Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

slowtostart 02-24-13 10:09 AM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 15310717)
Raleighs paint quality ranged from supreme to barely adequate so don't sweat it. It's over 50 years old so there's little doubt it's has faded quite a bit. Just clean it well with a mild soap and water and use a fine polish like Meguiars or Mothers on it.

Overall, it looks to be in great shape, a keeper. Maybe a Brooks B66 be in order, the Cyclepro looks deformed. Raliegh had different colour charts for different models. Here's two of them, of course it's hard to tell what the original finish really looked like.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-x...40/raleigh.jpghttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--...art%2520cc.jpg

I was waiting for one of the experts to respond before offering my recent experience with red paint. My first attempts at cleaning and polishing my red Sports were very disappointing. I, more than once, threw in the towel. I will second the Meguiar's Sratch X followed by wax. Be gentle.

"Ruby" looked almost orange when she arrived. While still better looking at a distance, she cleaned up nicely for a 1956 model. That's her original seat, too.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/...pse898f9db.jpg

SirMike1983 02-24-13 10:22 AM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 15310717)
Raleighs paint quality ranged from supreme to barely adequate so don't sweat it. It's over 50 years old so there's little doubt it's has faded quite a bit. Just clean it well with a mild soap and water and use a fine polish like Meguiars or Mothers on it.

Overall, it looks to be in great shape, a keeper. Maybe a Brooks B66 be in order, the Cyclepro looks deformed. Raliegh had different colour charts for different models. Here's two of them, of course it's hard to tell what the original finish really looked like.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-x...40/raleigh.jpghttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--...art%2520cc.jpg



Nice find- I like the information on those color charts. I've found Raleigh paint often cleans up really well, and seem to have more durability than many other brands' paint.

noglider 02-24-13 11:10 AM

The Worcester blue makes my heart pound. I discovered it back in about 1978, and that's when I knew I had to own a Rudge one day. My Rudge is black, but that's OK.

I'm thinking of selling it, though.

clubman 02-24-13 12:26 PM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 15311041)
The Worcester blue makes my heart pound. I discovered it back in about 1978, and that's when I knew I had to own a Rudge one day. My Rudge is black, but that's OK.

I'm thinking of selling it, though.

The crimson paint on my 57 is super too but I think the bike was rarely exposed to the elements.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-m...adianclub6.jpghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-R...dianclub10.jpghttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-v...adianclub7.jpg

slowtostart 02-24-13 01:13 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 15311341)

My hub dated '56 appears to be the same color. A gold hued base layer exists over what seems to be a black undercoat. I know those layers only because of various wear patterns. The "crimson" seems to be opaquely translucent over the gold layer. I haven't seen another like her in this area. Lots of greens and root beer ones. Where are all the others?

I think mine was well used and it makes me appreciate her even more since we are of a similar age.

yellowbarber 02-24-13 01:54 PM


Originally Posted by rudypyatt (Post 15308780)
Anybody up for doing something similar here?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stu_col...ten/index.html

count me in!

btw, I just emailed the guy about the 2013 tincan 10. I usually go over every year to hang with my buds in Derbyshire, & Loughborough on the way from London (where my garbage bike is living)

PedalTraveler 02-24-13 02:35 PM

Just one of th most beautiful bikes I had seen!


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 15311341)


PalmettoUpstate 02-24-13 09:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by wahoonc (Post 15260037)
Both the pulley and the fulcrum sleeve were both steel prior to about 1963, around 1964 the pulleys became plastic the fulcrum sleeve followed by about 1965/66. FWIW I convert all of my bikes back to the steel for longevity and reduced maintenance.

Aaron :)

This post is in reference to posts 4057, 4064, 4068, 4069 & 4073.

Thanks to all who contributed!

[I have heard over and over on this thread and elsewhere that Raleigh "cheapened" their product after the mid 60's. I want to understand the areas that they cut corners so that I can make preventive maintenance repairs on our bikes as advisable. IMO, the plastic fulcrum sleeve seems the most ill-advised of the cost saving moves...]


Aaron I put the complete fulcrum clamp assembly from the 1964 Western Auto bike on my wife's '72 Raleigh Sports.

It appears that everything on the assembly was cheapened up after the mid 60's; maybe not the clamp itself - I can't tell if it is stainless steel on the '72 - the one from the '64 is for certain - but all of the other little bits are of lesser quality and utility for sure.

Here are close-up pics of the two units; note the deteriorated plastic fulcrum sleeve from the '72 Sports. Additionally, the special nut that had been used on earlier bikes was replaced with the serviceable, but run-of-the-mill nut and bolt as can be seen.

FIRST PIC: '64 unit is on the left
SECOND PIC: Close-up of '64 unit
THIRD PIC: Close-up of '72 unit
FOURTH PIC: '72 unit in front


http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=301235 http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=301236 http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=301237 http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=301238

CV-6 02-24-13 09:45 PM

Question for the cognoscenti. Prepping the Lenton Sport for a probable refinish. Paint is too far gone. Anyway, I noticed a small metal protuberance on the wheel side of the left fork tube about half way up. Would this be a locator pin for a a fork mount light bracket?

Mike from Iowa 02-24-13 10:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks clubman and others for the color responses. Looking at how there are almost no nicks or scrapes on the paint could it possibly be that it originally was CF 11 (orange) with CF10 (Crimson) box stripes?
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=301248

But I still don't have any clue as to the why the stripes on the top tube...
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=301249

Maybe I'll finally get the pictures right??

