Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

WhyFi 05-06-20 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21458835)
Hey, a clubmate of mine is looking for new wheels. He has an old pair of Williams system 30 that he really likes, and he asked me about getting new wheels from Williams. I had to break the bad news to him that Williams Wheels/Cycles seems to be kaput. Last year Keith Williams was looking for a buyer and I don’t think it happened. Their website is gone.

I told my friend to look at wheels from Boyd and Flo. Any other suggestions? I am pretty sure he wants non-disc, non-tubeless clinchers that are a (wait for it!) good bang for the buck. I asked if he is looking for alloy or crabon rims, have not heard back.

It's going to considerably cut down on his options if he actually wants rims that aren't tubeless compatible (as opposed to getting rims that are compatible, but just not running them tubeless).

datlas 05-06-20 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21458883)
It's going to considerably cut down on his options if he actually wants rims that aren't tubeless compatible (as opposed to getting rims that are compatible, but just not running them tubeless).

I expect he is ok with tubeless compatible but believe he will be using tubes.

WhyFi 05-06-20 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21458703)
Ditto.

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21458731)
same

Well, at least I'm not the only one. One of these days, I'm going to start putting together routes of varying length and heading out/returning from different directions so that I'll have options to choose from based on time available and prevailing winds.

...but it's prolly not going to happen before my next ride. :o

WhyFi 05-06-20 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21458888)
I expect he is ok with tubeless compatible but believe he will be using tubes.

Does it seem like he'd like to stick with boutique-ish builders? Maybe check out November's wares, too?

Otherwise, HED Ardennes are still the gold standard in an alloy rim, there's Fulcrums at UK sellers available for a song. Also, their inventory is ever changing, but TheProsCloset often has some really good deals. You've just gotta be careful though - if it looks like a screaming deal, make sure they're not tubular; they seem to have a lot of those come through their doors.

phrantic09 05-06-20 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21458738)
After going through the pain of swapping her P1s between bikes until I nearly screwed up the threads, I’m not a fan of swapping pedals over and over. DCR had the same comment eventually. At least not every week. PMs have gotten affordable enough I’d rather just put one on each bike. I know not everyone can (and I have fewer bikes than most here).

My advice on the Vectors is to get a supply of the batteries ahead of time.

it would likely be just once in the winter when I swap to a trainer bike (unless I get myself a DD trainer before winter)

good to know on the batteries

phrantic09 05-06-20 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21458893)
Well, at least I'm not the only one. One of these days, I'm going to start putting together routes of varying length and heading out/returning from different directions so that I'll have options to choose from based on time available and prevailing winds.

mover the past couple of days I made new routes to account for the wind, but my “daily” route is essentially a loop in the hills around Saratoga lake that’s about 25-30 miles depending on which roads I take.

kissTheApex 05-06-20 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21458738)
PMs have gotten affordable enough I’d rather just put one on each bike. I know not everyone can (and I have fewer bikes than most here).

Well, it looks like IQ2s are slowly inching away from “vaporware” status and if they keep to the price point they’ve advertised till now, they might be the most affordable dual powermeters out there.

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21458835)
Hey, a clubmate of mine is looking for new wheels. He has an old pair of Williams system 30 that he really likes, and he asked me about getting new wheels from Williams. I had to break the bad news to him that Williams Wheels/Cycles seems to be kaput. Last year Keith Williams was looking for a buyer and I don’t think it happened. Their website is gone.

I told my friend to look at wheels from Boyd and Flo. Any other suggestions? I am pretty sure he wants non-disc, non-tubeless clinchers that are a (wait for it!) good bang for the buck. I asked if he is looking for alloy or crabon rims, have not heard back.

Light Bicycling might be an option, buyers seem to be happy with them out on the 41.

abshipp 05-06-20 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21458893)

Getting bored with my usual routes has been one of the bigger motivators to ride longer distances that I've had this year.

There's lots of roads I like down south of town, but those would require driving to the start point, which I'm not a huge fan of, especially with the fendered bike which doesn't work with my bike rack. I have to use tie down straps to hold it upright in the bed of my truck :o. It's rock solid, but is a gigantic PITA when you're by yourself.

Bah Humbug 05-06-20 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21458913)
it would likely be just once in the winter when I swap to a trainer bike (unless I get myself a DD trainer before winter)

good to know on the batteries

Yeah twice a year would be fine. AG had me swapping twice a week, and that's too much.

Bah Humbug 05-06-20 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21458907)
Does it seem like he'd like to stick with boutique-ish builders? Maybe check out November's wares, too?

Otherwise, HED Ardennes are still the gold standard in an alloy rim, there's Fulcrums at UK sellers available for a song. Also, their inventory is ever changing, but TheProsCloset often has some really good deals. You've just gotta be careful though - if it looks like a screaming deal, make sure they're not tubular; they seem to have a lot of those come through their doors.

Can even do a peanut butter & chocolate approach and get November to build wheels with the Belgium rims and some boutique, possibly-colorful hubs. The stock hubs are absolutely fine though.

datlas 05-06-20 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21458963)
Well, it looks like IQ2s are slowly inching away from “vaporware” status and if they keep to the price point they’ve advertised till now, they might be the most affordable dual powermeters out there.

