Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

genejockey 09-30-21 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22251634)
How do you establish intent?

I see monster pickups spewing out black smoke often. Seems like it's the way they're made?

Witnesses. If you read one of the stories when this first came out, he'd 'coal rolled' one cyclist for a bit, then passed him and moved up on the group he eventually ran over.

LAJ 09-30-21 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22251634)
How do you establish intent?

I see monster pickups spewing out black smoke often. Seems like it's the way they're made?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3a011d7af8.png

Established.

LAJ 09-30-21 01:05 PM

If you see a diesel smoking, it's broken, or tampered. If it's a monster pick up, especially a modern one, it's tampered. There are opacity standards, but if I can see more than 10%, there's something going on.

LesterOfPuppets 09-30-21 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22251650)
If you see a diesel smoking, it's broken, or tampered. If it's a monster pick up, especially a modern one, it's tampered. There are opacity standards, but if I can see more than 10%, there's something going on.

With the clapped out Dodge in VV's pic, it's probably both broken and tampered with. :)

Velo Vol 09-30-21 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22251646)

I generally don't see it that bad.

But oh if there was an ordinance against such behaviour. And if the Knox County sheriff cared enough about cyclists to bother enforcing it. I'd have my day on the roads. Oh yes.

LAJ 09-30-21 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22251658)
I generally don't see it that bad.

But oh if there was an ordinance against such behaviour. And if the Knox County sheriff cared enough about cyclists to bother enforcing it. I'd have my day on the roads. Oh yes.

We're one of the few states that have a coal rolling law. We had law enforcement take opacity classes so they could be considered "experts".

BillyD 09-30-21 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22251597)

Awesome.

datlas 09-30-21 01:29 PM

I just did a medical cannabis consultation for one of my partner's patients. He mentioned he is a cyclist. I made a faux pas and said that since he was interested in cannabis, he must be a mountain biker. Turns out he is a roadie.

Oops.

sbxx1985 09-30-21 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22251646)

This was from your video, right?

datlas 09-30-21 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22251626)
After failing Workout #1 (VO2max Over/Unders) of Zwift Academy twice, I took a bit of a break from it. That, and just not feeling it in the legs. I had based my FTP on Ramp testing, which can apparently overestimate FTP. I also realized I'd set the FTP on Zwift at 260, even though I'd only gotten 256 on the Ramp test. SO I dropped that to 249 (because I was working a slider and couldn't get 250). Last night I tried it again, this time with the Over/Under of 285w/235w instead of 300w/245w, and although it was hard, I finished it!

Now I'm wondering - did I overestimate my FTP originally? Or am I just a wimp? I dunno. But I think I'll do the rest of the workouts with this setting. Later I can try them at maybe 255.

The cooler weather reminds me that in another 1-2 months I may have to rejoin the collective. Sad.

sbxx1985 09-30-21 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22251650)

I did not know this. So they modify their exhaust so they can roll coal?

Trsnrtr 09-30-21 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22251696)
The cooler weather reminds me that in another 1-2 months I may have to rejoin the collective. Sad.

I keep looking at my Kickrs and thinking that it's time to do some trial runs. I always seem to have trouble getting everything to run smoothly the first couple rides and it would be nice to have everything running slick for a change on the first ride.

Of course, it's 88 degrees this afternoon so i think that I'll put it off for now.

genejockey 09-30-21 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22251696)

It's mostly a question of time and light, for me. To get in a 1 - 1 1/2 hour ride after work IRL, I have to stop work before 4:30 to change, drive to the parking spot, and ride, to get done before the sun drops behind the hill. And for the next month, it only gets earlier, so that by November, it's basically 3:30. OR I can leave work at a more normal 5 or late and get in the same length of ride without worrying about it being dark out when I finish.

datlas 09-30-21 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22251707)
It's mostly a question of time and light, for me. To get in a 1 - 1 1/2 hour ride after work IRL, I have to stop work before 4:30 to change, drive to the parking spot, and ride, to get done before the sun drops behind the hill. And for the next month, it only gets earlier, so that by November, it's basically 3:30. OR I can leave work at a more normal 5 or late and get in the same length of ride without worrying about it being dark out when I finish.

Another issue is that it seems you actually enjoy (or don't mind) Strava.

I find it a necessary evil to maintain my fitness, but I would so much rather go ride outside whenever possible. I cannot say I like it.

