Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

gster 05-30-20 07:00 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...12850c77ea.jpg
A typical Canadian built CCM 3 speed.

CCM turned out thousands of these Sturmey Archer equipped bikes in the 60's and early 70's before they
switched to Shimano components.
I've had a few of these over the years and they don't seem as refined as their British counterparts.
Perhaps it's the one piece crank that I find unattractive.
The cables on this one are all over the place....

JaccoW 05-31-20 11:56 AM

Just wanted to share my Koga-Miyata SilverAce here as I think some of you might enjoy this. :)

It's a Dutch market model with a 5-speed IGH + dynohub with 90mm drum brakes, a lightweight butted frame and some modern touches that I tried to keep sort of classic looking.
The build thread can be found here.

http://i.imgur.com/ahWkITd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/123FVPJ.jpg

ascherer 05-31-20 02:37 PM


Originally Posted by JaccoW (Post 21507547)
Just wanted to share my Koga-Miyata SilverAce here as I think some of you might enjoy this. :)

It's a Dutch market model with a 5-speed IGH + dynohub with 90mm drum brakes, a lightweight butted frame and some modern touches that I tried to keep sort of classic looking.
The build thread can be found here.

http://i.imgur.com/ahWkITd.jpg

Bikes like this were my inspiration for the build above. I wish the US market would accommodate more bikes like this.

JaccoW 05-31-20 05:18 PM


Originally Posted by ascherer (Post 21507803)
Bikes like this were my inspiration for the build above. I wish the US market would accommodate more bikes like this.

I think there could be but it's just not something the US is used to. Most of Europe grew up surrounded by bikes like this and B2C companies like Veloretti are still putting out bikes like this, though made from aluminum.

That's a very nice bike and I really like the touch of the wrapped tubing. How does it hold up? I would be afraid of rust forming underneath.

clubman 05-31-20 06:07 PM

"hartstikke leuk"

I love the bike but off-topic, can I send you a couple of old Mac ALPS keyboards for modification? :D

JaccoW 05-31-20 07:29 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 21508137)

"hartstikke leuk"

I love the bike but off-topic, can I send you a couple of old Mac ALPS keyboards for modification? :D

Haha, I have been out of that hobby for a while outside of the ones I already have. Are you looking for something like this or just just bring it into the age of USB with a built in converter? ;)

https://miro.medium.com/max/1400/1*-...EbWTmy3wQ.jpeg

ascherer 05-31-20 07:42 PM


Originally Posted by JaccoW (Post 21508058)
That's a very nice bike and I really like the touch of the wrapped tubing. How does it hold up? I would be afraid of rust forming underneath.

Thanks. I built it during the winter to commute in NYC...and I commute from one room to another for now. I rode it to work all of one day before COVID It goes shopping weekly and occasionally on an after work ride of 10-15 km. I wrapped the frame to protect what's left of the original finish from getting damaged by racks when I lock up. My commute is just under 8 km each way so I don't think any rain would get under the leather.

thumpism 06-02-20 08:01 PM

I bet the hub is still good.
https://advrider.com/f/attachments/6...-jpeg.2344473/

cudak888 06-02-20 08:04 PM

Frame is bent.

-Kurt

thumpism 06-02-20 08:15 PM


Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 21512100)
Frame is bent.

Hell, everything is bent.
https://advrider.com/f/attachments/7...-jpeg.2344472/

Ballenxj 06-02-20 09:13 PM


Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 21512094)
I bet the hub is still good.

That's amazing! I've never seen a bike encapsulated like that by a tree before. I wonder how long that took?

clubman 06-03-20 07:18 AM

It's a post war CCM so 70 years max., if it wasn't contrived as an art installation much later.

gster 06-03-20 11:37 AM


Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 21512111)

Advertised as "Tires hold air!"

dweenk 06-03-20 11:39 AM

But it is a great bike lock.

camjr 06-03-20 01:03 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21513104)
Advertised as "Tires hold air!"

With some patina and wooden accessories...

dirtman 06-03-20 01:42 PM

Got this this morning from a scrap guy, trade a bucket of empty beer cans for it, I guess he figured a couple of pounds of aluminum cans was worth more than steel bicycle?

