Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

MoAlpha 06-09-20 03:55 PM


Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 21524661)
Still better than putting the water on a bike that weighs 10 lb more. You have to ride a 12.5 lb bike like the crabon one I just sold to understand how good it feels.

I have never done the comparison, but I expect one notices it more on a 12.5 lb bike than a 22.5 lb. one. Viz., if one notices it at all, which I don't on my 16 or 17 lb crabon bike.

seedsbelize 06-09-20 04:10 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21523999)
For the record, my wife would divorce me if I bought another bike.

I doubt that. High school sweethearts and all
My wife couldn't care less how many bikes I have. Or how many boxes of spare parts. I am becoming excited at the prospect of selling off half the fleet in the reasonably near future.

rpenmanparker 06-09-20 04:12 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21524699)
I doubt thst. High school sweethearts and all

Yep. I know all about it. There is no escape. Kind of a Borg thing.

Velo Vol 06-09-20 04:13 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21524476)
BTW, it's easier and cheaper to have a weight weenie body than a weight weenie bike.

Sadly when I was at my lightest I was in poor riding shape.

kissTheApex 06-09-20 04:19 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21523621)
The result was superior in every way: restaurant quality with a crust that could lacerate your palate, a delicately stretchy crumb with holes the size of pigeon eggs, and great taste.

Almost felt like I was biting in on one.

seedsbelize 06-09-20 04:21 PM


Originally Posted by Jadesfire (Post 21524188)
I believe seedsbelize got the worst of it. The coastal parishes naturally got the majority of it here, with some minor flooding at the lakefronts.

The southern portion of the state got hammered. There they have hills and valleys and had crops in the ground. We were talking to a man, today, who teaches school down there. He said there is one village where the water doesn't drain off. They will have standing water for three months. They got 19" in 72 hours. We, here in the flatlands, got in the neighborhood of 14" over the course of a week. There is still standing water around, but none of the roads are blocked anymore.

seedsbelize 06-09-20 04:22 PM


Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 21524148)
Yes, 54. 14.5 lb.

Just a few minutes ago I heard the bike calling, "Trainsnorter, Trainsnorter." It was pitiful.

14.5 lbs. built up? Impressive.

seedsbelize 06-09-20 04:30 PM

I'm also excited about not being laid up for another two months. And about learning to work with and around the new finger configuration.

WhyFi 06-09-20 04:52 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21524673)
I have never done the comparison, but I expect one notices it more on a 12.5 lb bike than a 22.5 lb. one. Viz., if one notices it at all, which I don't on my 16 or 17 lb crabon bike.

Every once in a while, I'll lift my bike on to or off of the wall mount and I'll think, "wow! Why does it feel so light?" Then I'll realize that the saddle toll roll isn't attached.

Of course, whether I'd notice that while riding is a different question.

Velo Vol 06-09-20 05:09 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21524751)
And about learning to work with and around the new finger configuration.

How are they configured now?

rpenmanparker 06-09-20 05:15 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21524734)
14.5 lbs. built up? Impressive.

It is so easy, even to do inexpensively, I have never understood why it is not more common. Not only that , but folks seem to relish adding weight with new developments like wide rims. No sooner did carbon fiber come along to lighten frames
and wheels, then folks had to add the weight back with wide rims and disc brake fixtures on the frames. And more gears. Don’t forget more gears.

rpenmanparker 06-09-20 05:18 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21524802)
Every once in a while, I'll lift my bike on to or off of the wall mount and I'll think, "wow! Why does it feel so light?" Then I'll realize that the saddle toll roll isn't attached.

Of course, whether I'd notice that while riding is a different question.

I carried my tools in my back pocket. They never made the bike feel heavy.

WhyFi 06-09-20 05:26 PM


Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 21524854)
I carried my tools in my back pocket. They never made the bike feel heavy.

I need my back pockets for food. I'm a serious cyclist.

rjones28 06-09-20 05:29 PM


Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 21524851)
It is so easy, even to do inexpensively, I have never understood why it is not more common. Not only that , but folks seem to relish adding weight with new developments like wide rims. No sooner did carbon fiber come along to lighten frames
and wheels, then folks had to add the weight back with wide rims and disc brake fixtures on the frames. And more gears. Don’t forget more gears.

My single speed is heavier than my 11 speed. ;)

Velo Vol 06-09-20 05:32 PM


Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 21524851)
then folks had to add the weight back with wide rims and disc brake fixtures on the frames. And more gears

A bunch of dumb dumbs.

rpenmanparker 06-09-20 05:33 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21524871)
My single speed is heavier than my 11 speed. ;)

Stuff happens!

bampilot06 06-09-20 05:43 PM

got the last seat available on the flight home! success.

Hoping to get some miles in tomorrow morning, wx is not looking good the rest of the week, unfortunately.

datlas 06-09-20 05:44 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21524867)
I need my back pockets for food. I'm a serious cyclist.

Not necessarily. I carry food in one pocket, repair bag in middle, keys/phone/misc in other side.

datlas 06-09-20 05:45 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21524871)
My single speed is heavier than my 11 speed. ;)

Same here. My SS is a tank. I have not weighed it but would estimate it to be 24-25 pounds.

Of course my 11 speed doesn’t weigh anything because all mine are 10.

Velo Vol 06-09-20 05:53 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21524900)
got the last seat available on the flight home! success

Airplanes are full now?

bampilot06 06-09-20 05:55 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21524912)
Airplanes are full now?

limited to 85 percent of capacity. Because of that they are “full”

Bah Humbug 06-09-20 06:11 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21524382)
Weenieism is rampant, no matter the frame material.

Even the steel is real crowd suffers.

Bah. I ride an R2 with 105 and a bunch of basic aluminum parts.

I would love to try a truly fancy bike sometime - R5 or even RCa with some light tubbies and just see what weenieism is. Or be like whatsisface and get an S5 and give it that same treatment. I can't imagine ever paying for it though.

Velo Vol 06-09-20 06:18 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21524914)
limited to 85 percent of capacity. Because of that they are “full”

Huh, I thought they were still at 50%.

Back to normal, everyone.

Bah Humbug 06-09-20 06:30 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21524914)
limited to 85 percent of capacity. Because of that they are “full”

That doesn't seem much safer than 100%.

AG and I are thinking of spending a few weeks in Boulder after the move. In huge part because we can just drive.

bampilot06 06-09-20 06:34 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21524946)
Huh, I thought they were still at 50%.

Back to normal, everyone.


If the airlines were to operate at 50 percent the ticket price would be so high nobody would pay for it. It would be cheaper to hire a charter.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.