Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Thank you Canyon (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1257533)

TakingMyTime 08-26-22 08:23 AM

Thank you Canyon

Canyon Endurace 8 Di2 (Ultegra 12 speed)

I thought I'd do a little write-up on my purchase experience and my impressions of their Customer Service and the quality of the bike. I'm fortunate to live close enough to their Carlsbad showroom so I could actually sit on my prospective bike (size confirmation) before purchasing. The people at the showroom were great. Maybe it's because they're not pressured to sell you a bike it lends itself to a more relaxed atmosphere? Anyway, the guys there were great.

The bike arrived but there was a defective front brake caliper. I notified Customer service, they treated it as a warranty repair and I had the replacement caliper in my hands in 9 days. They told me to take it to my LBS and they would credit me the cost once I returned the old caliper (on their dime). Canyon handled everything in a incredibly professional manner. While going through this hiccup I never felt that there was any hesitation on their part and that they definitely were working in my best interest. I have read of some people being really upset with how they were treated and all I can say is that I don't think I could have been treated better.

I'm VERY happy with the bike. All the touch points are 90% more comfortable than my previous ride. I think I'm becoming a bit of a fan boy.

rsbob 08-26-22 08:51 AM

Glad you had a good experience. But others here… https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...r-service.html

TakingMyTime 08-26-22 09:21 AM

^^ I did read that thread and I will say that making a purchase like this (direct to consumer) had me concerned ^^

All I can tell you is what I experienced and how I was treated. As far as the in-person experience went in their showroom it was Great. I live on the West Coast and their warehouse in Chino, Ca had the bike to me in a couple of days. I've used their online chat and maybe had to wait for 10 minutes as most. Each time I've called I'm speaking to a live person almost immediately. When you fill out an online contact form it says it might be 7-10 days before they're able to get back to you and I was always responded to within 4 days at the most. My warranty claim included them obtaining a new caliper from Shimano and sending it to me and I don't think that cold have been handled any faster.

Every experience and contact I've had with them has been nothing but fantastic.

mflacche 08-26-22 01:55 PM

I bought 2 bikes from Canyon this year, the first one I returned and the second I kept. I found them to be very helpful, and the value for what you get is hard to discredit. A couple local bike shops have nothing but bad things to say about Canyon; this is likely because they have no competitive bikes that match the components and features of a Canyon, at a similar price point. For example, call the bike shops near you, and ask if they have a full carbon road bike with aero cockpit, Ultegra Di2, DT Swiss wheels, and under 17 lbs... for $4900... they will likely laugh then say no. I found a local bike mechanic who has a more impressive home shop than all of my local bike shops, and is very impressed with Canyon and quite willing to work on them... so that's good enough for me.

Fahrenheit531 08-26-22 01:58 PM

I dunno. Good customer service or not I'd be pretty salty if I dropped Canyon-level money on a new bike and it showed up with a bad brake caliper.

TakingMyTime 08-26-22 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531 (Post 22624954)
I dunno. Good customer service or not I'd be pretty salty if I dropped Canyon-level money on a new bike and it showed up with a bad brake caliper.

Trust me, it definitely sucked a lot of that new bike excitement out of the room really fast. I was not happy about getting my new bike after months and months of agonizing over which bike to get but... sometimes things happen and I guess I drew the short straw on this one. If they wouldn't have been so helpful I'd be starting a whole different thread here.

TakingMyTime 08-26-22 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by mflacche (Post 22624951)
I bought 2 bikes from Canyon this year, the first one I returned and the second I kept. I found them to be very helpful, and the value for what you get is hard to discredit. A couple local bike shops have nothing but bad things to say about Canyon; this is likely because they have no competitive bikes that match the components and features of a Canyon, at a similar price point. For example, call the bike shops near you, and ask if they have a full carbon road bike with aero cockpit, Ultegra Di2, DT Swiss wheels, and under 17 lbs... for $4900... they will likely laugh then say no. I found a local bike mechanic who has a more impressive home shop than all of my local bike shops, and is very impressed with Canyon and quite willing to work on them... so that's good enough for me.

