Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

Mojo31 04-10-22 06:00 AM

Wordle 295 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

BillyD 04-10-22 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22467403)
I am supposed to ride my age today since it’s my Bday, but feeling a bit achey from the shot, so more likely I will ride 57 Km instead of 57 miles.

:bday:

I can’t remember how long it’s been since I would have enjoyed cycling enough to celebrate a birthday, but probably in the 90s. Today a birthday is the best excuse to relax and spoil myself.

phrantic09 04-10-22 06:47 AM

Yesterday was brutal. Up in the hills it was down to 35 with steady rain. Almost quit a couple of times but HTFU and finished.

The roads were super soft and needed a ton of extra effort. At one section a guy blew through a corner and ended up in the Battenkill.

Two guys ended up with hypothermia. Good times. But we got views like this:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6f6bc6b02.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6c2cfaa80.jpeg

Trsnrtr 04-10-22 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22467197)
Last Sunday, I noticed that I couldn't shift in to the smallest cog. I don't know how it got screwed up, but I dinked around with the limit screw and it was fine.

Today, about 35 miles in to my ride, I noticed that I couldn't shift to any of the 4 smallest cogs.

I haven't looked yet, but I'm pretty sure that it's a problem that datlas is all too familiar with. :notamused:

Yep. That's how it starts with cable or shifter failure.

big john 04-10-22 06:51 AM

I am supposed to ride my age today since it’s my Bday, but feeling a bit achey from the shot, so more likely I will ride 57 Km instead of 57 miles.

Happy birthday!

Trsnrtr 04-10-22 06:52 AM

Riding your age is a silly tradition, anyway, IMNSHO.

Happy birthday! :bday:

big john 04-10-22 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22467472)
Yesterday was brutal. Up in the hills it was down to 35 with steady rain. Almost quit a couple of times but HTFU and finished.

The roads were super soft and needed a ton of extra effort. At one section a guy blew through a corner and ended up in the Battenkill.

Sounds like an adventure, for sure. How many hours on the bike?

DougRNS 04-10-22 06:59 AM

you share a birthday with my crazy-cool uncle who decided to race cars again like when he was a ute. He did it for a couple years and was mid pack with lousy equipment. This was was when he was in his early 70's!

Today he turns 78. He's now battling kidney failure. Cheers to both of you.:beer:

WhyFi 04-10-22 06:59 AM

Cancelled my Zwift account today, and it reminded me of why I'm not fond of subscription services.

Upon selecting "Cancel Membership," they ask for a reason why. I select, "I'll be riding outside," to which they helpfully reply, "why not Pause your membership, instead? That way, you can pick up where you left off and be sure not to lose your progress."

:rolleyes: Okay, fine - I'll "Pause Membership." Then they bring me to a screen with a slider. The text above the slider indicates that my Pause will begin on the 22nd and billing will conveniently resume on May 8th. Yeah, it defaults you to a Pause that'll skip one whole week. Okay... that's super dumb, and I don't like the prospect of billing resuming at a set date in the future - I'd rather manually resume it at that time - but that doesn't seem to be an option. Okay, the slider controls the numbers of weeks that the account will be paused, so maybe I'll set it for late November or early December... Yeah - no. The slider tops out at 8 weeks, even though it's likely that the vast majority of their subscriptions are winter months only and are probably paused for 8 or 9 months at a time. :notamused:

MFing subscription services always gotta try to sneak in as many billing cycles as they can. Back. Back. Cancel Membership. Sign Off. :mad:

phrantic09 04-10-22 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22467487)

Just under 5. Pace was a little slower than I wanted but the dirt roads were very soft.

phrantic09 04-10-22 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22467490)
Cancelled my Zwift account today, and it reminded me of why I'm not fond of subscription services.

Upon selecting "Cancel Membership," they ask for a reason why. I select, "I'll be riding outside," to which they helpfully reply, "why not Pause your membership, instead? That way, you can pick up where you left off and be sure not to lose your progress."

