Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rolling resistance ratings and tire wear (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1253936)

Tomm Willians 06-22-22 09:45 AM

Rolling resistance ratings and tire wear

I’m curious if there are any opinions/experience here concerning how tire wear effects rolling resistance?
As my tires develop flat areas over time, I can’t help but think that it must have at least some level of increased resistance?
Although they may still be safe to ride perhaps they become “performance compromised”?

SpedFast 06-22-22 09:48 AM

We all become 'performance compromised' over time. Some(things) more than others. :twitchy:

WhyFi 06-22-22 09:49 AM

As the casing gets thinner, it's more likely to be more supple and roll better, rather than worse.

Barry2 06-22-22 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tomm Willians (Post 22550384)
As my tires develop flat areas over time,

Assuming not a "fixed" gear bike...
Rim brakes ?

Barry

stevel610 06-22-22 09:57 AM

Check out the bicyclerollingresistance.com series on GP5000S for a good demonstration of rolling resistance as tires wear.

rsbob 06-22-22 10:19 AM

Am curious about the flat areas? I take it you are not skidding the rear tire so is it due to unequal material on your tires wearing faster? What brand and type of tires? Very perplexing since I have ridden for decades on all sorts of rubber and never seen this.

Koyote 06-22-22 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22550389)
As the casing gets thinner, it's more likely to be more supple and roll better, rather than worse.

Also: on my gravel bike, I run tires with little knobs. As they wear down on the center, they get faster -- at least, that is my subjective impression.

WhyFi 06-22-22 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22550431)
Am curious about the flat areas? I take it you are not skidding the rear tire so is it due to unequal material on your tires wearing faster? What brand and type of tires? Very perplexing since I have ridden for decades on all sorts of rubber and never seen this.

I assume that he's talking about the squaring off of the rear tire profile.

t2p 06-22-22 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by stevel610 (Post 22550398)
Check out the bicyclerollingresistance.com series on GP5000S for a good demonstration of rolling resistance as tires wear.

if I recall correctly - rolling resistance increases as the tire wears - but at a certain (later) point the resistance will begin to decrease (but not to the level of a new tire)

ThermionicScott 06-22-22 11:05 AM

I have been idly curious about that, since a person running their tire pressure higher to try to get lower rolling resistance will get more squaring off of the tread. How does that affect the rolling resistance versus a tire that has worn down more evenly thanks to lower pressures...

79pmooney 06-22-22 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Barry2 (Post 22550397)
Rim brakes ?

Barry

I believe he's talking about the wide flattish center strip that tires, especially rear tires, wear to just from rolling, not the skid patches from braking.

Tomm Willians 06-22-22 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Barry2 (Post 22550397)
Rim brakes ?

Barry

Correct on both

Tomm Willians 06-22-22 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22550464)

Correct

Tomm Willians 06-22-22 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 22550585)
I believe he's talking about the wide flattish center strip that tires, especially rear tires, wear to just from rolling, not the skid patches from braking.

Correct

rsbob 06-22-22 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22550464)

Bet you are right, but what threw me in his description was the phrase “flat areas”. All my tires wear uniformity and not in ‘areas’. Semantics.

KerryIrons 06-23-22 02:55 PM

This is correct. Less tread rubber to deflect means lower hysteresis losses. It sometimes amazes me how people tend to draw the exact opposite conclusion of what the data show, and what logic dictates.

t2p 06-23-22 08:52 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dc04e0969.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...562aa712f.jpeg

koala logs 06-23-22 10:33 PM

Before I had this truly crap cheap Wanda king tires. But the walls are so thin it actually had much lower rolling resistance than my current Gravelking plus tires!! I can cruise a couple mph faster on it but flats so frequently I had to let it go. The walls felt like paper, crazy thin, while the gravelking plus felt like thick leader hide.

Sy Reene 06-24-22 05:41 AM

Interesting. So a tire is generally at its slowest about 2/3rds of the way through it's lifetime. And for whatever reason, wider tires are impacted to larger degree than narrower tires (not significant at maybe a 1w difference, but curious).

RChung 06-24-22 08:45 AM

Tests by Al Morrison and Tom Anhalt show that brand new out-of-the-box tires have slightly higher Crr than a tire that's been run for 40 or 50 km, but that over time Crr slightly increases. The casing doesn't usually get thinner: the tread compound does. The bottom line is that when racing, we often "break-in" new tires for 40 or 50 km. Some of the lowest Crr racing tires are pretty fragile with very thin treads, so if you use them too much you'll flat during a race and the rolling resistance goes way way up.

cyclintom 06-24-22 09:37 AM

The Vittoria Corsa's I had showed a very weird wear pattern. They didn't wear the outside longitudinal line tread but the tread thickness of the tire grew quite thin before the tread started wearing. For a long while I thought that the tread wasn't going to wear and then suddenly it wore down very rapidly.

ThermionicScott 06-24-22 01:44 PM

I wonder if the initial higher RR has to do with the tire taking a slightly different shape when inflated on a rim than it had in the mold, and then break-in is the casing having loosened up a bit to assume the correct shape. The tread theoretically ought to become more flexible as it gets thinner, but it must depend on whether it gets harder first... my takeaway is that you are probably best served with the thinnest tread you can get away with, especially if you take a lot of calendar time to wear tires out (like I do.)

KerryIrons 06-25-22 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by koala logs (Post 22552321)
Before I had this truly crap cheap Wanda king tires. But the walls are so thin it actually had much lower rolling resistance than my current Gravelking plus tires!! I can cruise a couple mph faster on it but flats so frequently I had to let it go. The walls felt like paper, crazy thin, while the gravelking plus felt like thick leader hide.

If you actually are 2 mph faster on your old tires then your current ones are the very definition of a crap tire. Of course it is much more likely that there is no where near this kind of difference in tire performance. We get all kinds of "my tires feel faster" anecdotes but people somehow never manage to put a stopwatch on their rides and provide actual data.

The initial increase in CRR for new tires could well be that once the tire is out in the real world, there is additional stiffening of the tread rubber due to oxidation.

Steamer 06-25-22 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by KerryIrons (Post 22551936)
This is correct. Less tread rubber to deflect means lower hysteresis losses. It sometimes amazes me how people tend to draw the exact opposite conclusion of what the data show, and what logic dictates.

So where's the data?

The data present here supports the opposite of your assertion.

Toadmeister 06-25-22 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by SpedFast (Post 22550388)
We all become 'performance compromised' over time. Some(things) more than others. :twitchy:

That’s not what your mother said last night, Trebeck!