Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Velo Vol 01-19-22 12:14 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22379772)
**** Apple

Now what?

phrantic09 01-19-22 12:19 PM

Just found a 2021 Carbon Red Aspero w. GRX 810 and the reserve 32 wheels. I pick it up Saturday and they gave me $250 off. Only have to drive 2 hours.

genejockey 01-19-22 12:25 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22379818)
Just found a 2021 Carbon Red Aspero w. GRX 810 and the reserve 32 wheels. I pick it up Saturday and they gave me $250 off. Only have to drive 2 hours.

Each way? That's $62.50/hour.

phrantic09 01-19-22 12:26 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22379829)
Each way? That's $62.50/hour.

Hah! Since the nearest dealer is 2 hours away, I’ll take it. Better than paying to have it shipped.

Mojo31 01-19-22 12:33 PM

I drove more than 2 hours each way to buy a bike a couple of years ago with no discount. I actually lost money on that deal since I took a day off work to do so.

Sounds like Mr. Phrantic09 negotiated a shrewd deal!

datlas 01-19-22 12:33 PM

Good news: had a good club ride today
Bad news: weather forecast looking sucky for the next week and possibly longer

genejockey 01-19-22 12:41 PM

Boringly technical discussion of bike geometry and fit follows. Feel free to scroll past:

I was puzzling over why the saddle on the Litespeed seems to be slammed forward in the cradle of the zero setback post I bought. After a bit of analysis, I conclude it's a combination of several factors.

1. Because I have short thighs for my leg length, my saddles are generally farther forward than average.
2. Because my legs are long for my height, and I point my toes when I pedal, my saddle height is higher than average.
3. Because the virtual seat tube angle at 73 degrees is more slack than my other bikes
4. Because the ACTUAL seat tube angle is even more slack than 73 degrees, since the seat tube is curved to shorten the seat stays
5. Because the clamping part of the saddle rails on the Fizik Aliante VSX is about 1 cm farther forward, relative to the contact points, than my other saddles.

The funny thing is, with the saddle slammed all the way forward in a zero-setback post, the saddle setback (measured saddle nose to center of BB) is about a cm greater than my other bikes with different saddles. So I measured the distance between what is functionally the back of the saddle and the tip of the nose, and the Fizik is a cm shorter. Which just goes to show you that measuring setback that way only works when all your saddles are the same.

In any case, Sunday's ride confirmed that the saddle height and setback are correct, no matter how odd they may look.

genejockey 01-19-22 12:47 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22379833)
Hah! Since the nearest dealer is 2 hours away, I’ll take it. Better than paying to have it shipped.

There's also nothing quite like getting to run your grubby little mitts all over it and 'Ooo and Ahhh' in person before plunking down the scratch. AND you don't go through what I did with the Litespeed, obsessively hitting 'refresh' on the tracking, while worrying that UPS would put a piano on top of the box or something.

datlas 01-19-22 01:27 PM

One of my cycling friends works for Hammerhead which I learned has been bought by SRAM. I wonder if he can get us a “friends and family” discount on SRAM schwag. Hmmm….

bampilot06 01-19-22 01:29 PM

Fresno is…… interesting.


Watching the weather as well. At first I was pissed because it looks like another week I won’t get to ride outside, but now I am just concerned that I won’t even be able to get home.

the forecast for Richmond keeps flip flopping on when the snow of going to start. I just hope the flights don’t all get canceled on Friday. If I get stuck in New York I am crashing at Phrantics.

genejockey 01-19-22 01:54 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22379912)
Fresno is…… interesting.


Watching the weather as well. At first I was pissed because it looks like another week I won’t get to ride outside, but now I am just concerned that I won’t even be able to get home.

the forecast for Richmond keeps flip flopping on when the snow of going to start. I just hope the flights don’t all get canceled on Friday. If I get stuck in New York I am crashing at Phrantics.

Back in 1986, there was a miniseries called "Fresno", which parodied all the primetime soap operas that were all the rage then - Dallas, Dynasty, Falcon Crest, etc. The opening scene of the first episode showed the Spanish arriving in California, and their scouts returning from all over with the things they'd found, and their leader keeps being amazed at how wokderful everything is. Then one of the scouts gives him a bunch of grapes, which he tastes, and spits out in disgust - "The grapes taste like fresno!"

