Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

gster 11-11-19 01:23 PM


Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 21202513)
That seat and forward position! I can't look. But I can't look away, either.

I see a lot of bikes with the seat mounted that way.
Even in the old catalogues....
Mine are always set back as far as I can.

gster 11-11-19 01:34 PM

What is It?
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2e1fdf7962.jpg
Listed here (Toronto) as a German single speed, this bike clearly has an unconnected S/A hub.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ddd1364b61.jpg
22" frame, priced at $100.00.
The rims look good. EA1's?
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cbff096e95.jpg
I can't make out the headbadge.

clubman 11-11-19 01:37 PM


Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 21201452)
Did the Huret come with red pulleys? I wonder if those are a good quality aftermarket piece.

Yes, the Allvit had red toothless pulleys and they were usually found OEM on Raleigh rebrand 5 and 10 speeds around '71. I'm surprised to see one in the late '70's.

brennie 11-11-19 03:09 PM

cool bike!

Salubrious 11-11-19 06:06 PM

I ran across a Fleetwing this weekend. 1960, black. Fenders are similar to Raleigh, but have wire stays. This one is a 21" frame. I'm cleaning up the lightweight rust on it right now. Not sure what to do with it but the $20.00 it cost made it worth it- it had a Prestube Minor rack!

oldroads 11-12-19 05:21 AM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 21204747)
I ran across a Fleetwing this weekend. 1960, black. Fenders are similar to Raleigh, but have wire stays. This one is a 21" frame. I'm cleaning up the lightweight rust on it right now. Not sure what to do with it but the $20.00 it cost made it worth it- it had a Prestube Minor rack!

Great score!

gster 11-12-19 06:14 AM

Looks like the bike riding season has come to an end

here in Toronto....


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4091852c46.jpg

gster 11-12-19 07:03 AM


Originally Posted by HPL (Post 21202712)
Not sure as to the originality of those pulleys. I have no reference other than the Sprite I have, and that has a Sun Tour RD. That being said, I have seen in catalogue images of Sprites with red pulleys (unknown if sealed or sleeve bearings) from 1972-78, I believe all used Huret derailleurs, so they did have red pulleys as OE for a few years. I've used an aftermarket set as replacement for Campy pulleys, Bullseye w/sealed bearings, which have performed without any issues for 30 years (with proper maintenance), probably better ones out there now (not counting ceramic); but I've seen cheap sealed bearing pulleys on the market for less than $8 a pair, alloy and "drilled" of Chinese build, quality unknown. I'll find out during tear down if the pulleys are original Huret or not.

Here's a nice Sprite that was mine for a short time....
Not my style but too nice to pass up.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8acbdc42e3.jpg
The Huret derailleur has somewhat red pulleys..
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5aff014d2f.jpg
I think a red stripe always makes something go faster...
Like a pair of PF Flyers!
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8dc5c80d7e.jpg

noglider 11-12-19 11:01 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21202418)
1959 Italian Legnano, fitted with a SA 3 speed hub.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...33eac39aa2.jpg

@ascherer, take note.

ascherer 11-12-19 11:16 AM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 21205585)
@ascherer, take note.

Ding! Ding! Ding! That's the idea...

HPL 11-12-19 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gster (Post 21205226)
The Huret derailleur has somewhat red pulleys..


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 21204389)
Yes, the Allvit had red toothless pulleys and they were usually found OEM on Raleigh rebrand 5 and 10 speeds around '71. I'm surprised to see one in the late '70's.

