Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

WhyFi 04-20-20 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21428735)
Sad!

Indeed.

Velo Vol 04-20-20 08:20 AM

So unless the PUBLIC HEALTH system steps up and creates a scalable drive-up or walk-in testing option, I am very pessimistic about the situation. And terribly disappointed in my state and local health departments.

I don't really know what's going on (I've felt no urge to be personally tested) but over the weekend at select spots in the state they were offering testing to whoever came by designated testing spots, suggesting it's more available now that it was.

I don't know how public health stuff normally works, but the fact that the rules seem to haphazardly vary from one jurisdiction to the next is doesn't make sense to me.

Bah Humbug 04-20-20 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21428554)
Sorry, I fear I'm being dense as usual: So, you pick a course with long steady ascents and what do you do for rest intervals?

I wrote that while having my coffee on a particularly fuzzy morning, so it likely wasn't clear.

You can do a long steady climb course, but you can also set an intervals workout to slope. So for example, on my FTP test, it's 5' at 0%, 5' at 1%, 5' at 2%, 5' at 0%... then 20' at 4% and another 5/0-20/4. Because it's intervals, it's time-based rather than distance-based, but you can put out as much power as you have the legs for. In erg mode, I'd have to set the 20' intervals to 300w and hold it, or use the +/- keys to go a little harder. Especially for FTP testing, slope mode lets you see what you can really do instead of following a specific prescription.

seedsbelize 04-20-20 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21428745)
You have earned your peace.

I and many of the old-enough-to-know better athletes in my acquaintance have obsessive-compulsive/addictive personalities and need to ratchet up the training (pain) to get the same dose of anxiety reduction. We are also competitive perfectionists (jerks) and need to be faster than someone.

See? Anxiety based over-achieving never crossed my mind(Bah Hunbug excepted). Never having had a real world job, it's a foreign concept. The jobs I did have were mostly manual labor, and thus the competition with myself was moot. If I had the energy to ride at all. Farming can be very hard work, especially if the gathering of winter firewood is included in the mix
​​​

seedsbelize 04-20-20 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21428746)
The only really weird thing on this bike is the French thread BB. It unthreaded on me once out on a ride but I was able to limp home. Cleaned it up, applied thread locker, and really torqued it down and its been fine for the last ~200 miles.

Thankfully it takes a standard size quill stem.

I do suppose that the derailleur hanger is a bit weird, it's got Huret dropouts with the notch at the 4 o'clock position so you can only use certain Huret derailleurs, but I've got a full set of Huret Jubile shift gear if I ever want to go with multiple gears.

My 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe has a french sized quill stem. Odd.

Velo Vol 04-20-20 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21428781)
Farming can be very hard work, especially if the gathering of winter firewood is included in the mix
​​​

Where did you farm?

WhyFi 04-20-20 08:38 AM

See? Anxiety based over-achieving never crossed my mind(Bah Hunbug excepted). Never having had a real world job, it's a foreign concept. The jobs I did have were mostly manual labor, and thus the competition with myself was moot. If I had the energy to ride at all. Farming can be very hard work, especially if the gathering of winter firewood is included in the mix ​​​

I think that the anxiety reduction was in reference to the physical work/exertion, not necessarily the competitive aspect. I go through the same thing. If I don't exercise, my anxiety levels go up. I suspect that most humans are the same but a) some people work in jobs that are physically demanding and get in their necessary work that way and b) those with more sedentary jobs/lifestyles (you know, a big chunk of America) have simply gotten used to feeling ****ty and snippy and full of anxiety.

abshipp 04-20-20 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21428787)
My 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe has a french sized quill stem. Odd.

Definitely odd on a bike that new.

Even stranger, my 76 Motobecane takes a standard quill, but my 77 Japanese-built Super Le Tour has a French size quill and handlebar clamp :foo:

indyfabz 04-20-20 08:39 AM

Regarding the COVID19 issue, between me and an INDIVIDUAL patient who is sick, the need for testing is questionable. The current tests take a couple days to schedule and then 3 days for results, so by the time the results are back the patient is better and it almost does not matter.

I am going to confess that last Monday I woke up feeling crappy. Fatigue, G.I. issues, muscle and head aches and a flush feeling. Never had any breathing problems. Emailed my PC at Jeff. He said you "probably" have the virus, but we are not going to bother testing you unless you need to be hospitalized since it doesn't matter and we want to save tests. Ultimately, I think he was incorrect and that what I rally had was a stomach bug because each day I felt better and better and was felling no ill effects as of Friday morning at the latest.

datlas 04-20-20 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21428799)
I am going to confess that last Monday I woke up feeling crappy. Fatigue, G.I. issues, muscle and head aches and a flush feeling. Never had any breathing problems. Emailed my PC at Jeff. He said you "probably" have the virus, but we are not going to bother testing you unless you need to be hospitalized since it doesn't matter and we want to save tests. Ultimately, I think he was incorrect and that what I rally had was a stomach bug because each day I felt better and better and was felling no ill effects as of Friday morning at the latest.

Agree. The role for testing YOU as an individual is weak, you should assume you have it and self-isolate for 7 days from onset of symtpoms. That works great when we are all more or less in lockdown.

The BIG problem is testing for asymptomatic carriers. If we don't start doing this, when the restrictions are lifted there is a big chance of a second surge. Sad.

It sounds like Velo Vol's region is already set up. Mine is not and no plans to do so. That's ******** (stupid).

