Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

indyfabz 03-09-22 09:50 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22433292)
When/where is your next big tour??

I don't have anything big planned. Looking at 7 days of riding with two off days for easy hiking and possibly some paddling in VT starting early June. Starting in Brattleboro and heading to the Northeast Kingdom then ultimately taking he train home from St. Albans.

Firs scheduled outing is to Lewes, DE for two days then up the coast to A.C. for the train home. Start would be the day before Good Friday. We have off that Friday so it saves me from burning a vacation day. I made my campsite reservation in Lewes last month. The place was nearly full for Easter weekend already.

datlas 03-09-22 09:51 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22433385)
I don't have anything big planned. Looking at 7 days of riding with two off days for easy hiking and possibly some paddling in VT starting early June. Starting in Brattleboro and heading to the Northeast Kingdom then ultimately taking he train home from St. Albans.

Firs scheduled outing is to Lewes, DE for two days then up the coast to A.C. for the train home. Start would be the day before Good Friday. We have off that Friday so it saves me from burning a vacation day. I made my campsite reservation in Lewes last month. The place was nearly full for Easter weekend already.

Sounds good. We are planning a week in Asheville in early May. Gotta ride up Mt Mitchell.

abshipp 03-09-22 10:06 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22433229)
Daayum, that road is straight as a mutha!

It's funny looking at my old cue sheets. A lot of times instead of writing a left of right turn I would use cardinal directions. Made a lot of sense when I was riding on a grid. Down here there are no straight roads so that approach is useless :lol:

abshipp 03-09-22 10:11 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22433243)
Foreflight wasnít a thing when I started flying. It became more popular when I was instructing. It always amazes me how fast people will give up solid practices (sectional chart, plotter, E6B) for technology when an Ipad is only good as long as it has a battery. Not to mention apps get corrupted. Trying to teach a younger student how to use a sectional when they had an ipad was like pulling teeth. I

Dead reckoning at least keeps you occupied on a long XC in a slow airplane.


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22433342)
Followed Hwy 75/69 out of Dallas to I44 in OK until you got to I55 in Illinois, heh?

Flying IFR is easy! I follow roads :D

indyfabz 03-09-22 10:21 AM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22433366)
welcome to my world.

I remember that from my X-country ride. Indiana had a lot of straight roads as well.

LesterOfPuppets 03-09-22 10:36 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22433409)
It's funny looking at my old cue sheets. A lot of times instead of writing a left of right turn I would use cardinal directions. Made a lot of sense when I was riding on a grid. Down here there are no straight roads so that approach is useless :lol:

On my cue sheets for riding on crooked roads that mostly don't have street signs, I put the approximate compass bearing of the road I'm turning onto, that helps me reassure myself that I'm taking the correct turn, or I didn't miss a turn, etc.

BillyD 03-09-22 10:59 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22433250)
Straight, flat, gravel, soybeans (?) to left, corn to the right - looks like any number of roads to the south of the Twin Cities... and prolly half of the upper midwest.

Not easy to find a road that straight, and that flat, for as far as the eye can see, around this part of the country. Especially not in the Hudson Valley.

rjones28 03-09-22 10:59 AM

Wheel Wednesday

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eb3f2ae25a.jpg

genejockey 03-09-22 11:07 AM

Now I feel stupid.
Wordle 263 6/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟨🟩⬜🟨⬜
🟨🟩🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Mojo31 03-09-22 11:16 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22433461)
Not easy to find a road that straight, and that flat, for as far as the eye can see, around this part of the country. Especially not in the Hudson Valley.

Surprisingly, not easy here unless you look at the interstates.

BillyD 03-09-22 11:19 AM

#TheUsualSuspects

A gang of 8 juveniles hanging around with nothing to do in the human world would be trouble waiting to happen. :lol:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fed74ad96f.jpg

I love how they all automatically adhere to the standard personal spacing.

seedsbelize2 03-09-22 11:25 AM

:bday:
This morning I bought a box of 50 SS db spokes, 298mm, for US$25.
Celebrating with a slice of chocolate cake a la mode, with a cup of the best coffee in the city. It doesn't hurt to have extra.

seedsbelize2 03-09-22 11:29 AM

Just came from the chiropractor. I can walk again, for now, at least. Getting an x-ray in a few minutes, and then another visit . I blame it on sleeping in hotel beds, in instead of my trusty hammock.

seedsbelize2 03-09-22 11:40 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22433304)
Mrs. rjones28 still uses a Daytimer to keep her calendar.

My wife uses her Daytimer too. I had to type Daytimer three times before the phone would accept it.

