Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

jman0war 06-16-15 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate (Post 17898824)
I dug them outta my shed this past weekend and have to say they're in pretty bad shape. Been two+ years since I dismantled the bike they were on so memory was fuzzy about exactly how much "patina" was involved.

Nonetheless, you're welcome to them if you pay shipping. My plans for them had been to one day, some day, take them to where one of my buddies is bead blasting some classic automobile sheet metal and borrow the big dog unit to do the heavy work of getting them down to bare metal.

I'd be taking them along with several other decrepit parts and a couple of 12 paks of Sierra Nevada Pale ale to lubricate the machinery...

Well i think this is my 50th post, the magic number to do PM's :thumb:

smontanaro 06-18-15 08:23 AM

For the three-speed lover on your gift list who has everything:

Vintage Bicycle Raleigh DL1 Frame Set 22" for 28" Wheel Roaster N Old Stock 1979 | eBay

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNj...kBg~~60_57.JPG

Sixty Fiver 06-18-15 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 17904961)
For the three-speed lover on your gift list who has everything:

Makes one wonder where the rest of the bike went...

Velocivixen 06-18-15 04:25 PM

Any of you have 3 speeds that you keep only because they're unique or interesting, despite the fact they don't fit you? My 1955 Phillips has an effective top tube length of 58cm. I ride road bikes at around 50cm. I just can't get comfy on this bike to ride more than about a mile. I keep it because it's pre-raleigh, had all original parts and was fun to work on. I build new wheels around the original hubs.

It's really not fun to ride and I vacillate between selling so someone else will love Prince Phillips and keeping it "just because".

Narhay 06-18-15 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 17906767)
Any of you have 3 speeds that you keep only because they're unique or interesting, despite the fact they don't fit you? My 1955 Phillips has an effective top tube length of 58cm. I ride road bikes at around 50cm. I just can't get comfy on this bike to ride more than about a mile. I keep it because it's pre-raleigh, had all original parts and was fun to work on. I build new wheels around the original hubs.

It's really not fun to ride and I vacillate between selling so someone else will love Prince Phillips and keeping it "just because".

If you like 3 speeds then find another frame and move the parts over. Or buy a new bike and keep the one you have original. No sense in being sentimental about it if it just doesn't fit. Maybe you'll find something else equally cool or better and someone else can find what you found in the Phillips.

Velocivixen 06-18-15 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Narhay (Post 17906787)
If you like 3 speeds then find another frame and move the parts over. Or buy a new bike and keep the one you have original. No sense in being sentimental about it if it just doesn't fit. Maybe you'll find something else equally cool or better and someone else can find what you found in the Phillips.

Yeah, I've got it for sale on my local CL for a killer deal. Didn't take fantastic shots of it though....

I troll local CL for a smaller size.

Sixty Fiver 06-18-15 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 17906767)

There is no sense in keeping a bike that you cannot ride comfortably, unless you have friends who might enjoy using it and then you have a nice spare.

Our Raleigh 20's get loaned out a lot since they fit such a wide range of riders.

Velocivixen 06-18-15 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 17907026)
There is no sense in keeping a bike that you cannot ride comfortably, unless you have friends who might enjoy using it and then you have a nice spare.

Our Raleigh 20's get loaned out a lot since they fit such a wide range of riders.

There's a Raleigh 20 on sale locally & I emailed the seller.

RALEIGH Folder Twenty Folding Bicycle 1960's

Thoughts? Is this a good price? Things I might look for? Personally I can't imagine the seat gets high enough, but if you ride one then I could ride one. Seller said he'd lower the price, he just threw that price out there.

jmeb 06-18-15 06:48 PM

So I thought my project was finished last night. Built it all up and then tried to adjust the shifter. Turns out the S3X hub isn't compatible with an old trigger shifter despite some LBS advice. Ordered the correct thumbie shifter today, but won't get it for a number of days. Here it is right before its first test ride (in 1st only so as not to shift it improperly.)

A 1966 Carlton/Raleigh Catalina, re-garbed with an S3X wheelset, VO north roads, a Brooks Saddle and Tektro levers from [MENTION=243294]acoffin[/MENTION] , and a Nelson Carradice on a quick release Bagman with an added leather strap for carrying as my commute bag.

http://i.imgur.com/cEtfmqz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DCiJQGF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8xuM4M3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vztBYwT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5LF9rep.jpg

Sixty Fiver 06-18-15 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 17907085)

Thoughts? Is this a good price? Things I might look for? Personally I can't imagine the seat gets high enough, but if you ride one then I could ride one. Seller said he'd lower the price, he just threw that price out there.

For Portland that is a great price and if you get it for less even better.

The stock seat tube is also long enough to fit someone 6 feet tall... the stock post works for my five foot ten frame and I have only swapped them out because of lighter alloys and modern seat clamps.

markk900 06-18-15 08:04 PM

[MENTION=246236]jmeb[/MENTION]: even better now we can see the whole bike! Great job....what gearing did you end up with?

jmeb 06-18-15 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 17907296)
@jmeb: even better now we can see the whole bike! Great job....what gearing did you end up with?