MoAlpha 04-20-20 08:44 AM

See? Anxiety based over-achieving never crossed my mind(Bah Hunbug excepted). Never having had a real world job, it's a foreign concept. The jobs I did have were mostly manual labor, and thus the competition with myself was moot. If I had the energy to ride at all. Farming can be very hard work, especially if the gathering of winter firewood is included in the mix
​​​

Competitive overachieving is a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

LAJ 04-20-20 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21428745)
You have earned your peace.

I and many of the old-enough-to-know better athletes in my acquaintance have obsessive-compulsive/addictive personalities and need to ratchet up the training (pain) to get the same dose of anxiety reduction. We are also competitive perfectionists (jerks) and need to be faster than someone.

This

LAJ 04-20-20 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21428808)
Competitive overachieving is a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

And this.

abshipp 04-20-20 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21428804)
The BIG problem is testing for asymptomatic carriers. If we don't start doing this, when the restrictions are lifted there is a big chance of a second surge. Sad.

It sounds like Velo Vol's region is already set up. Mine is not and no plans to do so. That's ******** (stupid).

My immediate metro area has a population of 350k and has no general testing centers. You can only get tested at a clinic or hospital if you show symptoms or if you are in healthcare or a first responder.

WhyFi 04-20-20 08:56 AM

Agree. The role for testing YOU as an individual is weak, you should assume you have it and self-isolate for 7 days from onset of symtpoms. That works great when we are all more or less in lockdown.

My wife was saying that the heath officials in MN were pretty confident that the U of MN had come up with a method of testing that could realistically be rolled out state-wide and that they hoped to do so soon-ish. Being an avid avoider of news, I don't know any more specifics, but that would be encouraging, if correct.

indyfabz 04-20-20 08:56 AM

I agree. You can talk about "re-opening" all you want, but you won't find me running out to see a movie or go to happy hour any time soon.

WhyFi 04-20-20 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21428834)
I agree. You can talk about "re-opening" all you want, but you won't find me running out to see a movie or go to happy hour any time soon.

I'd go to a movie, but I've always preferred going solo to a weekday matinee, so I wouldn't be within sneeze-range of anyone, anyway (and I'd wipe my armrests, etc).

datlas 04-20-20 09:11 AM

Until/unless they really ramp up the testing, you will have to either have everyone wear a mask OR face recurrent surges in illness.

MoAlpha 04-20-20 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21428876)
Until/unless they really ramp up the testing, you will have to either have everyone wear a mask OR face recurrent surges in illness.

Wearing a mask can put quite a damper on a happy hour.

MoAlpha 04-20-20 09:20 AM

BTW, wife's PPP loan application was revived by tech support at the bank. She signed the papers today. I had thought it was approved and she had blown the acceptance, but I'm still cautiously optimistic.

In other news, an elite athlete in SoCal requested to follow me on Strava today. :innocent:

datlas 04-20-20 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21428891)
Wearing a mask can put quite a damper on a happy hour.

Depends on your goals. Could act kinda like beer goggles.

MoAlpha 04-20-20 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21428900)
Depends on your goals. Could act kinda like beer goggles.

You can still drink with goggles on.

big john 04-20-20 09:27 AM

I hear gasoline is under a dollar per gallon in some places, still over $3 here but I haven't purchased any for weeks. I haven't started my car in a week but tomorrow I need to get groceries again. Mrs John hasn't started her car in a month.

Yesterday I took the mountain bike out for a spin and while I was climbing a rocky fire road 5 men on horseback joined me from an equestrian trail. It was weird, like a group ride but I was the only bike. One of the guys to my left started chatting and we had a nice conversation until they turned off on a different road.

ls01 04-20-20 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21428914)
I hear gasoline is under a dollar per gallon in some places, still over $3 here but I haven't purchased any for weeks. I haven't started my car in a week but tomorrow I need to get groceries again. Mrs John hasn't started her car in a month.

Yesterday I took the mountain bike out for a spin and while I was climbing a rocky fire road 5 men on horseback joined me from an equestrian trail. It was weird, like a group ride but I was the only bike. One of the guys to my left started chatting and we had a nice conversation until they turned off on a different road.

Damn John where are you @? I have several stations around me that are $1.08 some lower but they vary up and down. A couple have been @1 08 for over a week.

WhyFi 04-20-20 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21428914)

I saw 99 cent gas over the weekend in rural WI. I was floored. The last time I saw gas at less than a buck was prolly 20 years ago.

abshipp 04-20-20 09:42 AM

Me either.

I mean, I didn't do those things before, but it's a sacrifice I will continue to make. :D

Trsnrtr 04-20-20 09:44 AM

I get anxious just thinking about it. My wife and I went to Aldis this morning and spilt up our list to get done faster and minimize our exposure time. Five minutes in, my wife found me and said she just wanted to leave. I can't say that I blamed her one bit.

big john 04-20-20 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21428943)
Damn John where are you @? I have several stations around me that are $1.08 some lower but they vary up and down. A couple have been @1 08 for over a week.

I live in a suburb of L.A., about 25 miles north of downtown. The thing about California is the oil companies always gaff us mercilessly and many people believe the high prices are due to high tax or winter blend fuel or something.

big john 04-20-20 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21428958)
I get anxious just thinking about it. My wife and I went to Aldis this morning and spilt up our list to get done faster and minimize our exposure time. Five minutes in, my wife found me and said she just wanted to leave. I can't say that I blamed her one bit.

Why did she want to leave? Was it crazy busy? Last week we shopped and it wasn't bad.

datlas 04-20-20 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21428909)
You can still drink with goggles on.

Wear a fenestrated mask? Can fit a drink stir type straw through it.