Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

phrantic09 05-02-20 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Pirkaus (Post 21450770)
I forgot to mention, in downtown Boston, every street is one way going the opposite direction of where you need to go. :p

It makes navigating easier once youíre used to it.

WhyFi 05-02-20 10:12 AM

Got in a short ride for myself and then took the Domane out for a test ride to make sure it's ready to be listed. Everything is working well (although the shifting isn't as light as the R8000) and the drivetrain is nice and quiet. It's amazing how odd it feels now, though - less nimble, position isn't right anymore and the 44cm bars feel comically large. It has served me well, though, and it'll be a nice ride for someone.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...338c8f520e.jpg

bampilot06 05-02-20 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21450844)
Got in a short ride for myself and then took the Domane out for a test ride to make sure it's ready to be listed. Everything is working well (although the shifting isn't as light as the R8000) and the drivetrain is nice and quiet. It's amazing how odd it feels now, though - less nimble, position isn't right anymore and the 44cm bars feel comically large. It has served me well, though, and it'll be a nice ride for someone.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...338c8f520e.jpg

looks like the man has a string attached to your right shifter.

indyfabz 05-02-20 10:16 AM

Itís sunny and warm here. Everybody and their mothers and fathers and children are out.

bampilot06 05-02-20 10:17 AM

Just make the Domane your VA bike. I elect myself to take care of it, and when you come it will be here. Win win for everybody.

WhyFi 05-02-20 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21450851)
Just make the Domane your VA bike. I elect myself to take care of it, and when you come it will be here. Win win for everybody.

Yeah, because that's what everybody needs for riding in the time of corona - a travel bike. :lol:

Bah Humbug 05-02-20 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21450865)
Yeah, because that's what everybody needs for riding in the time of corona - a travel bike. :lol:

I never thought I would say this, but I miss traveling. I was supposed to go to Spain and HK and Boulder. Now I'd settle for a weekend in San Antonio, just to see a different set of walls and a street that isn't mine.

WhyFi 05-02-20 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21450873)
I never thought I would say this, but I miss traveling. I was supposed to go to Spain and HK and Boulder. Now I'd settle for a weekend in San Antonio, just to see a different set of walls and a street that isn't mine.

I would love to go for a two or three day trip someplace nearby - the wife and I were talking about that the other day (her company is asking for vacation time requests to be submitted for the rest of the year in an effort to avoid a vacation logjam at the end of the year). I was tempted to just say **** it and suggest we get a hotel someplace, find restaurants for takeout and spread a blanket to picnic. No attractions are going to be open, but just being someplace else would be nice.

abshipp 05-02-20 11:02 AM

Local state park opened yesterday. Maybe against my better judgement but I'm about to go ride out there.

​​​​​​Time to see how small 3100 acres and 26 miles of singletrack can feel.

bampilot06 05-02-20 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21450898)
I would love to go for a two or three day trip someplace nearby - the wife and I were talking about that the other day (her company is asking for vacation time requests to be submitted for the rest of the year in an effort to avoid a vacation logjam at the end of the year). I was tempted to just say **** it and suggest we get a hotel someplace, find restaurants for takeout and spread a blanket to picnic. No attractions are going to be open, but just being someplace else would be nice.

Ill put you on my travel benefits. That opens all kind of possibilities. And the flights are wide open so no worries about getting stuck.

Velo Vol 05-02-20 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21450910)
Local state park opened yesterday.

:rolleyes:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f85ae9ccfe.png

Velo Vol 05-02-20 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21450916)
Ill put you on my travel benefits.

What are the benefits?

bampilot06 05-02-20 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21450926)
What are the benefits?

travel without paying ticket cost. You have to pay the taxes, but you are on standby. If things were normal I donít recommend it. Your at the bottom of the standby list, and the more people you have with you the harder it is to get on. Currently everything is wide open so that wouldnít be an issue.

bampilot06 05-02-20 11:17 AM

More of a joke. When I travel I usually drive. I have to fly standby to get to work and thatís stressful enough as it is.

WhyFi 05-02-20 11:26 AM

Looks like my Strava Summit membership expired over the last couple days. I'll have to think about renewing. On one hand, I don't think that I'm getting a ton of benefit from the Summit features, but on the other hand I do like Strava on the whole.

kissTheApex 05-02-20 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21450696)
But do you like wind? I did that event twice. Both times there was a very strong headwind during much of the return from the island.

I thought it was windy when I rode it, but Iíve heard from others that to-from the island is usually windy. It also rained when I rode it too :notamused:

Bah Humbug 05-02-20 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21450898)

Through a third of the year, I've used 2 of 25 vacation days. Yep, that'll be an issue at my company.

datlas 05-02-20 11:43 AM

Good solo ride. Gorgeous day. I saw lots of cyclists. Compliance with social distancing was not good, but what can one man do (other than not wave at the scofflaw cyclists)?

datlas 05-02-20 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21450551)
Doesnít look like youíre on Mrs. datlasís foie gras program datlas! Youíre supposed to be turning the shortcake into fat, not ride it off...

Shhh. Donít tell her. She is a really good cook!

WhyFi 05-02-20 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21450958)
Through a third of the year, I've used 2 of 25 vacation days. Yep, that'll be an issue at my company.

Yup, that's about what my wife is sitting at, too. I can understand the need to head off the problem, but damn is it hard to plan vacations right about now.

Velo Vol 05-02-20 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21450968)
what can one man do (other than not wave at the scofflaw cyclists)?

Yell.

WhyFi 05-02-20 12:18 PM

I was looking at the Strava Stalker FlyBy feature and saw a ride map that made me lol -

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2593787699.jpg

indyfabz 05-02-20 12:25 PM

Give this place and A for creativity. A three-vat cart washer and sanitizer.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ed44ab686.jpeg

Velo Vol 05-02-20 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21451031)
I was looking at the Strava Stalker FlyBy feature and saw a ride map that made me lol -

Long layover at the airport?

ericy 05-02-20 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21450968)
Good solo ride. Gorgeous day. I saw lots of cyclists. Compliance with social distancing was not good, but what can one man do (other than not wave at the scofflaw cyclists)?

I did a few laps through the neighborhood. A handful of people just walking the loop, some dog-walkers, about 4 other cyclists, and that's it. Dogs are really making out well with this thing. Cats on the other hand - we seem to be interrupting their naps.

This afternoon some digging in the yard. An underground sprinkler head was crooked and I needed to dig it out and reset it. There is another one that I need to replace as well - I will do that tomorrow. These things are kind of a pain to dig out.