Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   No gear markings on SRAM Eagle 12 speed shifter? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1253846)

Harhir 06-22-22 12:05 PM

Guys thanks for the feedback. I did not want to start a philosophical discussion here. All valid points brought up. I am going to use a simple approach and just use some paint or markers on my shifter. I really only want a visual gear indicator to make sure I am getting down to a good gear to start before I have to come to a stop. And there are plenty of them on my ride to work.

livedarklions 06-22-22 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 22550475)
No, he is not. It is everyone else who is over complicating this.

The OP wants a gear indicator. Some people like them. Pretty simple.

And rather than giving him useful suggestions, everyone is instead telling him he should not be wanting one.

I love the people who keep saying you should be able to feel what gear you're in. Have they never encountered a headwind?

genejockey 06-22-22 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Harhir (Post 22550572)
Guys thanks for the feedback. I did not want to start a philosophical discussion here.

Too late!

genejockey 06-22-22 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22550577)
I love the people who keep saying you should be able to feel what gear you're in. Have they never encountered a headwind?

Well, "What gear you're in" may mean simply how hard that gear is in the context of the gradient and the direction and speed of the wind. I rarely know without looking which cog I'm in, and sometimes I don't even know which chainring - sometimes I'm surprised to find myself trying to sprint in the small ring or climb in the big. Of course, this only happens on the bikes with 10 or 11 speeds in back.

I don't have a preferred gear for any particular situation. As I'm slowing down to a stop, I change gears so I'm in a gear that feels like what I'll need to start. Back when I was trying to get my kids into cycling, they had Grip Shift with numbers, and they'd ask me what number they should be in, which was impossible to answer, of course, since I wasn't riding their bike.

79pmooney 06-22-22 01:40 PM

A thought - maybe we need gear indicators that work like CX bar-top levers when not in use. Say at the inboard end of our handlebar tape. Have a band that clamps round the HB with two cable housing stops. In between, an indicator clamped on to the cable corresponding to the gear. Done right, it could be small, barely noticeable, near friction free, simple and reliable.

I won't invent this. I'm still riding those easy to see DTs but those who feel the need should don their thinking caps.

Edit: I too was one who thought (and almost commented) "why no just look down?". Glad I didn't. (Now, a mirror could be set up in the right place to make that look easier, but I wouldn't. But I might scrounge the closet for that magic cap.)

79pmooney 06-22-22 01:48 PM

This is bike forums. When somebody asks "how do I do this?" the standard answer is "you're wrong for wanting or needing to".

livedarklions 06-22-22 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 22550687)
This is bike forums. When somebody asks "how do I do this?" the standard answer is "you're wrong for wanting or needing to".

I propose Lycrasplaining as the term for "real cyclists don't..." type of correction.

How about Schwinnsplaining for the reverse snob "it's all market hype for suckers" kind of correction?

livedarklions 06-22-22 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Harhir (Post 22550572)
Guys thanks for the feedback. I did not want to start a philosophical discussion here. All valid points brought up. I am going to use a simple approach and just use some paint or markers on my shifter. I really only want a visual gear indicator to make sure I am getting down to a good gear to start before I have to come to a stop. And there are plenty of them on my ride to work.

Enjoy! Now's the part of the thread where we goof on the people who went after you.

indyfabz 06-22-22 02:31 PM

Lower the blast shield as use the force.

Harhir 06-22-22 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22550731)
Enjoy! Now's the part of the thread where we goof on the people who went after you.

I'll get the popcorn. :popcorn

Paul Barnard 06-22-22 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Harhir (Post 22550292)
It is not just 1-2 cogs. Going from start to 15 mph I guess I am going through 5-6 or more gears. Same the other way. Since I ride a recumbent it makes a big difference if I am starting on 2nd or 4th cog since I cannot use my body weight by standing up. Therefore it is important for me to know if I need to downshift 8, 5 or just 2 gears. Plus being on a recumbent I am constantly shifting up and down to get a similar spinning frequency in every gear. So I really don't know know what gear I am currently in without looking at my shifter. I may get used to it but for now I will mark my shifter. At least for the lower gears. It is my first bike in over 40 years which does not have gear shifters with markings on it.

This is obviously the sort of issue that demands managers be talked to.

Rolla 06-22-22 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by 70sSanO (Post 22550341)
it is most likely that SRAM believes that real cyclists don't need them and they want to differentiate their high end products from those SRAM grip shift type products sold on low end bikes.

That is most likely why SRAM leaves off a seemingly innocuous feature that few cyclists will use. It is almost SRAM's way of saying, "We know you are going to take abuse by just using these, so we are going to try to make them look more "pro" and keep them blank.