I'm not sure if this is a mix match of odd parts or just an oddly built bike.
The wheels are Endrick style, vs. the normal Westrick rims, the rear hub is dated 2/65.
The fenders are chrome, beat up a bit but chrome.
The bike is metallic brown, which from what I can tell wasn't in the 1965 catalog.
I also don't see any pics of chrome fenders either.
Both fenders are identical to the normal Raleigh fenders, including a faint, partially rubbed off Raleigh Heron on the back fender above the reflector.
The earliest I see a brown sports is 1970 but since it don't have the Anniversary head badge, I'm thinking it's not likely older than 1971?
The tires are Dunlop, but have ribbed tread,
Its got a cheap chrome chain guard on it which makes me think someone either built this from bits and pieces or they really liked chrome. I've got an extra Raleigh Sports Chain guard but its green not brown. (Anything original though is better than that cheap chrome chain guard.
The bike is extremely dirty and speckled with rust spots all over but it looks like it'll clean up nicely with a little elbow grease. I'm not sure how I feel about the chrome fenders. They look out of place on a bike that normally has painted to match fenders.
The tires don't hold air for long, I pumped them up this morning and their almost flat again but I was able to ride the bike, so I know the breaks work and hub shifts okay.
It'll just need some new tubes and likely a pair of tires.


https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a40efe08c3.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8209f18cc8.jpg

JJScaliger 06-03-20 07:26 PM

3 speed commuting
 
Did my usual commute yesterday and was treated to this at the end.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...68c78f7655.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3d71db57a9.jpg

Ballenxj 06-03-20 07:36 PM


Originally Posted by JJScaliger (Post 21513952)
Did my usual commute yesterday and was treated to this at the end.
<-------->

Bummer Dude! :eek:

gster 06-04-20 06:52 AM


Originally Posted by dirtman (Post 21513392)
Got this this morning from a scrap guy, trade a bucket of empty beer cans for it, I guess he figured a couple of pounds of aluminum cans was worth more than steel bicycle?

I'm not sure if this is a mix match of odd parts or just an oddly built bike.
The wheels are Endrick style, vs. the normal Westrick rims, the rear hub is dated 2/65.
The fenders are chrome, beat up a bit but chrome.
The bike is metallic brown, which from what I can tell wasn't in the 1965 catalog.
I also don't see any pics of chrome fenders either.
Both fenders are identical to the normal Raleigh fenders, including a faint, partially rubbed off Raleigh Heron on the back fender above the reflector.
The earliest I see a brown sports is 1970 but since it don't have the Anniversary head badge, I'm thinking it's not likely older than 1971?
The tires are Dunlop, but have ribbed tread,
Its got a cheap chrome chain guard on it which makes me think someone either built this from bits and pieces or they really liked chrome. I've got an extra Raleigh Sports Chain guard but its green not brown. (Anything original though is better than that cheap chrome chain guard.
The bike is extremely dirty and speckled with rust spots all over but it looks like it'll clean up nicely with a little elbow grease. I'm not sure how I feel about the chrome fenders. They look out of place on a bike that normally has painted to match fenders.
The tires don't hold air for long, I pumped them up this morning and their almost flat again but I was able to ride the bike, so I know the breaks work and hub shifts okay.
It'll just need some new tubes and likely a pair of tires.


https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a40efe08c3.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8209f18cc8.jpg

I'd say that was a great deal!
Chrome fenders could be from a Canadian spec'd Glider or Supercycle.
Perhaps a Scorcher?

gster 06-04-20 07:01 AM

A New Raleigh Tourist
What's wrong with this bike?
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...38706d72e4.jpg
Aesthetically, I find this bike unattractive...
-The frame geometry is too upright
-the tubing looks too big
-I don't like the fat tires
-the wheelbase looks short
-the handle bar stem looks massive

The colour and saddle are nice.
That's all I've got to say about that....

Ballenxj 06-04-20 07:11 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21514518)
A New Raleigh Tourist
What's wrong with this bike?
<-- Pic -->
Aesthetically, I find this bike unattractive...
-The frame geometry is too upright
-the tubing looks too big
-I don't like the fat tires
-the wheelbase looks short
-the handle bar stem looks massive

The colour and saddle are nice.
That's all I've got to say about that....