WhyFi 09-30-21 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22251682)
I just did a medical cannabis consultation for one of my partner's patients. He mentioned he is a cyclist. I made a faux pas and said that since he was interested in cannabis, he must be a mountain biker. Turns out he is a roadie.

Oops.

I'm sure that he was a mellow guy and didn't take too much offense.

FWIW, a significant number of the guys in my club are... interested. too. Then again, most of those guys are MTBers, as well.

genejockey 09-30-21 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22251720)
Another issue is that it seems you actually enjoy (or don't mind) Strava.

I find it a necessary evil to maintain my fitness, but I would so much rather go ride outside whenever possible. I cannot say I like it.

It's somewhere between "don't mind" and "enjoy". Riding IRL still >> Riding ITG. But Riding >>>>Not Riding!

WhyFi 09-30-21 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22251700)
I keep looking at my Kickrs and thinking that it's time to do some trial runs. I always seem to have trouble getting everything to run smoothly the first couple rides and it would be nice to have everything running slick for a change on the first ride.

Of course, it's 88 degrees this afternoon so i think that I'll put it off for now.

Yeah, it's been too nice out. Since taking delivery on my new trainer a week and a half ago, I haven't been able to bring myself to do anything more than confirm that it works and that the flywheel isn't knocking (which was an issue on some of the early production units of this model).

WhyFi 09-30-21 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22251729)
It's somewhere between "don't mind" and "enjoy". Riding IRL still >> Riding ITG. But Riding >>>>Not Riding!

My trainer supposedly includes one free month of Zwift. If that applies to me (I have done the trail membership in the past), I'm going to give it another whirl.

...but I expect that I'll still be thoroughly disinterested and only want to ride intervals and get the **** on with my day.

LAJ 09-30-21 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22251694)
This was from your video, right?

It was. Up on Twin Spruce, which is off of Coal Creak Canyon.

seedsbelize2 09-30-21 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22251467)
Time for a new bag. What do you think of the color combo? I get things dirty easily so I avoid bright colors.

https://img.timbuk2.com/image/c31cc3...6078c7d0?w=&h=

Purple"s not my thing. I love the green though/

LAJ 09-30-21 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22251697)
I did not know this. So they modify their exhaust so they can roll coal?

Anytime you see black smoke like that, it's pure fuel. So they can have an adjustable box or programmer that has different settings. Turning box to full rich will yield crap like that.

White smoke is water/coolant, so you won't see anything like that. Blue smoke is oil, and you sometimes see both in cars, as well as trucks. Both of those are a broken/worn out engine, and won't do what you see in the picture.

datlas 09-30-21 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22251728)
I'm sure that he was a mellow guy and didn't take too much offense.

FWIW, a significant number of the guys in my club are... interested. too. Then again, most of those guys are MTBers, as well.

Dude.

I actually am so square I have never tried any form of cannabis. But some of my patients clearly benefit from it so I jumped through the hoops to get credentialed in my state. Luckily the state allows me to "opt out" of the online listing of cannabis physicians, so no one will find me by google etc., I am only willing to do this for established patients.

seedsbelize2 09-30-21 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22251574)
Wut

The only way I see images is by quoting

datlas 09-30-21 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22251735)
My trainer supposedly includes one free month of Zwift. If that applies to me (I have done the trail membership in the past), I'm going to give it another whirl.

...but I expect that I'll still be thoroughly disinterested and only want to ride intervals and get the **** on with my day.

Everyone is different. I actually like the group ride/social aspect of Zwift and do group rides with my friends and chat on Discord when the roads are unsafe to ride outside. It makes a 1-2 hour ride go by tolerably, compared to the trainer without Zwift which is sheer torture.

WhyFi 09-30-21 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22251749)
Everyone is different. I actually like the group ride/social aspect of Zwift and do group rides with my friends and chat on Discord when the roads are unsafe to ride outside. It makes a 1-2 hour ride go by tolerably, compared to the trainer without Zwift which is sheer torture.

Yeah, a couple of folks that I ride with do Zwift, but I don't know that any of them schedule group rides. That might make it more interesting, but at the same time, it falls in to the same herding cats trap as every other group ride that's not on Wed night - if there's not a regular, long-standing day and time, it's just going to be a scheduling headache and I'll probably end up riding on my own, anyway.

Intervals, though? Yeah - give me a clear goal, a clear duration and let me get at it. It's "fun" if the level of difficultly is set up properly (not bored, not on the edge of vomiting).