Exactly. I don't think you can find the same bang for the buck anywhere. And, on top of actually finding someone who has a model, size and color in stock that appeals to you is a feat in itself.

spelger 08-26-22 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531 (Post 22624954)

I would not be surprised if that happens with LBSs with different brands. You, as a customer just don't see it. They do have to be shipped from a factory/warehouse you know.

scott967 08-26-22 08:39 PM

They want $650 to ship to Hawaii. Last time I bought bike from mainland it as $125. Bikes Direct is $289 for bike that costs 1/2 the canyon endurace. So no sale here.

scott s.

MarcusT 08-26-22 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime (Post 22624394)
Canyon Endurace 8 Di2 (Ultegra 12 speed)

I thought I'd do a little write-up on my purchase experience and my impressions of their Customer Service and the quality of the bike. I'm fortunate to live close enough to their Carlsbad showroom so I could actually sit on my prospective bike (size confirmation) before purchasing. The people at the showroom were great. Maybe it's because they're not pressured to sell you a bike it lends itself to a more relaxed atmosphere? Anyway, the guys there were great.

The bike arrived but there was a defective front brake caliper. I notified Customer service, they treated it as a warranty repair and I had the replacement caliper in my hands in 9 days. They told me to take it to my LBS and they would credit me the cost once I returned the old caliper (on their dime). Canyon handled everything in a incredibly professional manner. While going through this hiccup I never felt that there was any hesitation on their part and that they definitely were working in my best interest. I have read of some people being really upset with how they were treated and all I can say is that I don't think I could have been treated better.

I'm VERY happy with the bike. All the touch points are 90% more comfortable than my previous ride. I think I'm becoming a bit of a fan boy.

It's good to see that you are satisfied with the experience, but a few things would have ticked me off.
Already mentioned, the defective caliper, how does that not get caught at final inspection?
9 days for a replacement to arrive, where LBS would be same day and online stores delivered within 48 hrs
Credit for the LBS labor cost? Does this mean you have to buy Canyon products to get equivalent funds back?
With that experience, I would not be writing a rave review

TakingMyTime 08-27-22 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by MarcusT (Post 22625426)
It's good to see that you are satisfied with the experience, but a few things would have ticked me off.
Already mentioned, the defective caliper, how does that not get caught at final inspection?
9 days for a replacement to arrive, where LBS would be same day and online stores delivered within 48 hrs
Credit for the LBS labor cost? Does this mean you have to buy Canyon products to get equivalent funds back?
With that experience, I would not be writing a rave review

Yes, I do agree that the defective caliper getting by them during the assembly process seems hard to explain. It was a VERY slow leak and it may not have manifested itself until long after the box was sealed up. And to address your other subject, before initiating the warranty repair I did take it to my very big local chain of LBS (Canyon instructed me to go and get it fixed on their dime) and they said they could not tell me when they would be able to obtain a new caliper "none of my suppliers have any of these in stock, It might be 3 months". Canyon covered all the expenses related to the repair. Yes, labor was included. They even replaced the rotor (in case it had been contaminated with oil). One other reason it took 9 days was that Shimano only sends warranty replacement parts to authorized shops, not directly to customers. So, Canyon had to request the part be sent to them by Shimano and then they forwarded the part to me.

Yes, I agree that not being able to open the box, assemble my NEW bike and enjoy it for more than 4 miles was a buzz kill. But I got over it and have already put 360 miles on it.

TakingMyTime 08-27-22 08:04 AM

It may have been overlooked in this thread and I know I mentioned it elsewhere, Canyon also included a $300 4iiii power meter at no extra charge. I had heard of other people getting t-shirts and other swag thrown into the box but a Power Meter was just so much icing.

Mtracer 08-27-22 10:29 AM

Happy new bike day. Hiccups often happen. When you buy direct, you pay less but of course don’t get the same level of support going though an authorized LBS. It’s simply the trade off that you make. Neither a right or wrong choice.

I also think your attitude is wonderful. While there can be times to get angry about something, this wasn’t one for you. As you said, you believe they handled it the best they could given the direct sales model they have. It’s part of what you signed up for buying direct.

Enjoy your new bike!