DCRainmaker just put a video out on the IQ2. First impression is they are decent.

ps this is one-sided. I don’t think 2 sided out yet

Bah Humbug 05-06-20 11:24 AM

After Brim Bros, I just don't even consider a PM company until they've been shipping units to happy customers for a year. A new entrant would be great (each new major entrant has dropped the prices across the board), but I wouldn't want to get the first batch of IQ2.

kissTheApex 05-06-20 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21459024)
DCRainmaker just put a video out on the IQ2. First impression is they are decent.

ps this is one-sided. I don’t think 2 sided out yet

oh I know. I didn’t expect they may come this far, so I think they may eventually get the dual out there as well.

rjones28 05-06-20 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21458824)
Speaking of which, my folks sent me a hundred bucks for my birthday and I saw Excel has Assos Not Bibs shorts on sale for $68 each, so I snagged 2 of them with my birthday loot.

Excellent

Velo Vol 05-06-20 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21458554)
Lubes I currently have on hand.

Home brew

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21458726)
Well that was one short summer

Summer? We've never fully made it to spring here. :foo:

datlas 05-06-20 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21459062)
Home brew

I have some too. What’s your recipe? I just used 2 parts mineral spirits to 1 part motor oil. Seems to work fine.

Velo Vol 05-06-20 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21459102)
I have some too. What’s your recipe? I just used 2 parts mineral spirits to 1 part motor oil. Seems to work fine.

That's what I mixed a couple weeks ago (I was going off my memory and didn't look it up). It's OK, I guess.

seedsbelize 05-06-20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21458627)
I'm in the frustrating position of constantly forgetting that I'm bored as hell with my usual routes... until it's actually time to ride. Then I stare at a map for 20 minutes, trying to iron out something new, before I eventually give up and head out on one of those same, tired routes.

My routes are extremely limited, due simply to a lack of roads in existence. For the most part I have been riding the same out and back for the past 3 or four years. Why? Good surface and few topes(speed bumps) Topes are used in place of traffic cops. They do their job very effectively. There can be dozens of them, if the route is chosen poorly.

datlas 05-06-20 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21459120)
That's what I mixed a couple weeks ago (I was going off my memory and didn't look it up). It's OK, I guess.

What it may lack in quality is made up by its low cost.

WhyFi 05-06-20 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21458977)
Getting bored with my usual routes has been one of the bigger motivators to ride longer distances that I've had this year.

There's lots of roads I like down south of town, but those would require driving to the start point, which I'm not a huge fan of, especially with the fendered bike which doesn't work with my bike rack. I have to use tie down straps to hold it upright in the bed of my truck :o. It's rock solid, but is a gigantic PITA when you're by yourself.

This made me think about it a little more - if I could always find 4 hours to ride, I don't think that I'd have a problem. Likewise, if I only have an hour, I don't have many options and it's more about maintenance than experience. I guess that I should just concentrate on that middle ground - 30-50 mile routes - and have a few in each general direction. That'll cut down on the legwork.

Ugh. I cannot drive to a ride. Not unless it's an organized ride of some kind that kicks off more than 15 miles or so from home.

WhyFi 05-06-20 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21459021)
Can even do a peanut butter & chocolate approach and get November to build wheels with the Belgium rims and some boutique, possibly-colorful hubs. The stock hubs are absolutely fine though.

I really like the looks of the Aivee (sp?) hubs that they carry, but I think they only do those in disc, so datlas' friend need not apply.

Velo Vol 05-06-20 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21459137)
Why? Good surface and few topes(speed bumps) Topes are used in place of traffic cops. They do their job very effectively. There can be dozens of them, if the route is chosen poorly.

That sounds extremely annoying.

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21459172)
What it may lack in quality is made up by its low cost.

#TeamFrugal

ls01 05-06-20 01:52 PM

Wheels.

Wheels. = China. Ebay. Kingbike888. Can't be beat. Good service. Warranty. Inexpensive. Carbon goodness.

There is a seller Carbonzone3856. DO NOT DO BIDNESS WITH THIS SELLER. No Bueno!
I have a transaction that is in limbo with this guy. No communication, I've asked PayPal to get involved. Were in the waiting period. 3 .5 months for a set of wheel that are available is too long. Is he swimming them here?

ls01 05-06-20 01:57 PM

So I managed to contaminate my disk brakes. I have already wiped them clean with brake clean and a clean cloth. Hasn't helped much. The rear brake is almost completely useless. Front makes all kinds of racket.
I am planning on taking the pads out and cleaning them in acetone. Then sanding them to break the glaze. And recleaning the rotors and rebedding them.
Anything else I should or shouldn't do?

seedsbelize 05-06-20 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21459193)
This made me think about it a little more - if I could always find 4 hours to ride, I don't think that I'd have a problem. Likewise, if I only have an hour, I don't have many options and it's more about maintenance than experience. I guess that I should just concentrate on that middle ground - 30-50 mile routes - and have a few in each general direction. That'll cut down on the legwork.

Ugh. I cannot drive to a ride. Not unless it's an organized ride of some kind that kicks off more than 15 miles or so from home.

Same. I'm considering riding from se Ohio to RAGBRAI in 2021