Looks like it's been modernized with disk brakes, and twist grip shift. Is it a three, five, or eight speed hub? And did you buy it?

gster 06-04-20 07:19 AM


Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 21514528)
Looks like it's been modernized with disk brakes, and twist grip shift. Is it a three, five, or eight speed hub? And did you buy it?

It's a 3 speed and I did not buy it.

Ballenxj 06-04-20 07:27 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21514540)
It's a 3 speed and I did not buy it.

Thanks.

JohnDThompson 06-04-20 07:27 AM


Originally Posted by JJScaliger (Post 21513952)
Did my usual commute yesterday and was treated to this at the end.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...68c78f7655.jpg

At least you caught it at the end, rather than having it fail in the middle of the commute someplace really inconvenient.

dirtman 06-04-20 01:08 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21514510)
I'd say that was a great deal!
Chrome fenders could be from a Canadian spec'd Glider or Supercycle.
Perhaps a Scorcher?

Not sure on the fenders. The fender braces are solid aluminum, sort of half round in shape. The sheetmetal is identical to a painted set on any other Raleigh or Raleigh built bike with one exception, these are 3mm wider overall. The small chrome tip is the same as well.
The chainguard is a cheap Wald replacement, not sure why, its got two tabs up front for the hockey stick shaped Raleigh guard on it.
I pumped up the tires again and for some reason they held air this time, when I pumped them up yesterday when I first brought it home they were flat in a few hours. They seem to be fine now a day later though.
They need to be replaced, they're so dry rotted they crackle and crunch as you ride. The rear tire is shedding bits of rubber off the sidewalls leaving just patches of the inner cords.
The chrome looks like it'll clean up great and the wheels are pretty much perfect with the only issue being that the spokes are sort of black in color and it won't rub off. Its as if the zinc coating turned dark, mostly just on the rear wheel.
I removed the rusty, partially seized chain and stuck it in a bath of Evapo-Rust last night and by this afternoon it was rust free and every link was freed up. I hosed it off, blew it off with air and oiled it up. I'll have to go through the BB, Headset and hubs but so far its looking like decent bike.
I'm guessing someone likely took a 1971-72 Raleigh Sports frame set and built it up with the parts from something from 1965. Maybe a lesser brand like a Hercules, Robin Hood, or such.
The pump cleaned up pretty nice too, its got some pitting but its presentable and it still pumps are, although the hose isn't likely long for this world.
I may just strip the bike down and take all the chrome outside and hose it down with some wire wheel cleaner to brighten it up in a hurry, its faster than waiting for the Evapo-Rust to work and it leaves a much shinier result, you just have to get after it faster once its dry so it don't rust up right away.
Even the saddle is in decent shape, the cover is unripped, but I found the Brooks metal tag tied to the bottom of the inside of the saddle with some string.

The padded vinyl saddle is most like what you would see on a newer Sprite 10 speed, the fenders are still an unknown, the rims are Dunlop Endrick style, the rear hub is dated 2-65, and they didn't show brown as a paint option until 1970, and the tires are not Raleigh branded but Dunlop Sprite branded and likely older than the wheelset.
The kickstand is steel, its not Wald but similar, but marked "Made in England". I'm not sure if its just a sloppy poor design or just the wrong stand for the bike, it flips too far forward to be stable and if the handle bars flop over, the bike teeter's on falling over on the left side as it pivots around the stand with the back wheel nearly off the ground. It folds up nicely but goes too far forward and reaches too far outward. I may swap it for a twin leg center stand.

The same guy came back today with several piles of old bike parts, one is a 20 gallon trash can full or bike stems and kickstands, which are a combination of old road bike and British bike parts, and two old TV boxes full of old chrome British crank sets, and two 30 gallon kitchen trash cans full of miscellaneous used bike parts that have been bagged in super heavy zip lock bags and marked with various bike model names. He says there's likely going to be more, he's cleaning out some old garage somewhere but wouldn't say where. I gave him another bucket full of old cans. (I can keep trading old aluminum cans for bike parts for a long time, I've been saving aluminum cans for 30 years, there's a dozen or so 55 gallon barrels down back full of crushed cans).
I asked if there were any more bikes and he said there's a few hanging in the rafters he hasn't gotten to yet. I told him to bring any bike parts here before going to the scrap yard.


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5c27aec1ac.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1be3e5ed81.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...748dcf0c49.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:02 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.