DougRNS 03-09-22 11:41 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22433388)
Sounds good. We are planning a week in Asheville in early May. Gotta ride up Mt Mitchell.

you should swing by nearby Knoxville to check in on Velo Vol

DougRNS 03-09-22 11:44 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22433468)
Now I feel stupid.
Wordle 263 6/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟨🟩⬜🟨⬜
🟨🟩🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Now?

Mojo31 03-09-22 11:48 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22433483)
#TheUsualSuspects

A gang of 8 juveniles hanging around with nothing to do in the human world would be trouble waiting to happen. :lol:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fed74ad96f.jpg

I love how they all automatically adhere to the standard personal spacing.

This time of year, we get ducks swimming in our pool. They **** in it and make a mess. When I see them, I run out and loudly yell "Get the duck out of here!"

The doves that nest on my patio speakers every spring also make a mess.

Too bad we live in city limits.

genejockey 03-09-22 12:21 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22433525)
Now?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bde1d53ae9.jpg

genejockey 03-09-22 12:23 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22433479)
Surprisingly, not easy here unless you look at the interstates.

You have to go to the Central Valley for that here. Even our interstates go up and down and side to side.

datlas 03-09-22 12:34 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22433519)
you should swing by nearby Knoxville to check in on Velo Vol

Looks kinda far in cycling distance. Where is that bear, anyway?

datlas 03-09-22 12:51 PM

We wasted/spent nearly 3 hours at the Verizon store to get two phones set up. Apparently the process of keeping the old numbers from tracfone was the major obstacle. Most of the time was spent on hold with Tracfone customer service.

We still have one more line to do, next week, when Heidi comes home for spring break.

I signed up for a short fake group ride on Zwift since it’s still raining here.

genejockey 03-09-22 01:05 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22433606)
We wasted/spent nearly 3 hours at the Verizon store to get two phones set up. Apparently the process of keeping the old numbers from tracfone was the major obstacle. Most of the time was spent on hold with Tracfone customer service.

We still have one more line to do, next week, when Heidi comes home for spring break.

I signed up for a short fake group ride on Zwift since itís still raining here.

I'm always amazed how long it takes to do that stuff. It's not like somebody in the Main Office has to go find the wire that corresponds to your phone number and physically move it to another place. It reminds me of how banks in the era of instant online wire transfers and verifications and all that would STILL put a multi-day hold on deposits.

Mojo31 03-09-22 01:34 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22433620)
I'm always amazed how long it takes to do that stuff. It's not like somebody in the Main Office has to go find the wire that corresponds to your phone number and physically move it to another place. It reminds me of how banks in the era of instant online wire transfers and verifications and all that would STILL put a multi-day hold on deposits.

They do that to get the interest on the funds. Those pennies add up quickly.

genejockey 03-09-22 01:47 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22433656)
They do that to get the interest on the funds. Those pennies add up quickly.

Of course! There has long been no other reasonable excuse - they did it because they could.

datlas 03-09-22 02:21 PM

I signed up for a an easy “sub 2.0” group ride but somehow ended up with a small group riding a bit harder. I ended up averaging 2.2 w/Kg which for me was not so easy.

datlas 03-09-22 02:23 PM

Since we were at the Verizon store all morning, mrs datlas was observing and noted the average age of the customers was about 65. I think that makes sense as we older folks need more hand-holding in person with technology. :50:

big john 03-09-22 02:31 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22433606)
We wasted/spent nearly 3 hours at the Verizon store to get two phones set up. Apparently the process of keeping the old numbers from tracfone was the major obstacle. Most of the time was spent on hold with Tracfone customer service.

We still have one more line to do, next week, when Heidi comes home for spring break.

I signed up for a short fake group ride on Zwift since itís still raining here.

Last week I watched an episode of Undercover Boss featuring US Cellular. The boss went undercover into a store where he was informed setting up an existing customer with a new phone took about an hour and a new customer took 2 hours.

Fun fact: I still don't have a cell phone. Still don't want one.

indyfabz 03-09-22 02:46 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22433718)
Since we were at the Verizon store all morning, mrs datlas was observing and noted the average age of the customers was about 65. I think that makes sense as we older folks need more hand-holding in person with technology. :50:

Maybe it's time for this:


datlas 03-09-22 02:50 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22433737)

Soon. Sad!

DougRNS 03-09-22 04:54 PM

Had my follow up. Very perplexing. Lumbar and thoracic disc's are great no surgery (or jacket) required. He doesn't know what's wrong with me! Referred me to a place that does radio frequency ablation and facet nerve blocks and epidural spinal injections. I'm not going to waste my time with the epidural steroid injections if I can and go to something that will provide relief. At least i'm getting closer to getting some pain relief. What a cluster.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:04 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.