Upon closer inspection, the solid red pulleys are sleeve bearing type with teeth and of plastic construction, unbranded on pulley. The derailleur itself has the same body as the Huret Super Touring; but with a substantially different cage, not just shorter. This is from Velobase so I guess I'll have to add mine to the mix being there is no example presently in the database. Super Touring RD shown as mid '70s- early '80s so it fits the time frame for that design vice the cage. I'm still going with a late '76 -'77 frame based on the "green with black" ('77 models) paint scheme and the hub dates. I found no reference to those colors for any years prior to '77. The red pulleys are shown installed on the '78 RD, but it could be a stock photo used for multiple catalogues and actual bike may have had a different RD, Huret, but different model. Of course if I could find a serial number it may help; nothing on drops, BB, or seat lug.

clubman 11-12-19 12:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=HPL;21205734 I'm still going with a late '76 -'77 frame based on the "green with black" ('77 models) paint scheme and the hub dates. I found no reference to those colors for any years prior to '77. [/QUOTE]

Raleigh did funny things with colour and decal schemes. The circa 71 - 73 rebranded 10 speed Gliders came with black and bronze green paint, as did some of the Grand Prix models, at least in Canada. Early models were Huret, later becoming Simplex

gster 11-12-19 03:00 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 21205781)
Raleigh did funny things with colour and decal schemes. The circa 71 - 73 rebranded 10 speed Gliders came with black and bronze green paint, as did some of the Grand Prix models, at least in Canada. Early models were Huret, later becoming Simplex

There's a good story about those bikes re-branded a Centurions...
Wikipedia says:

According to Frank J. Berto,[2][3] Raleigh Industries of America had been looking at a Japanese source for their Grand Prix model. Raleigh America ordered 2,000 bicycles from Tano and Company of Osaka but their parent company in England, TI-Raleigh, disapproved concerned that the Tano-built bikes were too well made and would have outsold their own British bikes.

Raleigh's sales agent, Mitchell Weiner, who was reading The New Centurions at the time, took receipt of the bikes, placed Centurion decals on the bikes and marketed them successfully, subsequently forming Western State Imports after merging with Rick Wilson's company, Wil-Go of Santa Clara, California. Because the bikes had all been intended as Raleigh Grand Prix models, as Centurions, they carried the colors of the Raleigh America Grand Prix model.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...444be6dcf4.jpg

gster 11-12-19 03:16 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6a0883a56d.jpg
This bike is a classic 2-4 Taxi...
Bars turned up to hold a 24 case of beer (Canadian or Labatts "50")
Usually ridden by a shirtless, mullet haired, jean wearing,
tattoo covered, unemployed, no drivers licence, mid 30's,
ex jailbird.
Often seen riding with another bike (stolen) at his side.

Ged117 11-13-19 08:52 AM

Picking up this 1956 Sports with SW hub, original B66, and front hub oiler from fellow BF member WGB this Saturday (see thread https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...s-3-speed.html ) I'll take some more photos once it is home. I have a '56 AW in the parts bin just in case the SW doesn't prove reliable after a rebuild. Rooting around in a local bin, I managed to find a dynohub from 1947 (with the black outer section, like on my 1950 AG hub). While I get the bike cleaned, serviced, waxed, and ready for spring (alongside her 'crappy day or crappy neighbourhood' rough-looking blue 1972 Sports), I also want to build the dynohub into the front wheel so she can have a LED light system like I'm putting together for my Superbe. As you can see from the photo, the bike has the Raleigh heron mount for the front headlamp. Does anyone have a period lamp / tail light looking for a home?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...edbb492e30.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...544cb4cae1.jpg

BigChief 11-13-19 06:13 PM


Originally Posted by Ged117 (Post 21206847)
Picking up this 1956 Sports with SW hub, original B66, and front hub oiler from fellow BF member WGB this Saturday (see thread https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...s-3-speed.html ) I'll take some more photos once it is home. I have a '56 AW in the parts bin just in case the SW doesn't prove reliable after a rebuild. Rooting around in a local bin, I managed to find a dynohub from 1947 (with the black outer section, like on my 1950 AG hub). While I get the bike cleaned, serviced, waxed, and ready for spring (alongside her 'crappy day or crappy neighbourhood' rough-looking blue 1972 Sports), I also want to build the dynohub into the front wheel so she can have a LED light system like I'm putting together for my Superbe. As you can see from the photo, the bike has the Raleigh heron mount for the front headlamp. Does anyone have a period lamp / tail light looking for a home?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...edbb492e30.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...544cb4cae1.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this come along. Very nice bike. Might be good to find a different rim and build a separate wheel with the dynohub . Finding early 50s lamps might take a while.

