Sad.

Velo Vol 07-25-20 12:48 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21606473)
Over in Japan there's work done on steel just to find better ones for knives, specifically.

Seems that after a few thousand years we should have figured out the knife.

kissTheApex 07-25-20 12:52 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21606175)
I've still got some trauma from using SkechUp to do the layout of the machine shop when my company moved buildings. It was a gigantic model, and my computer was really not up to the task.

Happen to have a spare key laying around for Fusion? ;) I do have Solidworks on my work computer, so if I ever need to do any 3D stuff I could probably just use that.

I share your ďloveĒ for sketchup. Itís a strictly for emergencies kind of thing for me. Fusion 360 used to be free for home and small business (<$100,000 revenue a year). Many of the home/hobby CNC guitar builders choose it for their modeling and CAM use for that reason.

IIRC, Solidworks has a similar scheme too, but it is much more convoluted than ďI am a hobby userĒ statement. I know Iím repeating myself, but I would love to learn solidworks. Alas, my day job totally ruined my plans to buy a ShopSabre 23, so those plans have to wait quite a while longer :cry:.

WhyFi 07-25-20 12:54 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21606490)
Well and my path is only through ~40mpd, which works until I have morning meetings and screw up which day it is. Those who churn out big mileage on single days are more impressive. At least, IMO.

Or those who deal with weather.

I think that consistency is admirable but being on the receiving end of those big days can be demoralizing (in as much as no one really takes it that seriously) - you're feelin' good about yourself and then datlas pops off a couple 90+ mile days. :notamused:

WhyFi 07-25-20 12:55 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21606505)
I haven't played outside the house since March. Sad.

Do you have a stoop? You could take care of that in a jiffy.

BillyD 07-25-20 12:59 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21606336)
We got the house!

Wow, houses are flying off the shelves. Congrats!

MoAlpha 07-25-20 12:59 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21606505)
I don't know the lyrics but the oboe part makes for a good lament..

The text is standard Lutheran dreariness and death: "I've seen Him and now I'm ready to kick the bucket," but the music, God, the music!

Bah Humbug 07-25-20 01:00 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21606511)
Seems that after a few thousand years we should have figured out the knife.

From flint through bronze to iron and steel, we've come a hell of a long way. However, it can be better. Just as bicycles can be better,

datlas 07-25-20 01:03 PM

Ok I have a dumb question. Can you use butyl tube stick-on patches short-term on a latex tube? I have never flatter my summer wheels that have latex tubes, but the double flat concern has crossed my mind as I carry one spare tube and some peel/stick patches as backup.

Anyone know?

genejockey 07-25-20 01:06 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21606505)
Just practicing enough to maintain status quo, basically. I haven't played outside the house since March. Sad.

You play the bugle INSIDE the house? That must be...something.

LesterOfPuppets 07-25-20 01:12 PM


Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21606518)
I share your ďloveĒ for sketchup. Itís a strictly for emergencies kind of thing for me. Fusion 360 used to be free for home and small business (<$100,000 revenue a year). Many of the home/hobby CNC guitar builders choose it for their modeling and CAM use for that reason.

IIRC, Solidworks has a similar scheme too, but it is much more convoluted than ďI am a hobby userĒ statement. I know Iím repeating myself, but I would love to learn solidworks. Alas, my day job totally ruined my plans to buy a ShopSabre 23, so those plans have to wait quite a while longer :cry:.

Solidworks is amazing for 3d work, and even more amazing for 3d assemblies.

Alas, my student version expired long ago and we only have AutoCAD at work. :(

I've been working on 3d modeling in AutoCAD lately and I'm starting to get the hang of it. A lot of stuff is a PITA compared to Solidworks.

Bah Humbug 07-25-20 01:12 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21606520)
I think that consistency is admirable but being on the receiving end of those big days can be demoralizing (in as much as no one really takes it that seriously) - you're feelin' good about yourself and then datlas pops off a couple 90+ mile days. :notamused:

Exactly. And they're harder to achieve - it's easy, or easy-ish, to knock out two hours, but when you're going for six there are logistical issues to sort through that I don't deal with these days. I occasionally take a bottle and never food; I'm sure the 60+ (-mile...) crew has to deal with more.