Thanks! For now I'm at 54x18. It's a bit steep but 1st is direct drive, and the next two are steps down. I had 54x20 on there but rear tire clearance with the 35s was really minimal. Going to ride it for a while and see if current can works before purchasing a corresponding freewheel.

clubman 06-18-15 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 17907085)

I'm aware Portland is expensive but these are just fun utility 3 speeds and really should be at least half the price IMO.

clubman 06-18-15 08:27 PM

53 Royce Union "Clubman". This was trash picked by a friend this week and it has a 53 AB drum brake 3 speed, single butted Renolds, EA1 wheels, lamp bracket and 3 pin crank that looks like a Nicklin. Mansfield sadlle, The drum brake is weak so someone added another caliper to the rear.
Great find, Sorry no time for detail pics.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l...9-no/upload_-1

thumpism 06-19-15 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 17907352)

Cranks out of phase. Maybe one cotter inserted from the wrong direction?

clubman 06-19-15 09:32 AM

Good eye, it sure looks that way. I'll take a nice cotter to my friends and also redo the BB when I get a chance.

I'd love to find an original drum brake cable for it but that may be a challenge

The bars were obviously swapped out, it has a weird non-brit stem I've never see. while the rest of the bike screams drop bars so maybe I can talk him into it.

noglider 06-19-15 10:35 AM

[MENTION=355580]Velocivixen[/MENTION], test ride that Twenty extensively to see if you like it. Many love Twentys, but I haven't learned to like them. I souped one up many years ago and ended up throwing it away. I have one now, quite souped up, and I just don't like the ride. You should know that the original brakes are unconscionably bad. This time, I solved that by building a front wheel with a Sturmey Archer drum brake hub. I put Kool Stop pads on the rear brake and called it good enough, since I don't demand much of my rear brakes. Both rims are now aluminum. The original rims are extremely heavy. Also, some Twentys came with plastic sleeve bearings as the top part of the headset. It's awful. I'm in the middle of installing a real headset, threadless. I will cut the head tube down so the steerer tube sticks out enough to clamp the stem onto the steerer tube.

Maybe if I find the right handlebars and position them well, I will like the bike. Handlebar changes seem to make the radicalest (to coin a word) difference on a bike for me.

adventurepdx 06-19-15 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 17907337)
I'm aware Portland is expensive but these are just fun utility 3 speeds and really should be at least half the price IMO.

Well, if you think Portland prices are so expensive, you should bring a truck full of low-priced three-speeds from Nova Scotia. I'll be waitin' for ya! ;)

Velocivixen 06-19-15 10:52 AM

[MENTION=152773]noglider[/MENTION] - thanks so much for the detailed info. I'm going to see the bike in a bit, and have been reading up on them as much as I am able. Is there a way to tell, by looking if it has the plastic sleeve berings as part of the headset?

Thanks so much. I'm not in a hurry to buy a bike. There's a Coffee colored Raleigh Sports for a shorter rider on CL. I spoke to the guy and will go see it either this evening or this weekend. It's this one.
Vintage Ladies City Bike - Beautiful Raleigh, new tires, 5'1-5'5

I wouldn't pay $195 for it, but at least would go see it and test ride.

If I bought the Twenty it would likely be more for a "project" but we'll see.
[MENTION=246236]jmeb[/MENTION] - you did a nice job on your bike. Very clean looking. Thanks for posting.

Salubrious 06-19-15 11:06 AM

@Velocivixen If I were you, I would hold out for a better example. Step-through frames seem to be more common on CL so if you are patient you can usually find something more 'interesting'.

Here's an example:

Raleigh Superbe 3 speed Vintage Antique bicycle

noglider 06-19-15 11:11 AM

58cm effective top tube? Were Phillipses really that different from Raleighs? The Raleighs I've ridden all have uncomfortably short top tubes, compounded with short stems and swept back handlebars. I haven't measured any, though.

noglider 06-19-15 11:14 AM

[MENTION=246236]jmeb[/MENTION], it's really nice. Look for shorter straddle cables for the brakes. They will give you more leverage, which will make braking easier.

Also, try tipping the handlebars down a bit so the grips are perpendicular to your forearms.

We could have told you that you can't use an old trigger shifter. Oh well. You'll have it soon.

Velocivixen 06-19-15 11:29 AM

[MENTION=330095]Salubrious[/MENTION] - I saw one of those on our local CL awhile back. Good to know. I'd like to have one three speed that I loved riding vs a whole bunch that are sort of "ok".

With the Raleigh Twenty, if it rides and doesn't have issues I may get it because I've never had a folder and it wouldn't take up that much space if I decided it would be a work in progress over time.

jmeb 06-19-15 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17908878)
@jmeb, it's really nice. Look for shorter straddle cables for the brakes. They will give you more leverage, which will make braking easier.

Also, try tipping the handlebars down a bit so the grips are perpendicular to your forearms.

We could have told you that you can't use an old trigger shifter. Oh well. You'll have it soon.

Good trip re:straddle cables. I will look.

I have already adjust the bars down a bit to get a more support.

As far as the trigger. I did actually ask here on BF as well and got a thumbs up to use a trigger with the S3X. However it turns out that person misread my post and was thinking of another hub.

clubman 06-19-15 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 17908795)
Well, if you think Portland prices are so expensive, you should bring a truck full of low-priced three-speeds from Nova Scotia. I'll be waitin' for ya! ;)

Toronto (formerly known as York, an enclave of anglo-centric Canada) is where you go for that, at least in the old days. I'm sure I'd bought dozens of Raleigh Superbes for under $20 before vintage biking took off in the 2000's.

Nova Scotians are tighter with their money because they have to be.