Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Velo Vol 05-16-20 03:42 AM

Rise and shine! Where are your alarm cats?

seedsbelize 05-16-20 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21477941)

Mine worked beautifully. Woke me up at 5:15

datlas 05-16-20 05:16 AM

We have finally trained Jackie to wait for US to get up. It only took 2 years.

seedsbelize 05-16-20 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21477994)
We have finally trained Jackie to wait for US to get up. It only took 2 years.

Shouldn't you be out on the road by now?

Lemond1985 05-16-20 05:23 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8394b22157.jpg

"O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?"

Poor dog needs a Thundershirt: https://thundershirt.com/

Bah Humbug 05-16-20 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21477559)
Ingrowns are much less likely with safety razors. I think that I shave every three days or so. Stubble is acceptable right about now.

I've been on the "once a week-ish" plan on my face for a number of years now.

datlas 05-16-20 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21477996)
Shouldn't you be out on the road by now?

Ordinarily, yes. But I am on call for my practice this weekend. I groveled and one of my partners agreed to cover from 10 this morning for a few hours so I can get a ride in. Just a little later.

datlas 05-16-20 06:01 AM

Mrs datlas continues to offer to cut my hair and I continue to delay. I may relent soon.

Trsnrtr 05-16-20 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21477666)
Much better than cartridge/disposable razors. Smoother, doesn't clog as easily. It just takes a little time to remember to let the weight of the razor do the work - if you press, you'll draw blood sooner rather than later.

Donít forget, Iím old and remember safety razors well. Also, remember keeping a ready supply of styptic pencils and tp patches handy at all times. ;)

Seriously, Iíd be worried about all of the cranial bumps and low spots for a rigid safety razor to negotiate blindly in a lot of places.

Trsnrtr 05-16-20 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21477676)
Tonight my wife and I went on our first ride together in over a year :love:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...398e15a5ed.jpg

Excellent! :love:

Trsnrtr 05-16-20 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21477752)
Then, it's made the way they used to make them.

Chapeau! :thumb:

BillyD 05-16-20 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21477547)
Good for you. I canít imagine what a self haircut by me or my wife would look like. :twitchy:

I neglected to mention it's just an adequate job under the circumstances . . . maybe a 6.5 grade on the 10 scale.

BillyD 05-16-20 06:59 AM

The last post last night and the first post this morning . . . well done. :thumb:

BillyD 05-16-20 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21478005)
I've been on the "once a week-ish" plan on my face for a number of years now.

This is my plan lately. The main motivator is how bad the itching gets, so a week is about all I can take.

WhyFi 05-16-20 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21478060)
Donít forget, Iím old and remember safety razors well. Also, remember keeping a ready supply of styptic pencils and tp patches handy at all times. ;)

Seriously, Iíd be worried about all of the cranial bumps and low spots for a rigid safety razor to negotiate blindly in a lot of places.

I keep an alum block on hand for the odd weepers or nicks - it's weird to me that such a wonderful thing has been largely forgotten. That said, I usually don't need it more than once or twice a month.

Another factor for my low-ish nick rate might be the fact that I have almost 100 razors on-hand and have no qualms with tossing them once they start tugging.

Low spots are fine; I think safety razors do better than carts - carts are broader, flatter, and don't maneuver in as well. The most delicate spot for me it the top of the skull, where there's no padding under the skin - gotta go easy there.

Velo Vol 05-16-20 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21478026)
Mrs datlas continues to offer to cut my hair and I continue to delay.

Why not?

datlas 05-16-20 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21478134)
Why not?

I am ascared. Might look worse than what I have.

datlas 05-16-20 07:29 AM

Fun fact: you can regrow Romain lettuce. Don’t throw the bases out, stick in water!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a9ad50d13.jpeg

Edit: I think this works with celery and spring onions/scallions and likely other veggies, but I am a neophyte regrower and not sure. See what I did there? :innocent:

datlas 05-16-20 07:32 AM

Another related fun fact: you can sharpen “disposable” razors against your arm or jeans and they are almost good as new. I get 2 months of shaves from Gillette Mach 3 blade, so a 4 pack lasts me 8 months.

#thrifty

seedsbelize 05-16-20 07:32 AM

Mrs. Seeds has always cut my hair. She cuts it to her standards, since I don't give a flying **** what it looks like, as long as it's comfortable.
#doesn'tusemirrors
I can tell if it's a bit unruly by the shadow it casts.
I have a painting on my bathroom wall, where one would normally find a mirror.
My clothing choices follow a similar line of thinking. As do, alas, my bikes.

ericy 05-16-20 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21477517)
I do hope you only mean in terms of haircut.

AG is going to press me into that duty shortly. At least she's much less touchy about it than most women.

My wife regularly gives me haircuts with clippers we bought at Target. We have been doing this for a number of years now. In the summer I have to wear hats anyways to avoid sunburn, so any funny shape to my head isn't entirely obvious to others.

I have sometimes done my own, but my wife always complains that I miss a spot. My brother used to be able to trim his own hair with clippers, so I think it is just a matter of practice.

Velo Vol 05-16-20 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21478170)
#doesn'tusemirrors
I can tell if it's a bit unruly by the shadow it casts.
I have a painting on my bathroom wall, where one would normally find a mirror.

wut

seedsbelize 05-16-20 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21478161)
Fun fact: you can regrow Romain lettuce. Donít throw the bases out, stick in water!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a9ad50d13.jpeg

Back in the early 70s it was rumored that lettuce hearts contained opium and, thus could be dried and smoked in order to get high. And in the late 60s there was the thing where you put a stick of gum between the banana and the peel, let it sit for a few days, and then chew it. What do the medics have to say on the subject?

Lemond1985 05-16-20 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by ericy (Post 21478173)
My wife regularly gives me haircuts with clippers we bought at Target. We have been doing this for a number of years now. In the summer I have to wear hats anyways to avoid sunburn, so any funny shape to my head isn't entirely obvious to others.

I have sometimes done my own, but my wife always complains that I miss a spot. My brother used to be able to trim his own hair with clippers, so I think it is just a matter of practice.

My dad has a side view mirror from a car, attached to a 2x4. He uses that, and some clippers, to give himself "haircuts" out in the shed. Saves a ton of $$$.

ericy 05-16-20 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21478160)
I am ascared. Might look worse than what I have.

It will always grow back.

Apropos of something: