Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

seedsbelize2 08-30-22 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22628808)

Have you figured out what pollinates it? Either a moth or a bat.

seedsbelize2 08-30-22 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22629295)
Traffic. Ugh.

Another good reason to live in public transport land. Merida traffic is bad, but in a different way. The city is compact, with tiny streets, so it jambs up quickly into gridlock. Being that it's so compact, it's easy to get around on foot. If one must drive, public parking lots abound.

datlas 08-30-22 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22629308)
Have you figured out what pollinates it? Either a moth or a bat.

Google says moths.

datlas 08-30-22 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22629326)
Another good reason to live in public transport land. Merida traffic is bad, but in a different way. The city is compact, with tiny streets, so it jambs up quickly into gridlock. Being that it's so compact, it's easy to get around on foot. If one must drive, public parking lots abound.

My wife and I had always planned to move from our suburban 1 acre 4BR3BA 2500SF home to an in-town 3BR1.5BA 1500SF home close to work so we could downsize to 1 car and I could walk/bike to work.

But real estate in West Chester, PA (where I work and the county seat of Chester county) is crazy so that downsize-move is postponed indefinitely.

Mojo31 08-30-22 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22629349)
My wife and I had always planned to move from our suburban 1 acre 4BR3BA 2500SF home to an in-town 3BR1.5BA 1500SF home close to work so we could downsize to 1 car and I could walk/bike to work.

But real estate in West Chester, PA (where I work and the county seat of Chester county) is crazy so that downsize-move is postponed indefinitely.

Lol, I keep telling my wife that when I stop working I want to downsize to a 2,000' house with a detached 6-car garage with a separate workout room. She looks at me like I have dementia or something.

Mojo31 08-30-22 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22629315)
But not as boring as the Froome years. I mean, those races became painful to watch. So much so that I gave it up for about five years. By the time i came back, most of the names I recognized were gone.

He's referring to a sailing site. I don't think Froome was ever featured there.

Mojo31 08-30-22 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22629294)
Things have gotten pretty boring there lately.

I have not logged into that site in well over 10 years, but am now getting weekly or more frequent emails driving to drive me to the site. Scooter must be hurting.

MoAlpha 08-30-22 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22629363)

There is some cycling content and even some WT commentary from time to time, but I don't remember any Froomage.

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22629364)
I have not logged into that site in well over 10 years, but am now getting weekly or more frequent emails driving to drive me to the site. Scooter must be hurting.

I posted a few messages last year when my friend Larry Howard died and there was a thread on him. I'm getting those emails too.

WhyFi 08-30-22 08:13 AM

After a day of walking around the fair, I've accepted that I like the idea of fair food more than the reality of fair food. First, the value sucks all the way around - I've always known that, but it's worse than ever, now. Then there's the question of whether or not the stuff is worth the calories, which is almost always a hard "no" for me, these days, too. And let's not forget the indigestion cost - oof. It's often high (I overheard some college age kid, in an "extreme" voiceover voice say "The MN State Fair - punish your toilet!!!" He's got a point, there :twitchy:).

In the end, I got back home hungry for something substantial, because I didn't have much and a lot of the stuff that I did have was sugar/fat/carbs with some nostalgia value (helllllo, mini donuts).

Also, fair goers are fat. Shocking.

datlas 08-30-22 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22629368)
After a day of walking around the fair, I've accepted that I like the idea of fair food more than the reality of fair food. First, the value sucks all the way around - I've always known that, but it's worse than ever, now. Then there's the question of whether or not the stuff is worth the calories, which is almost always a hard "no" for me, these days, too. And let's not forget the indigestion cost - oof. It's often high (I overheard some college age kid, in an "extreme" voiceover voice say "The MN State Fair - punish your toilet!!!" He's got a point, there :twitchy:).

In the end, I got back home hungry for something substantial, because I didn't have much and a lot of the stuff that I did have was sugar/fat/carbs with some nostalgia value (helllllo, mini donuts).

It's so noisy at the fair, but all your friends are there...

seedsbelize2 08-30-22 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22629363)

I tried hard to delete that post, once I realized that. At least on the laptop, that is a near impossible task. Better to just edit it somehow. But onnce the delete button has been pressed, and the site locks up, there is nothing to be done. And this reminds me of this, though in an indirect fashion.
​​​​​​

phrantic09 08-30-22 08:52 AM

Super surprising there. I always though fair goers were fit and trim

genejockey 08-30-22 09:02 AM

Above average
Wordle 437 3/6

🟨🟨🟨⬜🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Mojo31 08-30-22 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22629425)
Super surprising there. I always though fair goers were fit and trim

No, but water park people are. :rolleyes:

phrantic09 08-30-22 09:13 AM

I’ve been having a hard time putting out anywhere close to my normal power numbers the past few days - wondering if I have asymptomatic rona that’s slowing me down.

WhyFi 08-30-22 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22629463)
I’ve been having a hard time putting out anywhere close to my normal power numbers the past few days - wondering if I have asymptomatic rona that’s slowing me down.

Dunno about you, but I'm def feeling some fall allergies. Not super overt, most of the time, but it's there, particularly in terms of mildly restricted airways; the kind where you can still breathe, just not as well, so that the need to launch a snot rocket isn't necessarily obvious.

t2p 08-30-22 09:26 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f77a528fa.jpeg

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22629362)
Lol, I keep telling my wife that when I stop working I want to downsize to a 2,000' house with a detached 6-car garage with a separate workout room. She looks at me like I have dementia or something.

you almost described my neighbor's house - but his house is smaller - and the garage larger

he actually has a smaller garage within the garage ; the smaller portion is insulated and heated

his house / garage are at the top of the picture

Mojo31 08-30-22 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22629463)

I kind of went through that recently. Sunday finally felt like the good old days.

I didn't test though.

#antitester

Eric F 08-30-22 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22628824)
I watched it and that Spaniard did pretty well. That last attack was too much for him, though.
Mountain Bike World Championships 2022 [FULL RACE – XCO] – Tiz-Cycling

Serrano has been a consistent top performer on the World Cup circuit this year, and has shown some serious power in the final few K on a regular basis. However, Nino's downhill tech skills are hard to match, and it's not uncommon for that to be the deciding factor in his wins. Nino is currently tied for the all time record of World Cup race wins (33, Julian Absalon). He's been very close to breaking that record a couple of times this year. If he can maintain his current form, he has a good chance this weekend (free live coverage on redbull.tv).

phrantic09 08-30-22 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22629486)
Dunno about you, but I'm def feeling some fall allergies. Not super overt, most of the time, but it's there, particularly in terms of mildly restricted airways; the kind where you can still breathe, just not as well, so that the need to launch a snot rocket isn't necessarily obvious.

I always have exertion based rhinitis, so hard to say

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22629492)
I kind of went through that recently. Sunday finally felt like the good old days.

I didn't test though.

#antitester

Don’t want to kill Schroedinger’s cat

Eric F 08-30-22 09:37 AM

In my limited observations, this seems like a pretty universal experience at State and County fairs across the nation.

Mojo31 08-30-22 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22629487)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f77a528fa.jpeg

you almost described my neighbor's house - but his house is smaller - and the garage larger

he actually has a smaller garage within the garage ; the smaller portion is insulated and heated

his house / garage are at the top of the picture

My wife would not go for anything so rural. She likes having neighbors.

The garage I mentioned would have to have an air conditioned workout room. It would be useless from April to November otherwise. The floor space for cars, bikes, water toys, etc. would not require air or heat, but would have to have a nice finish. All of that would be required because I would likely be sleeping out there if I ever required her to make such a move.

Mojo31 08-30-22 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22628540)
Nope, unless we adopt the TimTak position he uses. (almost)
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5c35650f02.jpg

Looks like he's sporting some fancy new RD: New SRAM derailleur spotted at MTB World Championships - BikeRadar

seedsbelize2 08-30-22 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22629451)
No, but water park people are. :rolleyes:

One of my last waterpark experiences, probably 35 years ago, we were there for the full day. Right around noon there was a thunderstorm. We had the place practically to ourselves the rest of the day. Those tall(antique I'm sure) waterslides were my fave. The limit to how many times I could go down was how fast I could get back up the ladder. And now that I think of it, the same thing happened on a canoe trip. We could never figure out where everybody went, but they were gone.

Eric F 08-30-22 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22629558)
Looks like he's sporting some fancy new RD: New SRAM derailleur spotted at MTB World Championships - BikeRadar

Yep. There has been some buzz about the new SRAM drivetrain on a MTB forum I frequent, starting last week when the top riders' bikes started showing up in the pits in Les Gets. My concern is the potential for frame damage if the derailleur gets torn off. The reason that the bike industry went to replaceable hangers was that they are sacrificial.