Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

abshipp 04-21-20 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21430855)
12 years full of good days still don't prepare us for this day. Yesterday sucked.

So sorry to hear :(

:hug:

MoAlpha 04-21-20 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21430947)
You're a doctor, for christ's sake! You've opened cadavers! It was a lot more stirring in the flesh, I can tell you that. Something I will never unsee

Dead bodies never bothered me all that much except for the smell and surgery is no problem at all. Trauma always shakes me up.

BillyD 04-21-20 09:24 AM

Terribly, terribly sorry, Lloyd. LAJ

Velo Vol 04-21-20 09:31 AM

12 years full of good days still don't prepare us for this day. Yesterday sucked.

Oh no. Losing a pet is the worst. Literally. :hug:

Velo Vol 04-21-20 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21430939)
They are limited to a 2 km radius of home by decree, otherwise.

How is this enforceable? Also, if in a city, how does it even help?

BillyD 04-21-20 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21430947)
You're a doctor, for christ's sake! You've opened cadavers! It was a lot more stirring in the flesh, I can tell you that. Something I will never unsee

Not on the same scale, but it reminds me of the time I crawled out of a car wreck, felt some numbness in my knee, looked down and could see my kneecap. Took a while to get over that sight.

There were some incredible, life-changing blessings that came out of that incident, but that's another story.

MoAlpha 04-21-20 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21431015)
How is this enforceable? Also, if in a city, how does it even help?

The Garda will stop you, ask for ID with address, and cite you if you're outside the 2 km radius without a good reason. No idea if or how it helps.

One of my postdocs is at home in Italy at the moment. She has to carry a special authorization to go anywhere.

Velo Vol 04-21-20 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21431023)
No idea if or how it helps.

Unless they've somehow managed to keep the virus within certain ZIP codes, and out of others, I don't follow the logic. 2km is only a few minutes walk.

Jadesfire 04-21-20 09:48 AM

Oh, no. I'm so sorry.

seedsbelize 04-21-20 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21430954)
Makes me want to break out in that kids' song, remember??

Where is pointer? Where is pointer? Here I am! Here I am!

Heal up!

Thankfully I don't know that song

datlas 04-21-20 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21431065)

Here is a sample.....starts out with "where is thumbkin....." pointer is second verse.

berner 04-21-20 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21430152)
Lady Borton lived in Athens County, Ohio, where I also lived. When she sold her farm, to her long time renter, she sold it for what she'd paid for it, 35 years earlier. Wouldn't take a penny more

She also worked in Asia and Vietnam with a group providing prosthetics for those who lost limbs. She spent so much time there she spoke Vietnamese was recognized and respected everywhere, North or South.

Trsnrtr 04-21-20 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21430881)

Same. :(

BillyD 04-21-20 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21431065)

Same here. :roflmao2:

berner 04-21-20 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21429914)
The hardest thing for me to witness have been two of my most ardently religious friends have been the most vocal about advocating ďopeningĒ the country for business again ASAP. Of course that position is politically motivated at its core but itís hard to see the hypocrisy of it.

People of real faith who do the right thing regardless of politics have my deepest respect. But I donít seem to come across too many of the truly faithful.

I am amazed that that people who claim to be religious can behave completely the opposite. Most here will remember a man claimed to believe in the right to lifel, shot and killed a doctor in front of an abortion clinic. Somehow thought processes can fall into a groove, (trench) from which they are unable to extricate themselves. This sort of disconnect seems to me to be as bad as insanity.

Bah Humbug 04-21-20 10:30 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d773697b9c.jpg

Poor puppy, and poor you.

LAJ 04-21-20 10:31 AM

Thank you all so very much. This sadness is really such a small price to pay for the absolute and pure joy they bring to us. We're fortunate that something, somehow, made it possible for them to be a part of our being.

abshipp 04-21-20 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21431135)
Thank you all so very much. This sadness is really such a small price to pay for the absolute and pure joy they bring to us. We're fortunate that something, somehow, made it possible for them to be a part of our being.

And puppy was so fortunate to be in your family full of love and care.

All living things are thrust into the world whether they want to be there or not, and it's not very easy for the vast majority of them. But for some of the really lucky ones, they get to experience their time on earth as a pet in a loving home. IMO the absolute best possible existence.

WhyFi 04-21-20 11:03 AM

My new Lezyne minipump arrived. I decided that it would probably be best to try it out before it's needed on the side of the road, so I deflated one tire and started pumping it up with the Lezyne. I got up to about 50psi before I'd decided that enough was enough. Yup - it's a minipump. Yup - it sucks, but it'll get the job done. I hope that I never have to use it.

Velo Vol 04-21-20 11:08 AM

datlas :bday:

indyfabz 04-21-20 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21431155)

All living things are thrust into the world whether they want to be there or not, and it's not very easy for the vast majority of them. But for some of the really lucky ones, they get to experience their time on earth as a pet in a loving home. IMO the absolute best possible existence.

So true. Iím on my second rescue kitty. Had the first one for 7 years after he was plucked from the street near death, fixed up and put up for adoption. He was a tough case because he had the kitty AIDS virus, but he found a loving home until his end. I think about him every day.

ericy 04-21-20 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21430828)
I'm sure that being out of the house and wanting to linger is a part of it, for some, but I think that another big factor is that a lot of people that didn't didn't cook much are now cooking (or trying) a lot more. I see so many more people with that lost look on their faces every time I go.

I am fortunate in the sense that my wife is a really good cook, and enjoys doing it as long as she gets a break once in a while. It sometimes surprises me to see the things that other people find to be edible (even in restaurants). The downside becomes apparent when I try and button my pants.

We have friends who are snowbirds in Florida. They offer to cook for neighbors (who don't cook at all), but the neighbors decline and just want to go out - mainly because if they were to accept, then they would feel obligated to reciprocate.

ls01 04-21-20 11:38 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d773697b9c.jpg

My sympathies LAJ and family

WhyFi 04-21-20 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ericy (Post 21431255)
I am fortunate in the sense that my wife is a really good cook, and enjoys doing it as long as she gets a break once in a while. It sometimes surprises me to see the things that other people find to be edible (even in restaurants). The downside becomes apparent when I try and button my pants.

We have friends who are snowbirds in Florida. They offer to cook for neighbors (who don't cook at all), but the neighbors decline and just want to go out - mainly because if they were to accept, then they would feel obligated to reciprocate.

I'm a passable cook, but I'm the only one in the house, so it can get to be a chore. At the same time, I don't like eating take-out too frequently (or dining out, when that was a thing). For me it's a balancing act between getting burnt out cooking and getting burnt out eating take-out.

ericy 04-21-20 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21431280)
I'm a passable cook, but I'm the only one in the house, so it can get to be a chore. At the same time, I don't like eating take-out too frequently (or dining out, when that was a thing). For me it's a balancing act between getting burnt out cooking and getting burnt out eating take-out.

A lot of restaurant food bugs me. Portions are too large. Too much salt, too much cheese, too many carbs. Even a simple sandwich is sometimes over the top for me.