Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Haircut (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1119955)

RunForTheHills 08-26-17 10:45 PM

Haircut

So, for the last couple of months I have been sporting a buzz cut (#3 on top and 2 on the sides). I did it for a number of reasons, but primarily because my hair is starting to get very thin on top. As a side benefit, I no longer have to worry about helmet hair on my commute to work. Prior to getting this haircut, I had started to wonder if wearing a helmet was worth the hassle.

acidfast7 08-27-17 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by RunForTheHills (Post 19820601)
So, for the last couple of months I have been sporting a buzz cut (#3 on top and 2 on the sides). I did it for a number of reasons, but primarily because my hair is starting to get very thin on top. As a side benefit, I no longer have to worry about helmet hair on my commute to work. Prior to getting this haircut, I had started to wonder if wearing a helmet was worth the hassle.

I shave my enter head down to 00 (no spacer), then I let the beard grow.

I don't wear a helmet as all of the streets are 20mph max and just wear cool glasses/sunglasses and a scarf.

Stormsedge 08-27-17 04:45 AM

I use the same formula I used when I rode a motorcycle. 15mph+any kind of over the handlebar crash=potential for landing on or hitting my head on something at ~15mph from 6 feet in the air. 20mph is +5. Check local laws and do what you want, but I recommend a helmet.

Oh, this is about haircuts? Helmet hair not a problem. 1 or 2 on sides, knuckle high scissor cut on top. Some version of short or flattop for ~35 years.

BobbyG 08-27-17 08:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
#2 on the sides. #1/2 on bottom. #0 on top.

noglider 08-28-17 12:00 PM

I have a really nice professional grade electric trimmer, but it has needed repairs for a long time, so I've built up skill with using barber scissors on myself. It's kind of a meditative practice for me, because with a mirror or two, it's a tricky thing to do.

RubeRad 08-28-17 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by RunForTheHills (Post 19820601)
So, for the last couple of months I have been sporting a buzz cut (#3 on top and 2 on the sides).

That's exactly my cut for the last few years. I gave up on hair, and I'm glad I'll never need a comb for the rest of my life. I'm able to do a pretty good #3 all around, and then my wife can finish off the #2 back/sides, fading it in cleanly and cleaning up the neck. #1 for goatee. I try to weedwhack at/near the first of every month, but sometimes I go two, and I get helmet hair pretty bad. Looks like I'm trying out corn rows.

noglider 08-28-17 01:02 PM

Some of us still need to comb or brush our scalps and faces even when there is no hair.

rhm 08-28-17 01:08 PM

Such difficult decisions, we face.

RubeRad 08-28-17 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 19823933)
Some of us still need to comb or brush our scalps and faces even when there is no hair.

?? Why?

noglider 08-28-17 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by RubeRad (Post 19824375)
?? Why?

Combing or brushing reduces dandruff and itching. I think it depends on skin type.

RubeRad 08-28-17 04:41 PM

Oh. I just do that with scratching.

Viich 08-28-17 07:06 PM

That's been my haircut for the last 20 years, except for the short period of time I switched to 2x4.

RunForTheHills 08-28-17 10:15 PM

The first two short haircuts I went to a hair salon, then I bought a set of clippers. Cutting it myself wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Cyclist0108 08-28-17 10:28 PM

I got some clippers at Cross Dress for Less for $10 and have been cutting my hair with that ever since. It doesn't look any worse than what the barber does. Immediately prior to that, I went to a cheap place in town to get my hair cut there, and I had some woman who I think was a meth head crying about her boyfriend going to prison and she nicked me with the scissors. The haircut looked terrible, too. Someone told me Neil Young goes there to get his hair cut. I can almost believe it, given how terrible his tend to look.

Mark Stone 08-29-17 12:26 AM

#8 on the top, #1 on the sides. Helmet hair attracts gurls.

Darth Lefty 08-29-17 12:28 AM

I put off haircuts for months after it's apparent I need one

BobbyG 08-29-17 06:22 AM

A few years ago I made a year's worth of visits to one of those "fancy" barbershops where a woman uses a straight razor. The first trip was "meh". The next few visits I had a different woman...a true artist. There are few things as wonderful as having the barber offer to fetch a beer from the brewery next door and then fussing over what hair you have left on top, followed by hot towels and a careful straight razor shave on your face, neck and head, all the while listening to music from your high school days, followed by lotions and powders.

Unfortunately, it became too expensive to do on a regular basis. But after racking up some poor experiences at more affordable family hair salons, I am thinking of returning. "An IPA, trim and a shave, please!"

Skipjacks 08-29-17 07:02 AM

Give up the number 2 and 3 shavers.

Bald is beautiful!

Captain Jean Luc Picard fought the whole Romulan Star Empire with no hair! Then he fought off all the bad guy mutants with his left over time!

Kojak put murders in jail without a single hair on his head!