-Mike

CV-6 02-24-13 11:09 PM


Originally Posted by Mike from Iowa (Post 15313056)
Thanks clubman and others for the color responses. Looking at how there are almost no nicks or scrapes on the paint could it possibly be that it originally was CF 11 (orange) with CF10 (Crimson) box stripes?
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=301248

But I still don't have any clue as to the why the stripes on the top tube...
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=301249

Maybe I'll finally get the pictures right??

-Mike

I believe the stripes are where tape protected the original paint from fading. Looks like there is some tape residue.

clubman 02-24-13 11:25 PM


Originally Posted by CV-6 (Post 15312971)
Question for the cognoscenti. Prepping the Lenton Sport for a probable refinish. Paint is too far gone. Anyway, I noticed a small metal protuberance on the wheel side of the left fork tube about half way up. Would this be a locator pin for a a fork mount light bracket?

Bingo. I took a Terry bracket off of the right blade a 53 Rudge and found the same bump.

PalmettoUpstate 02-25-13 08:08 AM


Originally Posted by CV-6 (Post 15312971)
Question for the cognoscenti. Prepping the Lenton Sport for a probable refinish. Paint is too far gone. Anyway, I noticed a small metal protuberance on the wheel side of the left fork tube about half way up. Would this be a locator pin for a a fork mount light bracket?

Would you mind putting a direct link URL to that protuberance? BTW, nice pic for your avatar, definitely one of the greatest unsung heroes of baseball.... RIP, Stan.

clubman 02-25-13 10:41 AM

Here's the locating pin on my Rudge. A simple way to assure a positive engagement.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-z...0/DSC06161.JPGhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-p...0/DSC06163.JPGhttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-x...0/DSC06162.JPG

sailorbenjamin 02-25-13 06:06 PM


Originally Posted by Mike from Iowa (Post 15308604)
And why would there be RED box striping on the fenders and frame if the bike were originally dark red?

I've seen cases where the original gold box lining kept the base color from fading but eventually wore off leaving dark lines of the original color on the faded rest of the bike.

SirMike1983 02-25-13 06:22 PM


Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin (Post 15316501)
I've seen cases where the original gold box lining kept the base color from fading but eventually wore off leaving dark lines of the original color on the faded rest of the bike.

Yes- happens pretty often.

PalmettoUpstate 02-25-13 07:03 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 15314618)
Here's the locating pin on my Rudge. A simple way to assure a positive engagement.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-z...0/DSC06161.JPG

Got it; thanks!

noglider 02-26-13 07:09 AM

clubman, that Canadian is spectacular. The workmanship is top notch as well as the paint.

What is a locator pin? I better check my Rudge, because I don't know if mine has that.

Aren't those Rudge fork crowns one of the best fork crowns on any bike made?

clubman 02-26-13 07:46 AM

Tom, the locator is that small nub brazed on to the inside of the the Rudge fork blade. It tucks into the light bracket clamp but it's the only bike I've had with that feature. The Rudge fork crowns were definitely pretty slick back then.
Glad you like the Canadian. It does look nice in the sunshine!

noglider 02-26-13 08:38 AM

Oh, I get it, to stabilize the light bracket. Clever.

CV-6 02-26-13 09:54 AM


Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate (Post 15314072)
Would you mind putting a direct link URL to that protuberance? BTW, nice pic for your avatar, definitely one of the greatest unsung heroes of baseball.... RIP, Stan.


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 15314618)

clubman got it. Although mine is on the other blade, that is the non-drive side.

Mike from Iowa 02-26-13 01:04 PM

http://www.bikeforums.net/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin http://www.bikeforums.net/images/but...post-right.png
I've seen cases where the original gold box lining kept the base color from fading but eventually wore off leaving dark lines of the original color on the faded rest of the bike.



Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 15316557)
Yes- happens pretty often.


Thanks to both of you, that makes a lot of sense, I had a hard time picturing the Raleigh, even at the dawn of the mod '60's creating an orange bike with red stripes...

-Mike

PalmettoUpstate 02-26-13 06:23 PM


Originally Posted by CV-6 (Post 15318702)
clubman got it. Although mine is on the other blade, that is the non-drive side.

Yeah, I saw that. Thanks both; these little technical niggles are worth knowing.

BTW, seeing CV-6: I built a model of her back in the 60's when I was a kid...

My USMC pilot uncle flew an F4-U in the Pacific in WW2; later went on to fly 747's with Pan-Am outta LAX before he retired. Pensacola seems to have had an upgrade since I was there last, the Douglas Skystreak is painted now...

adventurepdx 03-01-13 01:16 AM

Just a reminder to anyone in the Portland area: The Three Speed Ride is THIS SUNDAY! More pertinent info, details, and updates here.
http://societyofthreespeeds.wordpres...3-last-update/

CV-6 03-02-13 04:14 PM


Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate (Post 15320656)
Yeah, I saw that. Thanks both; these little technical niggles are worth knowing.

BTW, seeing CV-6: I built a model of her back in the 60's when I was a kid...

My USMC pilot uncle flew an F4-U in the Pacific in WW2; later went on to fly 747's with Pan-Am outta LAX before he retired. Pensacola seems to have had an upgrade since I was there last, the Douglas Skystreak is painted now...

re: Skystreak. I am guessing you visited my flickr and saw the NAM photos. Those photos are about 10 years old, so no telling what things look like now.

And on a more relevant note. Went to my LBS (whose owner sold me the Lenton Sport) for some technical assistance. So what does he hand me...a nice shiny Raleigh fork light bracket. And I scored a correct steerer tube mount bracket today also.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:07 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.