Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Question about Leg Shaving (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1234725)

Paul_Smit 07-14-21 07:05 PM

Question about Leg Shaving

Hello Fellas

This is Paul from LA, just recently joined this group and already facing my biggest challenge so far.

About leg shaving, what y'alls opinions.

I've heard that shaving makes you go faster, but i do believe the effects minimized.

My initial's pros are doing it and looking nice and so on

On the other hand im worried about associated problems like ingrow hairs

Please help me decide

Many thanks

GlennR 07-14-21 07:09 PM

I thought the Pros shave so when they crash it's easier to clean the dirt and gravel out of the wound.

If you want to go faster... ride more.

Metieval 07-14-21 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_Smit (Post 22141869)
Hello Fellas

This is Paul from LA, just recently joined this group and already facing my biggest challenge so far.

I've heard that shaving makes you go faster, but i do believe the effects minimized.

Please help me decide

Many thanks

In my opinion leg hair is as annoying as club fit jerseys flapping in the wind.
With that said , I never shaved. Chain maintenance is enough. I wasn't about to start leg maintenance also.
My opinion is do what works for you if you do decide to shave, I doubt you get very many tips n tricks about how in the general section of bikeforums.
I've also sold my road bike, picked up another MTB, and omg looking to invest in 650b road wheelset on gravel bike. Speed was fun, supple plush, site seeing is my new game for pedaling now days.

Koyote 07-14-21 07:23 PM

I've never found any practical reason for amateur cyclists to shave their legs.

Trevtassie 07-14-21 07:24 PM

Shaving is for crashing, makes it easier when they're wire brushing the gravel rash and stops hairs being pulled out by the road surface.

terrymorse 07-14-21 08:15 PM

Shaved legs are more aero, which doesn't matter to most riders.

I shave during the summer months to make applying and removing sunscreen easier. Also, a shaved leg tends to collect less road grime.

spelger 07-14-21 08:21 PM

Didn't know the term "y'alls" was an LA thing. Recent transplant?

welcome to BF.

Koyote 07-14-21 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by spelger (Post 22141969)
Didn't know the term "y'alls" was an LA thing. Recent transplant?

welcome to BF.

"y'alls" is not a thing anywhere. "Y'all" is plural, so adding an 's' at the end is incorrect, unless you insert an apostrophe to indicate the possessive. ("Y'all's")

pgjackson 07-14-21 08:47 PM

It's stupid. Don't do it. There is no reason to do it despite what some people here say. Never had a problem applying sunscreen to my hairy legs, or got overly dirty on a ride...and it certainly didn't add one second to any ride. It's nonsense.

kingston 07-14-21 08:52 PM

Use an epilator. It hurts more.

caloso 07-14-21 09:12 PM

For me it’s worth it just for the easier application of sunscreen and embrocation. Plus it looks better.

ChamoisDavisJr 07-14-21 09:39 PM

It makes your legs look great, provided you’re fit and have muscle to show.

And there’s this;

Small sample size Wind Tunnel testing shows that shaving your legs save a LARGE amount of time.

I do it cause it looks good.

RChung 07-14-21 10:12 PM

Word to the wise: Keep this review for Veet in mind: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...R2QP56S5P2DEGA

wolfchild 07-15-21 02:46 AM

You don't need to shave your legs to be a cyclist

Lazyass 07-15-21 04:25 AM

The excuse I give myself is that on the inside of my calves I have a small patch where hair doesn't grow so it looks better just all shaved off. That's what I tell my family :lol:

BikingViking793 07-15-21 04:30 AM

I wouldn’t.

seypat 07-15-21 04:40 AM

Using Nads Hair Removal is the way to go. You can brag about how much suffering you go through as a roadie. You might be able to Strava the activity as well. Win win.

GhostRider62 07-15-21 05:08 AM

I only shave when I feel my fitness warrants it.

The question is whether you want the free 0.015-0.02 m^2 lower drag and are you willing to shave once per week? This about the same as going from a loose jersey to an aero jersey, not hard to measure and quantify.

Wax strips work well for the initial mauling but they are expensive. I used barber shears to get them to a nub and then shave with cream and a razor.

I think there is also a vanity aspect, you showing off the muscles and vein type thing. Massage is definitely easier with shaved legs.

indyfabz 07-15-21 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by pgjackson (Post 22142008)
It's stupid. Don't do it. There is no reason to do it despite what some people here say. Never had a problem applying sunscreen to my hairy legs, or got overly dirty on a ride...and it certainly didn't add one second to any ride. It's nonsense.

So no one else must ever get overly dirty because you haven’t. Got it. I’ll stop shaving even though I tour and sometimes don’t have the opportunity to shower at the end of the day.

BlazingPedals 07-15-21 05:21 AM

I break out the clippers a couple times a season, otherwise I'd look like Sasquatch. But shave 'em? Haven't in years.

GhostRider62 07-15-21 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22142246)
So no one else must ever get overly dirty because you haven’t. Got it. I’ll stop shaving even though I tour and sometimes don’t have the opportunity to shower at the end of the day.

That is really a good point. If doing high mileage tours and not sleeping in hotels, cleaning grimy legs is much easier when shaved.

livedarklions 07-15-21 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22142246)

Geez, defensive much? He didn't think of the exceptional csse, so what?

OP specifically mentioned going faster as the reason, think that's a pretty good indication they're not talking about touring of any kind, let alone a situation where they are going to not shower for days.

And tbh, I wouldn't shave even under those circumstances because my legs aren't hairy enough for that to be a factor in getting my legs dirty. If they were going to be dirty hairy they'd also be dirty shaved.

pgjackson 07-15-21 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_Smit (Post 22141869)
Hello Fellas

Please help me decide

Many thanks

No, it won't make you go any faster. No, it won't make your legs look nicer (is that a thing guys are really concerned about?) Seems like recreational cyclists who shave their legs just want to shave their legs and cycling sort of gives them a reason.

PeteHski 07-15-21 05:42 AM

I might give them a quick going over with the clippers once in a while, but I stop short at shaving. But I do think it looks more pro having shaved legs. Just can't be bothered myself. If I was doing serious TTs I probably would for the marginal aero gain (and to look pro, lol)

Koyote 07-15-21 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by ChamoisDavisJr (Post 22142072)
It makes your legs look great, provided you’re fit and have muscle to show.

And there’s this;

https://youtu.be/DZnrE17Jg3I

Small sample size Wind Tunnel testing shows that shaving your legs save a LARGE amount of time.

I do it cause it looks good.

Damn. I grew a beard so that I could quit shaving… Now you’re showing me this?