Mr Clean...heck that guy will clean your whole home!

The Rock wouldn't look nearly as menacing with a full head of hair. Look here...he looks rediculous.
http://img.wennermedia.com/social/rs...029cbe1007.jpg

But shave that head and you won't mess with this guy...
http://shop.wwe.com/on/demandware.st...08_theRock.png

I did the 'high and tight' haircut when I was in the Marines. Eventually there was only enough left for the high...but no the tight...so eventually you have to just accept it, shave it, and own it!

Power to the baldies!!! Hair is for the weak!!!

As for biking bald...I do recommend a helmet liner. Otherwise you get lines in your head where your helmet sits...and you can also get weird sunburns in the exact pattern of the openings in the top of your helmet. That is not a good look on anyone.

bargeon 08-29-17 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Skipjacks (Post 19825500)

. . .
As for biking bald...I do recommend a helmet liner. Otherwise you get lines in your head where your helmet sits...and you can also get weird sunburns in the exact pattern of the openings in the top of your helmet. That is not a good look on anyone.

Yeah, I look like a Klingon when I take my helmet off after a long summer ride.

texaspandj 08-29-17 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Skipjacks (Post 19825500)

Bald is beautiful!

Captain Jean Luc Picard fought the whole Romulan Star Empire with no hair! Then he fought off all the bad guy mutants with his left over time!

Kojak put murders in jail without a single hair on his head!

Mr Clean...heck that guy will clean your whole home!

The Rock wouldn't look nearly as menacing with a full head of hair. Look here...he looks rediculous.
http://img.wennermedia.com/social/rs...029cbe1007.jpg

But shave that head and you won't mess with this guy...
http://shop.wwe.com/on/demandware.st...08_theRock.png

I did the 'high and tight' haircut when I was in the Marines. Eventually there was only enough left for the high...but no the tight...so eventually you have to just accept it, shave it, and own it!

Power to the baldies!!! Hair is for the weak!!!

Spoken like someone who has no choice but to be bald.
I'm getting there, I'm getting there.

Stormsedge 08-29-17 07:53 AM

Bald may be beautiful, but I have a permanent lump on my head, so more like rocky terrain. May have been an early learning experience. I guess I could get it tattooed to look like a desert island, but that would cost more than clippers/haircuts. LOL.

Skipjacks 08-29-17 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by texaspandj (Post 19825591)
Spoken like someone who has no choice but to be bald.
I'm getting there, I'm getting there.

I have a choice.

I could wear a toupe. I could do a comb over. I could wear hats all the time and deny it.

I'm bald because I choose to be bald! (If you keep saying it...you start to believe it!!! :thumb: )

Seriously though..it takes 5 seconds to wash it in the shower and a single once over with a towel to dry.

When I commute to work and my head is sweaty I just towel it off once, and I'm dry. If it's a particularly bad sweaty day I can go to the bathroom and wash my bald head with soap and water in 5 seconds in the sink. That sweat smell doesn't linger in my hair.

Everything about bald makes life easier. I wouldn't trade it for a full head of thick hair if you paid me! (Again...the more you say it. The more you believe it! :innocent: )

Amitoj 08-29-17 07:57 AM

My barber recommended a wax based pomade that I put on at the start of the week and it lasts almost through the week.
All I do after getting out of the shower is to just comb the hair back in place, including the side part.

Skipjacks 08-29-17 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by bargeon (Post 19825549)
Yeah, I look like a Klingon when I take my helmet off after a long summer ride.

In all seriousness, I find a sweat wicking helmet liner to be a GREAT purchase. They cost like $10 - $20. They absorb the sweat so it doesn't drip down out of the helmet, then as long as your helmet has good airflow the liner dries quickly. That keeps you feeling dry and it does a great job of keeping you cool. (This can cause faster dehydration though so stay hydrated)

I don't see them in bike shops much. I see liners but they tend to be just material to keep the helmet from chaffing. Real sweat wicking head covers are better. Under Armour makes them, so do a thousand other companies. Check the football section of your local sporting goods store as they are common for football players.

texaspandj 08-29-17 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Skipjacks (Post 19825631)
I have a choice.

I could wear a toupe. I could do a comb over. I could wear hats all the time and deny it.

I'm bald because I choose to be bald! (If you keep saying it...you start to believe it!!! :thumb: )

Seriously though..it takes 5 seconds to wash it in the shower and a single once over with a towel to dry.

When I commute to work and my head is sweaty I just towel it off once, and I'm dry. If it's a particularly bad sweaty day I can go to the bathroom and wash my bald head with soap and water in 5 seconds in the sink. That sweat smell doesn't linger in my hair.

Everything about bald makes life easier. I wouldn't trade it for a full head of thick hair if you paid me! (Again...the more you say it. The more you believe it! :innocent: )

One more thing to add to your arsenal of reasons, research found women find bald men Sexier. Who knew.