Wow. Out of thin air, you've somehow identified Sram's "most likely" reasoning, and presented it as though they actually thought it and said it. You have amazing powers of conjecture.

Kapusta 06-23-22 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 22551249)
Wow. Out of thin air, you've somehow identified Sram's "most likely" reasoning, and presented it as though they actually thought it and said it. You have amazing powers of conjecture.

I think he basically got it right.

They chose not to include something that some people might want that would pose zero downside and (for all practical purposes) no extra expense.

Really, the only explanation that makes a lick of sense to me is that they thought the cool kids would make fun of them.

prj71 06-23-22 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22550418)
If you're at a standstill, it is literally impossible to know by feel what gear you are in.

If you are at a standstill...you aren't shifting gears.

prj71 06-23-22 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22550446)
How do you know you're in a good gear combination if you can't match that feeling in your legs and lungs with changes in your speed?

How could you not know unless your legs and lungs are numb? If I want a lower gear, I shift down. If I want a higher gear, I shift up. If I can't shift either direction, then I know I'm in my lowest or highest gear. I don't need a visual indicator to explain the obvious to me.

When I'm on a MTB trail there is no time to check the chosen gear (risk of crashing) and it is mostly irrelevant to have the gear displayed. There is only one chainring so just shift the gears for the given riding conditions...by feeling

When I'm on a road bike there is no time to check gears either cruising along at 18-22 mph. Again...it's easy to feel if you are in the right gear.

prj71 06-23-22 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 22550475)
...everyone is instead telling him he should not be wanting one.

That would be a correct statement.

prj71 06-23-22 08:04 AM

Have they never encountered a headwind?

Numerous times. 20 mph headwinds on my 51 mile ride this past Tuesday. Guess what...It felt hard to pedal...So I switched to an easier gear so I wouldn't blow up my legs and lungs for the remaining 25 miles home into the wind.. Pretty darn simple.

70sSanO 06-23-22 08:13 AM

But then there is Di2. If someone is so inclined to go to Shimano’s electronic shifting system, you can add a digital display that prominently shows the gear.

I know Di2 is UCI compliant, although the digital display may not be, but it is somewhat ironic.

But there is some sense to it. The mechanical gear indicators are a bit funky, especially the inline ones. But with electronics it is not an issue; even if it is merely an unneeded convenience for some.

Maybe someday we can remove our feelings from the sport and just ride.

John

prj71 06-23-22 08:14 AM

Apparently this was covered here 7 years ago. The overall consensus back then (like now) is by feel.

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...-shifters.html

koala logs 06-23-22 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by smd4 (Post 22549905)
If I’m unclear for some reason, I can just glance at my cassette.

NOT a safe thing to do.

By the time you put your eyes back to the road, your front wheel is about to roll into a giant pothole or there's big truck stopped right in front of you and it's too late to evade.

You don't really need to know what gear you're on if your drivetrain is shifting through the whole range including cross-chaining without any problems. Especially on 1x. Shift as you need. Downshift at least two gears when coming to a stop but that will depend on the gapping of your cogs and the size of your cassette. On a tight range cassette, you'll have to downshift a lot more.

Kapusta 06-23-22 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by 70sSanO (Post 22551497)
The mechanical gear indicators are a bit funky, especially the inline ones.

For gripshift, nothing could be simpler. Its just paint.

Kapusta 06-23-22 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by prj71 (Post 22551499)
Apparently this was covered here 7 years ago. The overall consensus back then (like now) is by feel.

Consensus is utterly irrelevant, here.

70sSanO 06-23-22 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 22551526)
For gripshift, nothing could be simpler. Its just paint.

Agree.

John

cxwrench 06-23-22 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by koala logs (Post 22551511)
NOT a safe thing to do.

By the time you put your eyes back to the road, your front wheel is about to roll into a giant pothole or there's big truck stopped right in front of you and it's too late to evade.

You don't really need to know what gear you're on if your drivetrain is shifting through the whole range including cross-chaining without any problems. Especially on 1x. Shift as you need. Downshift at least two gears when coming to a stop but that will depend on the gapping of your cogs and the size of your cassette. On a tight range cassette, you'll have to downshift a lot more.

You have got to be kidding. Your assumption is that the rider will not look in front of them and make sure the distance covered while looking down at their cassette, which takes about 1 second, isn't occupied by a giant pothole and/or big truck.

livedarklions 06-23-22 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by prj71 (Post 22551499)

Here's where you all go off the beam. I don't use them, but I don't think I or anyone else is qualified to tell someone who finds them useful that they shouldn't. Why should any individual rider care about the consensus of people who aren't on the bike with him?