Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

BillyD 07-30-21 09:52 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22163366)
Never more than one at a time, though. Three Addicts in one place? That would be worlds colliding.

With enough beer you can minimize the worlds colliding.


https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2322e7ef05.jpg

datlas 07-30-21 09:52 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22164012)
I'm getting pretty slick at running new derailleur cables all up in my plastic bike frame. I'll get it down to five minutes by the time I buy bike with electronical shifting.

Do you use the Park Tool magnet gizmo?

LesterOfPuppets 07-30-21 09:54 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22164111)
No. It's time for Velo Vol to travel somewhere, anywhere other than Sharpsville.

Definitely time for a Vol road trip. That boy needs some salt potatoes and hand pie.

indyfabz 07-30-21 09:56 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22163822)
Does that have a ceramic coating? :innocent:

Good coating of dirt. Maybe I should start a thread asking ďHow do you clean your bike?Ē With a poll.

MoAlpha 07-30-21 09:57 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22164133)
Do you use the Park Tool magnet gizmo?

No, just two lengths of housing liner with a break at the BB. I'm talking about changing cables, not running them de novo.

BillyD 07-30-21 09:57 AM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22163510)
Summary of meet up:
We met at an undisclosed location discussing undisclosed topics for an undisclosed period of time. Then we departed for undisclosed destinations.

So you didn't notice the black van with tinted windows parked nearby?

Good.

bampilot06 07-30-21 09:57 AM

dropped my bike off at my LBS for the new BB last friday. Called them all week and could never get anyone on the phone. Not a big deal since Iím at work, but I started having thoughts that maybe my bike was dropped or something. Just got them on the phone, still hasnít been worked on, hopeful completion date tomorrow.

Was in Milwaukee last night, and was woken up by tornado alarms on my phone. Didnít even know that was a thing. Turned it off and rolled back over, but then this hellish alarm noise outside started, making the threat more real. I realized I didnít know what to do. We donít have tornados where I am from, so I sat by the window waiting for a cow to fly by.

LesterOfPuppets 07-30-21 09:57 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22164130)
With enough beer you can minimize the worlds colliding.


https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2322e7ef05.jpg

Oh yeah, I saw noodle boy at a gazebo on the MUP Monday. He got to soak in the magnificence of the new Legnano :)

MoAlpha 07-30-21 09:59 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22164139)
dropped my bike off at my LBS for the new BB last friday. Called them all week and could never get anyone on the phone. Not a big deal since Iím at work, but I started having thoughts that maybe my bike was dropped or something. Just got them on the phone, still hasnít been worked on, hopeful completion date tomorrow.

Was in Milwaukee last night, and was woken up by tornado alarms on my phone. Didnít even know that was a thing. Turned it off and rolled back over, but then this hellish alarm noise outside started, making the threat more real. I realized I didnít know what to do. We donít have tornados where I am from, so I sat by the window waiting for a cow to fly by.

Today's bike shops are not "serious" businesses.

LesterOfPuppets 07-30-21 10:03 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22164139)
...I realized I didnít know what to do. We donít have tornados where I am from, so I sat by the window waiting for a cow to fly by.

If you don't have basement access, there's not much else you can do, but they say to stay away from windows. Motel bathrooms are often safe these days, sometimes the closet is better.

​​​​​And since you're in Wisconsin you should probably try to work beer into the equation somehow
​​​​​​

bampilot06 07-30-21 10:31 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22164146)
If you don't have basement access, there's not much else you can do, but they say to stay away from windows. Motel bathrooms are often safe these days, sometimes the closet is better.

​​​​​And since you're in Wisconsin you should probably try to work beer into the equation somehow
​​​​​​



I would be more interested in the Cheese then the beer. Only stayed a short night, starting the long journey home.

bampilot06 07-30-21 10:33 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22164144)
Today's bike shops are not "serious" businesses.


I would imagine RJís is serious.

datlas 07-30-21 10:40 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22164136)
Good coating of dirt. Maybe I should start a thread asking ďHow do you clean your bike?Ē With a poll.

That's too easy. Ask which pressure washer is best for your bike. :innocent:

datlas 07-30-21 10:50 AM

You think this message will generate some buzz? I just got it in my inbox:


BikesDirect.com
CEO SAYS:
CHANGES COMING
AUGUST 1st

Happy Friday! Hello and thank you for being a valued customer. We hope this email finds you well.
We are writing to update you with some important changes coming August 1st.
Everyone at Bikesdirect.com works very hard to bring the best bicycles at the best possible prices. Our CEO who has always fought hard against price increases. The entire bicycle industry has been raising prices. Due to skyrocketing materials costs, parts shortages, container, freight and shipping charges we cannot absorb anymore.
Why is the entire bike industry raising prices up to 30% or more? Container transport costs are a large factor in addition to higher parts costs. Before the pandemic, transporting one container was $3,000 to $5,000. Each holds 300 to 350 bikes. That is about $17 per bike. Recently, prices skyrocketed to $21,000. That is $70 per bike.
https://gcaptain.com/2021-container-rates-surge/
https://tamebay.com/2021/07/the-ship...come-down.html
The entire bike industry has already been raising prices up to 30%. Starting August 1st, Bikesdirect.com will be raising prices of many bikes.
For over 20 years Bikesdirect.com continues to be the largest American family owned online bike retailer. Our deals will continue to be the best bang for buck anywhere even after August 1st.