:rolleyes: Okay, fine - I'll "Pause Membership." Then they bring me to a screen with a slider. The text above the slider indicates that my Pause will begin on the 22nd and billing will conveniently resume on May 8th. Yeah, it defaults you to a Pause that'll skip one whole week. Okay... that's super dumb, and I don't like the prospect of billing resuming at a set date in the future - I'd rather manually resume it at that time - but that doesn't seem to be an option. Okay, the slider controls the numbers of weeks that the account will be paused, so maybe I'll set it for late November or early December... Yeah - no. The slider tops out at 8 weeks, even though it's likely that the vast majority of their subscriptions are winter months only and are probably paused for 8 or 9 months at a time. :notamused:

MFing subscription services always gotta try to sneak in as many billing cycles as they can. Back. Back. Cancel Membership. Sign Off. :mad:

I set a reminder to cancel in June if I can’t repause

phrantic09 04-10-22 07:07 AM

WhyFi seems like a good excuse to upgrade to electronic

WhyFi 04-10-22 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22467498)
WhyFi seems like a good excuse to upgrade to electronic

Ha. I'd love to, but it's been problem-free about 12k miles - that's pretty low on the hassle and expense front, and I don't possess the math (or deep wallet) to make the upgrade cost balance out.

DougRNS 04-10-22 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22467278)
I had a fun ride with the club but only about 55 miles. One friend commented that it was fun going fast in a bigger group again, we haven't done much of that for a couple years. We had a coffee stop and then split into smaller groups for the return. It was pretty hot on the one longer climb, I haven't had that feeling in a while. You know, slight tailwind makes you feel like you're baking, sweat running into the eyes, wishing for one more gear.

Some new guy came along. Grey hair, high dollar bike and kit, made some sketchy moves. We encouraged him to go with the slower group on the way back but he went with us and we lost him in the hills. We waited a long time, I hope he knew the way.

Maybe he was invisible. I hear that's a thing in NorCal. Maybe it's making its way to SoCal

DougRNS 04-10-22 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22467303)
None of my bikes are the same.

Bah Humbug 04-10-22 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22467487)

For a little while now I can shoot for running my age in miles for my birthday... week.

LAJ 04-10-22 07:19 AM

It rained last night.... Dreary and average.

Wordle 295 4/6

🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟨🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

bampilot06 04-10-22 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22467197)
Last Sunday, I noticed that I couldn't shift in to the smallest cog. I don't know how it got screwed up, but I dinked around with the limit screw and it was fine.

Today, about 35 miles in to my ride, I noticed that I couldn't shift to any of the 4 smallest cogs.

I haven't looked yet, but I'm pretty sure that it's a problem that datlas is all too familiar with. :notamused:

y’all should start a support group.

big john 04-10-22 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22467481)
Riding your age is a silly tradition, anyway, IMNSHO.

I like it but I haven't done a special ride for my b-day every year, since I've always done rides with miles above my age number anyway. After I turned 60 I started making an effort to do one of my favorite climbing rides for my b-day, just to make sure I can still knock one out. That is starting to prove challenging.:(

Wordle=5

Bah Humbug 04-10-22 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22467490)

Yup. Everyone wants that sweet inertial payment. One time Bulletproof emailed me to ask why I don't go for their recurring shipments when I order often and nearly went off on them. I have more subscriptions than I really like as it is.

bampilot06 04-10-22 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22467472)

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6f6bc6b02.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6c2cfaa80.jpeg

You can have it.

indyfabz 04-10-22 07:24 AM

Average Joe.

Wordle 295 4/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

big john 04-10-22 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22467516)
For a little while now I can shoot for running my age in miles for my birthday... week.

My now-retired LBS shop owner was an ultra runner. He did a bunch of centuries including mountain events but he said the hardest one was a 50 mile run in sand, mostly in river bottoms. He usually finished mid-pack.

Oddly, he was not fast on a bike. He had great endurance, obviously, but I guess he didn't care to go fast.

rjones28 04-10-22 07:35 AM

:bday:

Bah Humbug 04-10-22 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22467538)
My now-retired LBS shop owner was an ultra runner. He did a bunch of centuries including mountain events but he said the hardest one was a 50 mile run in sand, mostly in river bottoms. He usually finished mid-pack.

Oddly, he was not fast on a bike. He had great endurance, obviously, but I guess he didn't care to go fast.

Volume makes you faster... up to a point. I know a few ultra runners and for the most part, going shorter does NOT result in them going any faster. By comparison, in the volume range that 5kers to marathoners do, more volume DOES pretty much strictly make you faster. I'm not sure where the inflection point is, but it's over 50mpw.