Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Tiagra 4400 3x9 shifters giving problems with Deore M592 rear derailleur (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244765)

jvt 01-06-22 06:32 PM

Tiagra 4400 3x9 shifters giving problems with Deore M592 rear derailleur

Hello All,

I have a Tiagra 3x9 road bike and I need some extra low gears. Research indicated the Shimano 9 speed MTB derailleurs should work properly, along with a 9 speed MTB cassette.

I have purchased and install and Alivio 12-36 9 speed cassette and Deore M592 derailleur. I also purchases some Jagwire in-line adjusters since the derailleur doesn’t have an indexing adjuster.

It works, kind of. I am having problems getting the shift in properly indexed. It appears that the derailleur has a wider range of travel than the cassette width, and that indexing is out. By this I mean that if I shift 7 spots I will end up
skipping at least one cog, and shifting across all 9 cogs. Typically, the what’s 2 and 3 or 7 and 8 will be the ones that skip.

I have put together a few bikes l, mainly 8 & 9 speed, and haven’t had too much trouble indexing them in the past, but I haven’t done a mechanical mullet build like this. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you,

JT

katsup 01-06-22 07:11 PM

I've personally have had trouble getting a shadow derailleurs (M592 and M772) to work properly with Sora 3500 shifters. What you describe sounds like what I was experiencing. I remember shifting up the cassette would skip a cog in the middle, yet I was able to shift down into the skipped cog. I put on a vintage M560 rear derailleur and that worked perfectly. I later replaced it with a 3500 derailleur to match the rest of the group.

I read somewhere that there is a minor difference with the newer shifters (not sure if 4400 is apart of that) and shadow derailleurs.

jvt 01-06-22 07:41 PM

Thanks for the heads up. The 4400 shouldn’t have an issue - people have reported good results - but I might try an older derailleur. The M592 has a max cog size of 36 teeth, while the older ones have 34, so not a huge difference. But I’m getting older and want to protect my knees and ankles, so will take any edge I can get!

KCT1986 01-06-22 07:44 PM

Is the cable attached on the correct side of the RD cable anchor bolt? Should be in the groove side.

70sSanO 01-06-22 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by jvt (Post 22364507)
Thanks for the heads up. The 4400 shouldn’t have an issue - people have reported good results - but I might try an older derailleur. The M592 has a max cog size of 36 teeth, while the older ones have 34, so not a huge difference. But I’m getting older and want to protect my knees and ankles, so will take any edge I can get!

You can probably run the older 34t max cog rated RD with a 36t. You might need a slightly longer B screw, but maybe not.

John

jvt 01-06-22 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 70sSanO (Post 22364544)
You can probably run the older 34t max cog rated RD with a 36t. You might need a slightly longer B screw, but maybe not.

John

I have an M531 (I think) on another bike that I might try. It’s currently running a 36 tooth cassette so should be fine.

Bingod 01-07-22 11:01 AM

I have posted about similar shifting issues with 3503 levers, 12-36 cassette and M772 RD. I was eventually able to make it work, but only after many many many attempts. Just when i thought i had it right ( or good enough) it would act up again. Next the chain started to jump down the cassette under load and I duly replaced the chain, the cassette (which looked good) and finally the cables and housing, which were also in good shape. no improvement just more frustration. I finally replaced the lever, which I guessed (correctly) had lost its ability to hold the spring tension of the RD and so maintain the indexing, with a new R 3030 lever and since then everything has worked flawlessly for 6 months. Good job this 9 speed stuff is cheap. Some things to consider, is your rear wheel positioned correctly the drop outs? I bought new XT QR skewers to keep things in place. Also painstakingly adjusting the limit screws was helpful Good luck.

jvt 01-08-22 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bingod (Post 22365051)
I have posted about similar shifting issues with 3503 levers, 12-36 cassette and M772 RD. I was eventually able to make it work, but only after many many many attempts. Just when i thought i had it right ( or good enough) it would act up again. Next the chain started to jump down the cassette under load and I duly replaced the chain, the cassette (which looked good) and finally the cables and housing, which were also in good shape. no improvement just more frustration. I finally replaced the lever, which I guessed (correctly) had lost its ability to hold the spring tension of the RD and so maintain the indexing, with a new R 3030 lever and since then everything has worked flawlessly for 6 months. Good job this 9 speed stuff is cheap. Some things to consider, is your rear wheel positioned correctly the drop outs? I bought new XT QR skewers to keep things in place. Also painstakingly adjusting the limit screws was helpful Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback. I went out for some hill rides today on this bike, and it seemed to settle down. Shifting was pretty good. I’m wondering if I need to have some load in the drivetrain to run things in. Will keep an eye on it over the next week and see. A couple of shifts were not so good, but otherwise everything seemed fine.

I might replace the QR skewers with solid axels as I don’t like QR that much, and have replaced them on all of my other bikes except a folding bike I take in planes.

the lever indexing seems fine. I haven’t noticed any problems with it. I will need to adjust everything as the cables and chain run in anyway, so no rush.

jvt 02-13-22 04:39 PM

A big thank you and a quick update for you all. Careful tweaking of the limit screws and the indexing has resulted in pretty good shifiting. I think that hte cables have stretched a little, and everythign has bedded down. It's been pretty reliable for the last two weeks, and shifts are generally pretty good. Thank you for the help.