Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic and Vintage Sales (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=274)
-   -   Cost of shipping, Peugeot mixte (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1232783)

bwilli88 06-15-21 05:00 PM

Cost of shipping, Peugeot mixte

Free frame, lots of rustina. Headset is good and the BB spins well.
Just pay shipping. I will try to get the crankset off, not sure how yet.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f9a377c506.jpg
Given away.

randyjawa 06-16-21 12:34 AM

Separate the fork from the frame and remove the crank and bottom bracket. Get a bike box and cut it down to just fit length, width and height to get the best shipping price. It takes a while to do this but the saving is dramatic as compared to leaving the fork attached.

bwilli88 06-16-21 01:25 AM

The fork easily comes off, not sure about the crank.

oneclick 06-16-21 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by bwilli88 (Post 22104160)
The fork easily comes off, not sure about the crank.

If it's been on since the factory it may be easier than the exterior would suggest; the pins would have been installed clean and correctly. Get appropriate tools (press if you can,hammer and punch and support otherwise) and have a go. For packing you only need to do the drive side,

thumpism 06-16-21 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by oneclick (Post 22104168)
For packing you only need to do the drive side,

Or just remove the chainrings.

cudak888 06-16-21 07:43 AM

Agreed - pull the chainrings.

If you don't have a cotter press or a C-clamp you can cut a slot into, pressing those rusty cotters out may be a bigger headache than you think.

-Kurt

bwilli88 06-17-21 11:26 AM

So nlerner is even saving on shipping, I am heading to the Boston area this weekend.

oneclick 06-17-21 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by bwilli88 (Post 22103717)
Free frame, lots of rustina.

That is a prime candidate for an oxalic acid bath.

I have done this so often recently I built a box, it's about 4 feet long, 7 inches wide, and 24 inches deep.
Single sheet of 1/4 ply each side, 1x8 for the bottom and ends, all screwed every 6 inches and braced along all the corners, and I made a removable brace to put across the middle when filling to keep the sides from bowing out too much.
Got a single sheet of 6 mil vapour barrier folded into the box to make a water-tight liner, fiddly folds they were.

I put about 8 inches of water in the box, put the frame in a BIG tough garbage bag in the box, put about a gallon of oxalic acid solution in the bag, keeping the top of the bag uppermost.
Then I put the brace on top, hang the frame in the bag from the brace, and fill the box with water.

This keeps the oxalic acid concentrated inside the bag, but allows it to contact the whole frame.
You need to be careful putting the frame in the bag not to puncture it, the whole point is it is a barrier keeping the acid and water apart.
For that frame I'd give it at least a day, think it will take more - but at the end, it'll be WHITE.

And afterwards, carefully lift out the bag and frame; if you can get the frame out without losing the acid, put it over a bucket and snip a bottom corner with scissors, save it for next time.

oneclick 06-17-21 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by bwilli88 (Post 22103717)
Free frame, lots of rustina.

That is a prime candidate for an oxalic acid bath.

I have done this so often recently I built a box, it's about 4 feet long, 7 inches wide, and 24 inches deep.
Single sheet of 1/4 ply each side, 1x8 for the bottom and ends, all screwed every 6 inches and braced along all the corners, and I made a removable brace to put across the middle when filling to keep the sides from bowing out too much.
Got a single sheet of 6 mil vapour barrier folded into the box to make a water-tight liner, fiddly folds they were.

I put about 8 inches of water in the box, put the frame in a BIG tough garbage bag in the box, put about a gallon of oxalic acid solution in the bag, keeping the top of the bag uppermost.
Then I put the brace on top, hang the frame in the bag from the brace, and fill the box with water.

This keeps the oxalic acid inside the bag, but makes sure it contacts the whole frame.
You need to be careful putting the frame in the bag not to puncture it, the whole point is it is a barrier keeping the acid and water apart.
For that frame I'd give it at least a day, think it will take more - but at the end, it'll be WHITE.

And afterwards, carefully lift out the bag and frame; if you can get the frame out without losing the acid, put it over a bucket and snip a bottom corner with scissors, save it for next time.

nlerner 06-17-21 03:29 PM

I’ve done the oxalic acid bath thing previously. I used half of a cardboard box, sized for the frame, and lined it with heavy duty plastic. A problem was what do to with that “tub” once the process was complete. It was too heavy to lift and dump in the sink; too low to siphon. I think this time I’ll use a smaller container and go one tube at a time or try the soaked paper towels wrapped in Saran method.

oneclick 06-17-21 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 22106602)
I’ve done the oxalic acid bath thing previously. I used half of a cardboard box, sized for the frame, and lined it with heavy duty plastic. A problem was what do to with that “tub” once the process was complete. It was too heavy to lift and dump in the sink; too low to siphon. I think this time I’ll use a smaller container and go one tube at a time or try the soaked paper towels wrapped in Saran method.

I put a two bits of 2x4 about 12 inches long across the ends of the bottom of my box, they made it just high enough to siphon, goes a bit slowly at the end.

It sounds as if your box had the frame lying flat. I did that the first time, built a frame about 8 inches high on a 4x8 sheet of ply - the frame just large enough to contain the bicycle frame plus an inch or so. I lined the thing the same way (was easier) and filled it as was with the acid. The I put bricks in between the frame tubes to take up space and make the acid level rise high enough to cover the bike frame. It worked, but now I have the vertical arrangement I like that much better. For a one-off a flat cardboard box tub (with bricks) sounds like a great simple solution.

Reynolds 531 06-18-21 06:08 PM

this:

Originally Posted by My Wife
Those are better ideas than my husband with the bathtub.

Senior Ryder 00 06-18-21 07:09 PM

Kiddie pool also works well. I’m fortunate & have a a sloping lot. One side has a raised section held back with a 3 foot retaining wall. I just put the kiddie pool up there. Makes siphoning easy.
Cheers,
Van

bwilli88 06-21-21 12:09 PM

Delivered today, good luck Neal.

jdawginsc 06-21-21 04:06 PM

It'll buff right out...

polymorphself 06-21-21 08:17 PM

Can’t wait for the build thread on this one.

nlerner 06-21-21 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by polymorphself (Post 22112168)
Can’t wait for the build thread on this one.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ab-thread.html