LesterOfPuppets 07-30-21 10:50 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22164122)
I the train was crossing a big bridge, but only once

My favorite road sign on the route:


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a42549510.jpeg

That is a nice one! Here's my favorite from Point of Rocks, Wyoming:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8bc9be342f.jpg

Mojo31 07-30-21 10:52 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22164104)
An hour since last post? Since when did employment responsibilities interfere with your BF postings? This is preposterous, folks! :notamused:

Sorry, was on the road all morning picking up the dog jail.

Mojo31 07-30-21 10:54 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22164205)
You think this message will generate some buzz? I just got it in my inbox:


BikesDirect.com
CEO SAYS:
CHANGES COMING
AUGUST 1st

Happy Friday! Hello and thank you for being a valued customer. We hope this email finds you well.
We are writing to update you with some important changes coming August 1st.
Everyone at Bikesdirect.com works very hard to bring the best bicycles at the best possible prices. Our CEO who has always fought hard against price increases. The entire bicycle industry has been raising prices. Due to skyrocketing materials costs, parts shortages, container, freight and shipping charges we cannot absorb anymore.
Why is the entire bike industry raising prices up to 30% or more? Container transport costs are a large factor in addition to higher parts costs. Before the pandemic, transporting one container was $3,000 to $5,000. Each holds 300 to 350 bikes. That is about $17 per bike. Recently, prices skyrocketed to $21,000. That is $70 per bike.
https://gcaptain.com/2021-container-rates-surge/
https://tamebay.com/2021/07/the-ship...come-down.html
The entire bike industry has already been raising prices up to 30%. Starting August 1st, Bikesdirect.com will be raising prices of many bikes.
For over 20 years Bikesdirect.com continues to be the largest American family owned online bike retailer. Our deals will continue to be the best bang for buck anywhere even after August 1st.

Outrageous! They should be happy giving them to people for free. Or at least selling them at a loss.

Mojo31 07-30-21 10:55 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22164139)
dropped my bike off at my LBS for the new BB last friday. Called them all week and could never get anyone on the phone. Not a big deal since Iím at work, but I started having thoughts that maybe my bike was dropped or something. Just got them on the phone, still hasnít been worked on, hopeful completion date tomorrow.

Was in Milwaukee last night, and was woken up by tornado alarms on my phone. Didnít even know that was a thing. Turned it off and rolled back over, but then this hellish alarm noise outside started, making the threat more real. I realized I didnít know what to do. We donít have tornados where I am from, so I sat by the window waiting for a cow to fly by.

I'd be more worried about them going out of business than dropping a bike.

Mojo31 07-30-21 10:58 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22164146)
If you don't have basement access, there's not much else you can do, but they say to stay away from windows. Motel bathrooms are often safe these days, sometimes the closet is better.

​​​​​And since you're in Wisconsin you should probably try to work beer into the equation somehow
​​​​​​

We live in a hotbed of tornado activity, so we get the warnings a lot during the spring. We don't have a basement, and only three rooms on the first floor without windows. But, two of those are bathrooms with mirrors and the other is the kitchen pantry with cans and glass stuff. It's always a toss up as to whether I'd rather get impaled with broken mirror pieces or beat to death with canned goods if a tornado should hit us.

datlas 07-30-21 11:01 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22164215)
Outrageous! They should be happy giving them to people for free. Or at least selling them at a loss.

I am guessing they may have to tone down the rhetoric. Maybe now the deal of the decade rather than the DEAL OF THE CENTURY!!

LesterOfPuppets 07-30-21 11:02 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22164221)
We live in a hotbed of tornado activity, so we get the warnings a lot during the spring. We don't have a basement, and only three rooms on the first floor without windows. But, two of those are bathrooms with mirrors and the other is the kitchen pantry with cans and glass stuff. It's always a toss up as to whether I'd rather get impaled with broken mirror pieces or beat to death with canned goods if a tornado should hit us.

Is the mirror on an interior wall at least? I guess you could always keep a roll of tape in the medicine cabinet and use that to tape an X or * on the mirror whenever holing up in there is called for.

LesterOfPuppets 07-30-21 11:03 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22164211)
Sorry, was on the road all morning picking up the dog jail.

I have some primo weathered wood around here if you need some to make the sign

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5a62a6fc8d.jpg

LesterOfPuppets 07-30-21 11:04 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22164225)
I am guessing they may have to tone down the rhetoric. Maybe now the deal of the decade rather than the DEAL OF THE CENTURY!!

I'd go full low-key. "Meh, could be worse." or "Hey, at least we have some bikes in stock."

Mojo31 07-30-21 11:17 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22164229)
I have some primo weathered wood around here if you need some to make the sign

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5a62a6fc8d.jpg


I'm going to route "Ella" in cute little letters on the bone. It just has to be cute.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c38537df35.jpg

bampilot06 07-30-21 11:19 AM

ďwhy wait 475 days for your project 1 madone, when you have have this awesome Gravity today!!!!!!!Ē


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.