BillyD 07-25-20 01:22 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21606064)
A pair of monocles?


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21606076)
I'm thinking pince nez.

Ummm, no. Maybe rimless is a better descriptor.

genejockey 07-25-20 01:25 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21606570)
Ummm, no. Maybe rimless is a better descriptor.

So, you'll be, as Archie Goodwin used to say, 'a guy in rimless cheaters'?

BillyD 07-25-20 01:28 PM

Yesterday I finally got around to calculating the grade of my driveway, because this bad boy is the primary reason we need to relocate. As we get older it’s just too hazardous to keep cleared in the winter. So I dragged out the self leveling laser and the tape rule and calculated the driveway to have a grade of 25%. Needles to say I’ve never attempted to ride up there even though it’s only about 50’ long. #kneebuster

BillyD 07-25-20 01:34 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21606578)
So, you'll be, as Archie Goodwin used to say, 'a guy in rimless cheaters'?

Maybe.

MoAlpha 07-25-20 01:36 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21606590)
Yesterday I finally got around to calculating the grade of my driveway, because this bad boy is the primary reason we need to relocate. As we get older it’s just too hazardous to keep cleared in the winter. So I dragged out the self leveling laser and the tape rule and calculated the driveway to have a grade of 25%. Needles to say I’ve never attempted to ride up there even though it’s only about 50’ long. #kneebuster

Eeeyikes! No thank you. That's a case for a heating system.

genejockey 07-25-20 01:40 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21606590)
Yesterday I finally got around to calculating the grade of my driveway, because this bad boy is the primary reason we need to relocate. As we get older itís just too hazardous to keep cleared in the winter. So I dragged out the self leveling laser and the tape rule and calculated the driveway to have a grade of 25%. Needles to say Iíve never attempted to ride up there even though itís only about 50í long. #kneebuster

Up from the street or down from the street - not that it really matters.

Pirkaus 07-25-20 01:52 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21606422)
Never thought about owning a Colnago eh?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bf0be30fd4.jpg

I've swapped bikes with a friend of mine, we ride the same size and similar set ups, his C40 with Record is a fun ride. Apparently computer programmer's ride Colnagos.

LesterOfPuppets 07-25-20 01:53 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21606590)
Yesterday I finally got around to calculating the grade of my driveway, because this bad boy is the primary reason we need to relocate. As we get older itís just too hazardous to keep cleared in the winter. So I dragged out the self leveling laser and the tape rule and calculated the driveway to have a grade of 25%. Needles to say Iíve never attempted to ride up there even though itís only about 50í long. #kneebuster

Uggh. Nasty.

I briefly lived in a place in Portland where the street was a 10% downhill into our driveway which was a 20% uphill. Got pretty sketchy in the snow and ice.

My roommate had a rear wheel drive Nissan Hardbody and couldn't get out of the driveway and headed up the hill. So he figured he would go all the way down the hill first to get a running start. His truck sat parked at the bottom of the hill for 3 days. :)

I was able to get out with my front wheel drive Toyota Corolla hatchback, but damn near took out the mailbox on the way back home one night.

Pirkaus 07-25-20 01:59 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7ce7ee0751.jpg
These days I plan my longer ride around available hydration. Velo Vol would not approve :innocent:

WhyFi 07-25-20 02:03 PM


Originally Posted by Pirkaus (Post 21606637)
These days I plan my longer ride around available hydration. Velo Vol would not approve :innocent:

Those LB wheels treatin' you well?

Bah Humbug 07-25-20 02:11 PM


Originally Posted by Pirkaus (Post 21606632)
I've swapped bikes with a friend of mine, we ride the same size and similar set ups, his C40 with Record is a fun ride. Apparently computer programmer's ride Colnagos.

Not this one, but I would.

Pirkaus 07-25-20 02:15 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21606647)
Those LB wheels treatin' you well?

I have a couple hundred miles on them now, and really do like them. The DT Swiss hubs are smooth, build is excellent, the weight is, well, light, they behave well in the wind and look great. So yes they are treating me well. :thumb:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.