paulb_in_bkln 11-13-19 06:31 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21205936)
There's a good story about those bikes re-branded a Centurions...
Wikipedia says:

According to Frank J. Berto,[2]
[3] Raleigh Industries of America had been looking at a Japanese source for their Grand Prix model. Raleigh America ordered 2,000 bicycles from Tano and Company of Osaka but their parent company in England, TI-Raleigh, disapproved concerned that the Tano-built bikes were too well made and would have outsold their own British bikes.

Raleigh's sales agent, Mitchell Weiner, who was reading The New Centurions at the time, took receipt of the bikes, placed Centurion decals on the bikes and marketed them successfully, subsequently forming Western State Imports after merging with Rick Wilson's company, Wil-Go of Santa Clara, California. Because the bikes had all been intended as Raleigh Grand Prix models, as Centurions, they carried the colors of the Raleigh America Grand Prix model.

That's a good story. Centurion turned into a very successful brand.

Ged117 11-13-19 07:38 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 21207756)
Looking forward to seeing this come along. Very nice bike. Might be good to find a different rim and build a separate wheel with the dynohub . Finding early 50s lamps might take a while.

Thanks Chief. I was thinking along those lines too. I think a 26 x 1 3/8 CR18 for the dynohub would be a great idea, and the '56 AW I have could be built into a 40h CR18 for the rear. I'm excited to tinker with the SW. Being such an early model, perhaps it will prove too touchy for a reliable daily rider, but I'm going to try rebuilding it first to see.

Sturmey lights appear on eBay every so often, but attract a lot of interest and crazy prices. Since I have the dynohub and it is 73 years old, it'll need a rebuild and polishing. I imagine the lighting system will be put together early in '20. Getting the bike shined up comes first. It is going to be an interesting winter for bike projects. I'm cleaning up the '56 Sports, the '72 Sports, finishing up the light system for the Superbe, and putting my IGH Peugeot all together so it can take me to work on decent winter days when the paths are clear. I'll post pictures of the '56 when it is being taken apart.

nlerner 11-14-19 06:35 AM

^ I think that shifter would have been found on a Raleigh Chopper.

gster 11-14-19 10:24 AM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 21208231)
^ I think that shifter would have been found on a Raleigh Chopper.

Sturmey-Archer Heritage :: History

Miradaman 11-14-19 10:41 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8239c3c44b.jpg
Just acquired an English 3-speed a few weeks ago, a 1964 Hercules, built I believe by Raleigh. I do like the way it rides but it's entirely too small for me and I was hoping to sell it for a profit.

gster 11-14-19 12:41 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e3add1d18a.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...529d840c01.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5a8e4fc6d6.jpg

gster 11-14-19 12:42 PM


Originally Posted by Miradaman (Post 21208604)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8239c3c44b.jpg
Just acquired an English 3-speed a few weeks ago, a 1964 Hercules, built I believe by Raleigh. I do like the way it rides but it's entirely too small for me and I was hoping to sell it for a profit.

You don't often hear vintage Raleigh and profit in the same sentence......

Miradaman 11-14-19 12:46 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21208864)
You don't often hear vintage Raleigh and profit in the same sentence......

I was starting to suspect that. But I only paid $25. If I end up breaking even that would be good enough, lesson learned...

clubman 11-14-19 12:49 PM


Originally Posted by brianhamp (Post 21207994)
Does anyone know the model # or year of the Sturmey Archer 3 speed shifter. Been searching for awhile and cant find any info on it?
It is for sale on Ebuy but nothing for info. I really like it and would like to know more.
Thank you
Brian

Judging by similar models, the one you're interested in is missing a shifter knob or handle. Regardless of scarcity, these parts are rarely of significant value, so caveat emptor


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.