LesterOfPuppets 01-19-22 02:06 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22379936)
Back in 1986, there was a miniseries called "Fresno", which parodied all the primetime soap operas that were all the rage then - Dallas, Dynasty, Falcon Crest, etc. The opening scene of the first episode showed the Spanish arriving in California, and their scouts returning from all over with the things they'd found, and their leader keeps being amazed at how wokderful everything is. Then one of the scouts gives him a bunch of grapes, which he tastes, and spits out in disgust - "The grapes taste like fresno!"

Jon Wayne says something about the smell of Fresno in Texas Wine. I think Fresno might be on map on the record cover.

https://sonichits.com/video/Jon_Wayne/Texas_Wine

LesterOfPuppets 01-19-22 02:08 PM

Ah yes, I don't remember it being pink, but haven't held that record in my hand since the late '90s

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6f128e7339.jpg

DougRNS 01-19-22 02:19 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22379807)
Now what?

always and forever.

Eric F 01-19-22 02:36 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22379912)
Fresno is…… interesting.

No. It's not.

ls01 01-19-22 02:56 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22379042)
When I was still working in the lab, I used to be very particular about laying out everything I needed for larger experiments, so I could just work my way through them. Small experiments, not so much. That generally involved trying to remember where things were on the fly.

Nowadays, when I'm rebuilding a bike, I lay out the tools I'll need, the parts I'm using, the little bits like cable ends and stuff like that. But as I'm going through it, I just put tools down when I'm not using them and I end up having to hunt for things. Usually it's the 5mm Allen key that I'm looking for.

Sunday while I was cleaning up the garage from the engine work on the avalanche. I couldn't find the 10 mm wrench I used to put on the battery cable. It was the last thing I did before pushing it outside. I looked for 20 minutes before I finally said enough, It'll turn up. After I mopped the floor and put all the other tools and parts away I had still not located that wrench. I said screw it and went in to wash my hands and found that 10 mm wrench on the edge of the laundry tub. I must have been tired to bring it inside and leave it there and not remember doing it.

Trsnrtr 01-19-22 02:58 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22379779)
My bikes are cleaner and quieter than they ever have been.

In my case, it makes a huge difference to have unlimited access to a large shop will all the correct tools.

That was supposed to be one of my chores for today but instead, I got waylaid by dismantling my Kickr (belt inspection/tensioning), riding my Kickr, descaling my espresso machine (2 hours), book reading (Lincoln Highway), and lastly, now wasting my time on here.

genejockey 01-19-22 02:59 PM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22380020)
Sunday while I was cleaning up the garage from the engine work on the avalanche. I couldn't find the 10 mm wrench I used to put on the battery cable. It was the last thing I did before pushing it outside. I looked for 20 minutes before I finally said enough, It'll turn up. After I mopped the floor and put all the other tools and parts away I had still not located that wrench. I said screw it and went in to wash my hands and found that 10 mm wrench on the edge of the laundry tub. I must have been tired to bring it inside and leave it there and not remember doing it.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Trsnrtr 01-19-22 03:00 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22379863)
In any case, Sunday's ride confirmed that the saddle height and setback are correct, no matter how odd they may look.

:bday:

bampilot06 01-19-22 03:03 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22379994)
No. It's not.


my attempt to be nice.

ls01 01-19-22 03:09 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0291b673d8.jpg

here are the offending pieces of garbage that caused all my woes with the Avalanche. One is compressed, the other is supposed to be in one piece. Absolute garbage. To be honest I don't know how these dainty little things held up as long as they did. I am not nice to that truck.

Trsnrtr 01-19-22 03:15 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22379909)
One of my cycling friends works for Hammerhead which I learned has been bought by SRAM. I wonder if he can get us a “friends and family” discount on SRAM schwag. Hmmm….

I absolutely LOVE my K2. Honest to God, the ******g thing works like bike computers are supposed to.

ls01 01-19-22 03:19 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22379912)
Fresno is…… interesting.


Watching the weather as well. At first I was pissed because it looks like another week I won’t get to ride outside, but now I am just concerned that I won’t even be able to get home.

the forecast for Richmond keeps flip flopping on when the snow of going to start. I just hope the flights don’t all get canceled on Friday. If I get stuck in New York I am crashing at Phrantics.

given your occupation, perhaps a different word could be used here.

ls01 01-19-22 03:21 PM

I did my first zwift ride in 9 days last night. I set 8 achievements. Perhaps the way to get faster is to never ride?

datlas 01-19-22 03:24 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22380044)
I absolutely LOVE my K2. Honest to God, the ******g thing works like bike computers are supposed to.

I will let him know. He is one of their software guys. He has gone to ISN training camp to ensure all technical stuff works right. Seems like most of his coworkers are cyclists.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:04 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.